First Post - CE Models from the 80s & 90s

AdvenJack

Recreational Player
:) Hello To All,

I am hoping to learn more about these CE Model Guitars from decades ago.
I know there are 24 fret and 22 fret models. Do those have different lengths
of scale from one another? What differences are there between them all in all?
I've read somewhere over the years that the CEs were NOT made in the U.S.A.
That's something I never investigated. Do you all know the answer? Thank you
all for your camaraderie, and for the knowledge that you'll share with me.

Best regards,
Jack

They went away for a few years. When they relaunched in 2016 (?) they were still made in the US, but some of the hardware is imported. The newer ones also don’t have as much violin carve as the older ones.

The CE24 came out in 1988. All with 24 fret wide thin necks. Any rosewood was Indian rosewood not Brazilian. This question comes up a lot as set neck models all had Brazilian rosewood until 1992.
CE22 came out in 1994. Wide fat necks and Dragon 1 pickups until 1998. Wide fat neck and a tremolo. Not often a combo you find on a PRS.

More here

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/model_history

Anyhow, They are good and inexpensive compared to other core models.

The CE24 came out in 1988. All with 24 fret wide thin necks. Any rosewood was Indian rosewood not Brazilian. This question comes up a lot as set neck models all had Brazilian rosewood until 1992.
CE22 came out in 1994. Wide fat necks and Dragon 1 pickups until 1998. Wide fat neck and a tremolo. Not often a combo you find on a PRS.

More here

I could have sworn I saw an order form from the 80s that listed Indian rosewood as the standard fretboard material but Brazilian was something like a $10 upcharge. I remember it because that's shockingly cheap even by 1980s pricing standards.

I could have sworn I saw an order form from the 80s that listed Indian rosewood as the standard fretboard material but Brazilian was something like a $10 upcharge. I remember it because that's shockingly cheap even by 1980s pricing standards.
As near as I know, all rosewood boards on CE's were Indian Rosewood. If we learn differently, I will stand corrected.

As near as I know, all rosewood boards on CE's were Indian Rosewood. If we learn differently, I will stand corrected.
Oh, I'm sorry, I was reacting to this statement: "This question comes up a lot as set neck models all had Brazilian rosewood until 1992."

Just bought a 1988 CE 24 earlier this week. The build quality puts my Teles and LPs to shame. Was in tune after being shipped across country too.

It’s a an alder body with maple top. Maple neck and rosewood board. Rings like a bell unplugged and has that PRS never ending sustain when plugged in. Highly recommended.

I recently sold a ‘91 CE-24 and ‘95 CE-22. I’m sure I’ll regret it when everything goes back to normal. Nice high quality guitars.

More here

Anyhow, They are good and inexpensive compared to other core models.

I made the cardinal sin of selling off my 1996 holloflake CE22....man I really miss that one....my wife called it my "Bass Boat" guitar lol

Educated is what I'm getting as a result of this thread, and I APPECIATE IT VERY MUCH ! I don't believe that anyone has stated the length of scale, numerically, thus far. I request that one of you informed folks would post that. Thanks again. :)

25" scale, mine had the Wide Thin neck profile which honestly I didn't care for as it caused my hand to cramp up. I am still looking for another one Early Mid 90's with a Wide Fat neck and an off beat top or finsh.

Educated is what I'm getting as a result of this thread, and I APPECIATE IT VERY MUCH ! I don't believe that anyone has stated the length of scale, numerically, thus far. I request that one of you informed folks would post that. Thanks again. :)

Scale length was/is the standard 25" PRS spec.

Following up, when a guitarist has a preference for a 22 fret neck over a 24 fret neck,
what would the basis for that preference be? (And likewise the reverse question) Are
there other reasons that a player prefers a 24 fret neck, in addition to the obvious point
that there are more notes to choose from on a 24 fret neck?

Back