Favorite pickups?

Regarding PRS, I really like the McCarty pups. They just work well with my guitars and my rig. I've put them in my P22 and my Custom, and it's a definite improvement. Apart from PRS, I've been experimenting with Bare Knuckles of late with great results.

Just curious, do you like the hfs?

Just curious, do you like the hfs?

My HFS usage peaked in the early-middle 90s. When the Dragon pickups came out, I bought a set for my Custom and they stayed there until last year when I put McCartys in said guitar. I liked the HFS clean. Big fat mids that played nicely with the neck pickup via the 5-way rotary. Amp distortion made them bright...real bright. The Dragons, by comparison, were 'bigger' sounding to my ears than the HFS. I think the HFS is one of those pickups that sounds better in some guitars than others.

Dragon I's and #7's.
DragonII's work well for me with LOW tunings. I didn't like them tuned to E, Drop-D, D, Drop-C…BUT, in B-standard, wonderful.

I tried a guys prs in the mid 90s and hated it. I think it had the hfs. Still dislike the hfs in standard tuning. It changes its character in D or lower.

That's been my experience as well. I swapped the ceramic magnet in my SE Cu24's HFS to an Alnico V because I thought it was too nasal, but I thought the equivalent pickups in the SE Cu24-7s I've had sounded fine.

I have 305, 408, #6, VB/HFS, 57/08, Modern eagle ( think they are early 57/08s )
I have not found any I dislike yet they all bring something new to the table for me, I have never liked all my guitars to be the same

Different pickups sound different in different guitars, so while a DGT bridge pickup sounds positively glorious in my CU22, it was a downgrade over the stock pickup in my Mira.

I am kinda an old school guy. I really dig the McCarty pickups. The coils tapping is quite useful as well.

5708 in the neck. Bridge pickup would depend on the guitar. Probably could go 5909 for the bridge and be pretty safe on most guitars.

5708 in the neck. Bridge pickup would depend on the guitar. Probably could go 5909 for the bridge and be pretty safe on most guitars.

Interesting.

I let go of 2 guitars with 59/09s, but kept the SCHBII with 57/08s. I suspect my issue with the 59/09s was probably my amp, but the 57/08s sounded way better with that same cr*ppy amp.

Can't wait to try the 58/15s.

Why do you all like humbuckers more than soapbar P90s? I'm just curious. Cleaner sounding, more versitile, less hum?

At my age, I'm just glad I haven't fallen.
Well, there's always life alert. Hey, maybe you could be on their next commercial there, old timer! Maybe it would fund the next PS, with a handle on the headstock to use as a cane. Dual purpose! :p:D

Why do you all like humbuckers more than soapbar P90s? I'm just curious. Cleaner sounding, more versitile, less hum?

I don't necessarily, I was just keeping with PRS and their stock P90s are acceptable, but not amazing. Really love them otherwise.

Back