First post...Strat to PRS

... your muscle memory will play tricks on you....

This is the heart of the matter. When you moving from one type of guitar to a different type of guitar, your mind/body has to make the appropriate, unconscious adjustments. Think about it, when you're playing, you literally don't have time to think about where your hands and fingers go. Get into a score in cut time, and the issue is compounded.

22-007-01-Product-Design_Watermarked__42726.1394382678.500.659.jpg

I just experienced this with the new McCarty. It was awkward for at least the first 20 hours. As you can see for the diagram above, once you get up around the 12th fret you can be a whole fret off from your "regular" positions. Here are my work guitars:

ES-335: 24.75"
Tele: 25.5"
J-45: 25.5"

The McCarty 594 is, as we all famously know, 24.594".

It took some time -- more time than you're going to get sitting in a guitar shop trying out guitars -- for my hands and head to adjust. Now it's effortless (or as effortless as making music is...).

So, if I understand correctly...the extra frets only add about half an inch to the neck...and that length is at the body, not towards the headstock and the neck pickups are moved to the rear to compensate for the extra length. So, if I were hold the guitar blindfolded, the actual frets are in about the same place as the Strat...it just has two more of them at the end.

A custom 24 is 'slightly' longer from the bottom of the body to the the tip of the headstock. This is because the neck is slightly longer as it joins the body at a few frets higher.

03CF183D-2CB0-43F2-8B4D-B88A9A338E0Bb77aaf96509773f6.jpg

If you look at the picture above and pay attention to the fret markers, you will see on the 22, the top of the body appears to join on the 21st fret, the fret with the Hawk landing. On the Cu24, the neck appears to join on the 23rd fret - the one before the owl - that's the difference in length.

The neck Pick up is in the same position on the body on both guitars but because the neck is now longer on the Cu24, the nut is slightly further away. To keep the same 25" scale length, the bridge has to be moved slightly further towards the neck pick up which also means the Bridge pick-up is moved towards the neck slightly too. The reason the bridge pick-ups sound so similar though is because they are both the same distance from the bridge and its distance from the bridge that determines the way pick-ups sound. The string cannot vibrate as much near the bridge - that's where the string is anchored and the further away, the more it can move. Whilst the neck Pick-ups are in the same place on both, its the fact that the bridge is moved closer on the Cu24 that changes the way the neck Pick-up sounds.

Many people think that all PRS do is stick another two frets on which then means the neck has to move back a bit but in reality, the neck stays put - its the bridge and bridge PU that are moved as the neck is longer and therefore the nut is further away. The advantage of this though is that because the neck joins higher up, its easier to reach the 22nd fret - especially on the low E if you ever needed to. If they stuck 2 frets on the end and moved the neck Pick up, frets 23 and 24 would be very much more difficult to reach and play.

The extra length of the neck obviously means that the headstock is slightly further from the body. Scale length determines the size of the fret gap - the distance between the fret wires. The shorter the scale, the narrower the fret gap. The first fret gap on a strat is much larger than the equivalent fret on a Les Paul. That's why you can't use a single notched straight edge for ALL guitars and why they are sold according to scale length. Most are dual purpose - 1 edge for 1 scale length and the other edge for another.

20190315151419.jpg

There are a lot of differences between a PRS Cu22/24 and a Strat and its best to try each out and compare yourself...

A custom 24 is 'slightly' longer from the bottom of the body to the the tip of the headstock. This is because the neck is slightly longer as it joins the body at a few frets higher.

If you look at the picture above and pay attention to the fret markers, you will see on the 22, the top of the body appears to join on the 21st fret, the fret with the Hawk landing. On the Cu24, the neck appears to join on the 23rd fret - the one before the owl - that's the difference in length.

The neck Pick up is in the same position on the body on both guitars but because the neck is now longer on the Cu24, the nut is slightly further away. To keep the same 25" scale length, the bridge has to be moved slightly further towards the neck pick up which also means the Bridge pick-up is moved towards the neck slightly too. The reason the bridge pick-ups sound so similar though is because they are both the same distance from the bridge and its distance from the bridge that determines the way pick-ups sound. The string cannot vibrate as much near the bridge - that's where the string is anchored and the further away, the more it can move. Whilst the neck Pick-ups are in the same place on both, its the fact that the bridge is moved closer on the Cu24 that changes the way the neck Pick-up sounds.

Many people think that all PRS do is stick another two frets on which then means the neck has to move back a bit but in reality, the neck stays put - its the bridge and bridge PU that are moved as the neck is longer and therefore the nut is further away. The advantage of this though is that because the neck joins higher up, its easier to reach the 22nd fret - especially on the low E if you ever needed to. If they stuck 2 frets on the end and moved the neck Pick up, frets 23 and 24 would be very much more difficult to reach and play.

