Finish Checking on Brand New PRS McCarty Wood Library?

Drock

hi all - new to the forum here. So I just bought a brand new 2021 McCarty wood library (Korina). And the day after I received it, I noticed that the finish has already started to crack! Big line from the top of the body to the bottom, then another one from the toggle switch down to the bottom. I did wait 24 hours before I opened the box - guess that didn't do any good.

I have heard how Nitro finishes can be - but on the day I received the thing? Just curious what your thoughts are on this. I have the option to send it back, but I now understand that all of the core series models have Nitro finishes, so I'll probably experience the same thing with any other ones that I exchange for? The seller (retail) mentioned that these finishes will check eventually, it's just a matter of when. And with this nitro finish checking, do the lines just start showing up all over the place then eventually the finish starts coming off in pieces? Sorry, I am a long way from understanding Nitro finishes so any help or input would be great appreciated!

Sorry, haven't figured out how to get pics posted yet. I'll get to that.

This sounds more like shipping damage, if you have a crack from around a switch. A lot of times if there was an impact during shipping, or even just enough pressure from things stacked on top, it could cause a crack, especially if the pressure got concentrated on something small like a toggle switch.

The CAB nitro, by all accounts and personal experience, has been very stable and resilient. If you waited 24 hours and the guitar was even close to room temperature, I doubt it would crack.

Bummer though!

Gonna echo others. My 2021 Custom has CAB finish and yet no finish damage other than the one I personally did

Last edited:
Though I'm not particularly familiar with the new std cab nitro finish on the core models I'd be surprised if they suffered from cracking like traditional nitro finish. Isn't it a hybrid finish so not pure nitro? Anyway, there is a special 'cracking' nitro finish they've put on some private stock guitars that is designed to check like vintage guitars. This sounds like handling damage.

So according to the dealer, PRS has moved to a “true” nitro finish that checks just like the vintage instruments as of 2020 on their core models. I called PRS to talk with someone about this - they are closed this week though.

So according to the dealer, PRS has moved to a “true” nitro finish that checks just like the vintage instruments as of 2020 on their core models. I called PRS to talk with someone about this - they are closed this week though.
I don't think this is true. There was a special finish designed to crack and check on a very limited private stock run last year which may have confused them but I'd be very surprised if they'd moved to something like that for standard core models

I don't think this is true. There was a special finish designed to crack and check on a very limited private stock run last year which may have confused them but I'd be very surprised if they'd moved to something like that for standard core models
I was thinking the same thing Tone-y, seems strange to me that PRS would go to pure nitro on all core models. I know many people love a nice finish checking on a vintage Les Paul or Fender, but not so many on a brand new PRS.....

No, the dealer is wrong. The moved to a CAB over nitro finish in 2020. That’s not the same thing as what the dealer is saying. This finish isn’t as prone to cracking.

The dealer is wrong. Even vintage guitars didn’t start the finish checking until years into use. It’s crazy to think you’d accept a guitar with a damaged finish, and I’m quite sure PRS will refinish it if it isn’t shipping damage. Return it.

PRS CAB finish is not supposed to 'crack' or turn 'yellow' as it ages but they do have some 'Nitro' finished guitars that will crack - on the 'Paul's 85' Private Stock for example. Cracking should be a result of rapid expansion/contraction caused by rapid exposure to extreme temp changes. The point of keeping your guitar in its case for '24hrs' is so that a very 'cold' guitar can 'slowly' warm up to room temp instead of opening it up and letting all that cold air out and 'room' heat in and warm up to fast causing the finish to 'crack'

As others have said, it sounds more like a crack caused by 'damage in transit' than finish checking and it shouldn't 'crack' with CAB over Nitro.

Nope, not buying that.
Did the guitar arrive in the condition it was sold? No!
Do you have pics of the guitar before it left the shop? If so, then it is not in the condition you expected to pay for.
Nope... no sale.

A 2020/2021 PRS Core would be nitro over CAB.

From 1985 – 2019, PRS used a polyester basecoat and an acrylic topcoat. During 2019, we started to transition to a nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic) finish. This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production. If your guitar was made during 2019, we cannot accurately determine the exact finish used on your instrument, so it is best to treat it as you would any other nitrocellulose finish and avoid long term contact with leather, rubber, and vinyl. Guitars produced in 2020 and beyond have the nitro over CAB finish.

I did not mention before, the dealer offered me a discount if I were to keep the guitar, along with the option of just returning it. With the discount I would be in it for about $3500. Good to have options, but that’s still a lot of cash for a brand new guitar with finish cracks across the body. The other specs - it is a 10 Quilt top Aquableux finish, 3 piece Korina wood library body, pattern neck. 7.2 lbs. Back of the body is nice light natural finish. It is absolutely beautiful, can’t believe it came with these finish issues….! I’ll post pics if I can figure out how :)

Got the return label and shipping out tomorrow. I'll find another good one.........

Last edited:
I did not mention before, the dealer offered me a discount if I were to keep the guitar, along with the option of just returning it. With the discount I would be in it for about $3500. Good to have options, but that’s still a lot of cash for a brand new guitar with finish cracks across the body. The other specs - it is a 10 Quilt top Aquableux finish, 3 piece Korina wood library body, pattern neck. 7.2 lbs. Back of the body is nice light natural finish. It is absolutely beautiful, can’t believe it came with these finish issues….! I’ll post pics if I can figure out how :)

Got the return label and shipping out tomorrow. I'll find another good one.........
Good job. I'd have done the same for sure.

Back