Favorite pickups?

Skeeter

Having just received my second guitar with 408s, I gotta say the 408 bridge is my favorite (PRS) bridge pickup. I'm not sure I have as clear a favorite for the neck - probably a 57/08.

So, what's your favorite pickup for each position, respectively? While I love some other brands' pickups, I figure we should limit this to just PRS here ;)

85/15s..

Oh wait..that was yesterday... Today it's DGT....

It's probably a safe bet that it'll be DGT pickups tomorrow as well unless I happen to plug in to my 25th anniversary McCarty narrowfield. Kidding aside, I find that my favorite does tend to track whatever I've played latest.

I love the 85/15s in both positions, and the 57/08s in both positions. Maybe the edge goes to the 85/15s clean. Maybe. But it depends on the guitar. In the McCarty Singlecut, I think the 57/08s that are in there are the perfect pickups.

The 408s are very, very close in full 'bucker mode, and obviously, a bit better than the others in split coil mode, but I rarely split the pickups.

I have a 20th Anniversary of Private Stock model coming late in the week, and have not yet had a set of Paul's narrow 408s in the bridge of my guitars yet, so there's still a chance they might come out on top, plus the Narrowfield in the middle might be awesome.

I like a LOT of different PRS pickups for different things. For vintage PAF tones, I love the 57/08s in both positions. I like the 53/10 bridge, but don't love it. I DO love the 53/10 neck. The 59/09s are opposite for me. I love the bridge, but found the 59/09 neck to sound muddy. I also LOVE the original Dragon pickups. So much so that I'm considering putting a set of Dragons into my Private Stock, which I spec'd with a 59/09 bridge and 53/10 neck. For 90s metal, the 7s are nice. I haven't had a chance to try 58/15s yet, but am eager to try them.

As far as pickups I don't like, I'm not a fan of 6s or Miras at all. I'm also not a huge fan of Dragon IIs.

Bottom line is that PRS makes some KILLER pickups now. Back in 80s & 90s, I remember not really caring for most of their pickups through the rig I had at the time. But PRS has drastically improved their pickup offerings. Hard to go wrong now, IMHO.

I have a 20th Anniversary of Private Stock model coming late in the week, and have not yet had a set of Paul's narrow 408s in the bridge of my guitars yet, so there's still a chance they might come out on top, plus the Narrowfield in the middle might be awesome.

Yes, the most anticipated guitar on this board in quite sometime. ;) Can't wait to hear what you think about it - looks gorgeous! I like that Paul is trying different combos of the 408s, NFs, etc... While Paul does vintage tones quite well, I get more excited when he innovates. But I grew up playing PRSi almost exclusively, and actually liked the rotary selector, and sweet switch. Did NOT like the HFS pickup though :)

The 57/08s are great, but there are any number of high quality PAF pickups out there. The 408s, NFs not so much. I thought it was so cool that Jimmy Herring fell in love with the NFs, saying they were the perfect combo of single coil/humbucker. Looks like the rumored Mayer signature might use these, right? It would be great for a "name" to really push these new ideas.

Anyways, maybe I should have been clearer - I was going for the 'desert island' pickup combination, if you had to pick just one combination. Regardless it's always great to celebrate all of the great and diverse PRS pickup options these days! It was much more limited when I was growing up, or even 10 years ago, so that's a good thing for all of us!

Until recently, 408 narrows in both. But the 58/15s in my WL McCarty may come out on top, desert island wise.

For me, the 85/15s for sure. I haven't got a whole heck of a lot experience with other PRS pups, but I've tried the HFS/VB (didn't like that much - not a ceramic guy) and the narrow 408s on the Brent (very cool pups, but the bridge isn't the best under moderately high gain) and the middle 305 (which I do dig a whole lot - but I'm primarily a humbucker guy)

NFs overdriven (a lot) are something else. Just off the scale. But I can't love them clean, they just don't do it for me.

Starlas are my all-time favourite. But 85/15s and 53/10s are not far behind (in that order of preference) - those just edge out 57/08s
which are also excellent.

Desert Island choice for me is my Paul's with the 408's. Every time I take it out of the case it makes me smile bigger than the others. Second would be the 59/09's, then #7's, although I really can't fault the HFS/VB in my latest. There ya go...

.Anyways, maybe I should have been clearer - I was going for the 'desert island' pickup combination, if you had to pick just one combination.

Hmmm....well I blew that one! :oops:

In a Doublecut PRS (i.e., CU or McCarty), 85/15 bridge, 58/15 neck.

But then there's that whole Singlecut thing...and what happens Friday may upset the apple cart.

Regarding PRS, I really like the McCarty pups. They just work well with my guitars and my rig. I've put them in my P22 and my Custom, and it's a definite improvement. Apart from PRS, I've been experimenting with Bare Knuckles of late with great results.

I tried a guys prs in the mid 90s and hated it. I think it had the hfs. Still dislike the hfs in standard tuning. It changes its character in D or lower.

But as far as one pickup set only, 5909 bridge 5708 neck. I LOVE drag 1s but the 5909/5708 combo is a bit more versatile.

... 85/15 bridge, 58/15 neck...
Interesting combination. I would've put them the other way around, but I see the benefit of doing it your way -- make the bridge more "cutting" when one switches to the bridge. Now I'm going to have to play around with pups again. Dagnabit.

Back