The extra length of the neck obviously means that the headstock is slightly further from the body. Scale length determines the size of the fret gap - the distance between the fret wires. The shorter the scale, the narrower the fret gap. The first fret gap on a strat is much larger than the equivalent fret on a Les Paul. That's why you can't use a single notched straight edge for ALL guitars and why they are sold according to scale length. Most are dual purpose - 1 edge for 1 scale length and the other edge for another.

20190315151419.jpg

There are a lot of differences between a PRS Cu22/24 and a Strat and its best to try each out and compare yourself...

That's a lot to unpack. Thanks for the information. I am going to try to get to the store today and play one to see if my novice hands can tell a difference. I'm ready to plop down the $$$ assuming it's as great as everyone says they are...unfortunately, the only SE Standard they have in stock is blue, but they said as an authorized dealer they can have one shipped in Tobacco or Cherry if I wanted. I'l just have to wait a bit.

Bottom line: some people have problems transitioning between different scale lengths and different number of frets; others don't. You have to see which camp you are in. The time you spend with one, the more difference it MAY make.

Personally, I like longer "standard" scales -- 25" to 25.5", because I like the tension. I also like the way Drop D, and Open G sound and feel with the longer scale--I hate the floppies. That said, I don't have a problem with shorter scales. My favorite grab-and-pluck acoustic is a shorter 12 fret parlour, and I leave it in D Standard almost exclusively. Go figure.

Starting out as a complete novice I had no idea what I’d like and no amount of specs could really help with that. I decided to jump in head first and just get what spoke to me on any level and do what humans do best... adapt.

I had the advantage of being older and having well developed tastes so the first part was easy, just look for guitars that fit my tastes for quality, style, and aesthetics. The second part was much more challenging but only because I’d never played ANY guitar before. Learning would have been a challenge on any guitar but playing quality instruments that really appealed to me on other levels made it a lot more enjoyable.

When my brain has no idea which way to go I follow my heart. I think that’s a valuable asset with the dizzying array of marketing claims and options out there to confuse the crap out of us. You really can’t rely on opinions that much either because even “expert” opinions are always divided. At some point you just have to kind of wing it and trust your intuition and I think too many of us have lost that trust. I’m here to say that our intuition is the only thing we really can trust :)

...and now back to your regular programming :)

20190315151419.jpg

This is exactly what I was saying when I posted the pic... just not in so many words. Lol

Starting out as a complete novice I had no idea what I’d like and no amount of specs could really help with that. I decided to jump in head first and just get what spoke to me on any level and do what humans do best... adapt.

I had the advantage of being older and having well developed tastes so the first part was easy, just look for guitars that fit my tastes for quality, style, and aesthetics. The second part was much more challenging but only because I’d never played ANY guitar before. Learning would have been a challenge on any guitar but playing quality instruments that really appealed to me on other levels made it a lot more enjoyable.

When my brain has no idea which way to go I follow my heart. I think that’s a valuable asset with the dizzying array of marketing claims and options out there to confuse the crap out of us. You really can’t rely on opinions that much either because even “expert” opinions are always divided. At some point you just have to kind of wing it and trust your intuition and I think too many of us have lost that trust. I’m here to say that our intuition is the only thing we really can trust :)

...and now back to your regular programming :)

I finally got to try out the PRS today...I love it! Yes, the neck is different, but not anything I can't get over. One thing I noticed is that the strings seemed a lot more lively. Man it felt good. Got to get one. More to follow soon. The store only had blue. They are looking for Tobacco Sunburst for me. Man, I can't wait to get one.

Welcome!

When getting a new guitar, sometimes it's a good thing to get something different. It's the reason why you are looking for a new one anyway. Try out a 24 if th feel and tone fits you.

Take a look at the S2 line. You may be able to find one within your budget in the used market. The S2 line are made in the US alongside the core models with import hardwand electronics. They would be a great platform for mods if you wish as a future project. But, they are also great as it is.

If there is a difference? If its the the same guitar, there will be differences in tone because of the pickup positions. In terms of playability, I'm sure you will adapt. I also have a 28" baritone and I have no problem switching back and forth.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pre-delivery photos. Sweetwater lets you pick out the specific guitar you want. They had 4 of these in Tobacco Sunburst. This one is about 2 shades darker than the other 3. \\

Never mind, Can't post pictures.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! (Would you believe that some people here post for years before even owning a PRS? Sounds crazy, right? :D)

I can’t wait to read your review and (once you have your preferred strings on it) comparison to your other guitar.

Oh, Happy Day!

Reactions: pgj
Welcome to the club! (Would you believe that some people here post for years before even owning a PRS? Sounds crazy, right? :D)

I can’t wait to read your review and (once you have your preferred strings on it) comparison to your other guitar.

Oh, Happy Day!

It was just less than two, if you class that as years, so be it!;)

Well congratulations!! Looking forward also for your opinion and review! I think you’ll be STOKED!!

Reactions: pgj
Back