Favorite albums featuring acoustic guitar(s)

tbp0701

There are some who call me ... Tim.
I've been on an acoustic kick lately, both playing and listening, but my record/CD/digital-file music collection is a little lacking. So I thought I'd start a thread seeking some favorites.

I can recommend a few. I'll start with some Eric Skye, Ballads and Blues. I especially like his version of Coltrane's "Equinox," as 'Trane has been my most influential musician.

In a different style (or mix of styles) is David Grier's I've Got the House to Myself.

Of course the DiMeola/McLaughlin/DeLucia Friday Night in San Francisco.

For Django-style jazz. Angelo Debarre's Live in Paris is excellent, and Django's Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order is well put together. I also want to pick up some of John Jorgenson's albums in this style.

Here's Eric Skye playing "Equinox."

I’ve been listening to Phil Keaggy since before I began playing in the mid-70s, and he was among my first inspirations. He does a lot of one man shows in recent years, and I love his enthusiasm. Not classic acoustic use (he does that too), but a lot of energy playing for a college group.

81SSI-YRs6L._SS500_.jpg

Days of The New by a mile and a half. I appreciate acoustic music in general but DOTN was an eye opener. Eric Morgrain is second fav - very different music, totally different approach to the instrument

Anything and everything by Mike Dawes. Definitely check him out. This guy is a wizard when it comes to acoustic guitar. I attended one of his masterclass in 2019. This is one of my favorite track by Mike featuring another favorite guitarist of mine, Nick Johnston. I was very fortunate to see these guys play this live.

I grew up on John Denver in the 70's. I listened to probably 3 albums continuously as loud as I dare, singing along, and trying to figure out the fingerpick patterns. It never occured to me that I needed to know the chords too. I have my own finger pick patterns now, and can work those with some basic chords somewhat interchangeably to create a song or two.

Back