Favorite pickups?

Why do you all like humbuckers more than soapbar P90s? I'm just curious. Cleaner sounding, more versitile, less hum?
I have 3 with P-90`s, all with different pots in mahogany body guitars. 1 of them has Dimarzio Virtual p-90`s, which sound more like low output humbuckers until you drive them hard. P-90`s kill in some situations, especially for funk rhythms. I also like them playing the blues. There are other things that I prefer humbuckers for, especially with a coil tap. Then there are two with different wiring with no coil tap. Every PRS pickup has a different sound in a different guitar. My elec tech is always surprised by how different the PRS pickups sound with varied picking attack and gain. This is why you`re getting so many different answers about different humbuckers.

me222of34.jpg
I was just adjusting my Cu24's 57/08's today and it's been awhile but man there is a big tone difference on just adjusting a hair. I have had all the PRS pickups except the 59/09's and have played several PRS's with them pickups but I can't tell a difference in the two. Unless I had side by side I'm sure the 09's are hotter as their specs say they are, but since I'm a PAF lover, the gold 57/08's that came stock in my 2010 25th Anni are so versatile.

Anybody know if the first gold 57/08's are any different than the ones they are making now?
Been awhile since I've been on the forums but have found new love in my ol' PRS again.
These pickups really are special.
me222of34.jpg
me222of34.jpg

me222of34.jpg
I'm absolutely in the 57/08 camp myself - I've got them in three of my guitars but they sound best in my 25th Anniversary Custom... They're just wonderfully dynamic & musical pickups!

Back