Finish clouding issue question

Blue4Now

I have a wonderful 2003 custom 22. The finish remains perfect. Is there any chance the clouding might suddenly appear at this point ? Am I safe at 20 years old now ?

It is hard to say. I had one of mine cloud and it was after I owned it for 9 or 10 years. Once it started it progressively got worse. PRS refinished it for me under warrantee. If you bought the guitar new, it could be a warrantee repair. If you are not the original purchaser it could cost you to have it refinished, if you wanted to have that done.

Am I right in thinking that it was the V12 years were most likely to cloud? Sergio?

The one I have that clouded was V12. However, I have seen plenty of the poly finishes cloud. It seems to be more common on natural or lighter finishes from what I have seen. The one that clouded on me is natural back and sides.

I bought a 2003 2-3 years ago that was absolutely perfect when I bought it, but it started hazing after about 6 months. I don't remember what part of the country it shipped to me from, but maybe if it's been with you since new you'll be safe.

I bought a 2003 2-3 years ago that was absolutely perfect when I bought it, but it started hazing after about 6 months. I don't remember what part of the country it shipped to me from, but maybe if it's been with you since new you'll be safe.
That’s really surprising. Is it a lighter color?

The only thing I have heard that was a suspected cause is that if you live in a high humidity environment that may promote it. I don't know if there is any truth to that or if it really is a cause. I know mine has spent it's life in South Florida, which is the definition of high humidity.

That’s really surprising. Is it a lighter color?
Tortoise Shell. You can kind of see it on the horns in the image below, but it looked worse in person.
Closeup-Tortoise.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I have heard that was a suspected cause is that if you live in a high humidity environment that may promote it. I don't know if there is any truth to that or if it really is a cause. I know mine has spent it's life in South Florida, which is the definition of high humidity.
I also believe this to be true. A member from the SE Asia area posted about how many cloudy guitars are in that area of the world.

Am I right in thinking that it was the V12 years were most likely to cloud? Sergio?

My 2011 P22 has serious clouding on the back clearcoat or whatever they were using for a finish back then in a few places. The Gold top is perfect and the right color…
I love that guitar with the jumbo frets and it sounds amazing with the wraparound bridge. I just live with it. Bought it used for way less than half of what a new one goes for. The 53/10‘s and the acoustic pick up are just a great match for that guitar.
Such is life.. guitars are tools for me and Paul Reed Smith builds some great tools that are the connection from what I am thinking musically in my brain, to what is coming out of my guitar cabinet…..

Last edited:
Back