Fake PRS Private Stock Mccarty?

Mickz

Hi everyone, first post here.
Just found this used guitar, i'm pretty sure it's a fake. I think the pick ups have been replaced and the logo on the headstock is kinda clumsy.

What do you think about it?

3m8l.jpg

wtaw.jpg

qqpn.jpg

y08p.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the feedback.
Searching for a while on the itnernet, I've noticed that all the chinese sellers use as product image for their fakes the original private stock with this serial number (2465 11/50 and also 09155239). Maybe the presence of this number on other instruments could be used as a easy way to spot a fake (even if this one was cleary a rip off even before seeing the back of the headstock :D )

That is atrocious...:laugh:

definitely a fake, the switch positions were wrong! the treble side cutaway looks very un-prs as well, not to mention the headstock shape (the shape is slightly off) and that ugly bridge...

The worst part is that the seller (owner of a famous guitar shop here in Italy) claims that this is a original PRS made in china (?!?!) and that it's an authorizied low budget replica of the private stock. And this is totally non-sense. It seems that he doesn't understand the difference between an economic guitar line (wich, if I'm not wrong, is the SE -korean- line for PRS) and a fake -crappy- chinese copy. According to his view (note: I think that he is SINCERE. He really thinks that this is a low budget PRS, like a epiphone or a squier and that is ok to sell it) this guitar has a list price of 1,000 euro and his selling it used at 400 euro. And that price is waaaaay beyond its actual value/price. Anyway I brought it back to the shop and took my money back, anyway he still thinks that I gave him back the guitar because I wanted and high-end instrument at a low price and an "honest"-priced replica wasn't the thing I was looking for.

If you are going to ask me "why did you buy it?", it is simple. I was looking for a second guitar, and my budget was low. Never played a PRS before, and didn't know anything about its line of models. The owner told me to try this guitar and I was overall happy with it. I tried other guitars of the same price, mostly squier, and they were not what I wanted. This was essentially the best guitar in this price-range so I decided to take it. Anyway, I started doing some researches and I immediately understood that there was something wrong about it. Eventually I discovered it is a fake, thanks to your feedback too. Even if I like the way this guitars sounds, I'm not giving my money for a fake-chinese-guitar who claims to be something else. I'm really pissed off!!!

This whole story made me understand only one thing: I want a -real- PRS! God, they are fabolous! I think I will search for a SE :)

Hi Mickz,
i'm really sorry for what's happened to you. I've seen many ugly fake chinese copies with PRS, Fender or Gibson mark on the headstock... From italian brother i can say you: open your eyes BEFORE to give your money to someone! If i should seek for a second guitars, i'd give a look to PRS SE line, they are nice guitars, good sounds and right price. Ciao!

Is it me or is the book-match of the top not even centered on the guitar? Looks like its in a angle in relation to the bridge and bottom strap pin.

Anyways, more great china illusions & magic....

Nah, it's definitely waaay off centre. Not to mention that the Chinese
always use bindings and never natural mask-off, since they always just use veneer tops.

So this one time Paul and I ate some mushrooms and said hey let's mess with everyone and make fake, fake Private Stocks. It will be awesome!!!!!! No really.

In related news... I wanted to make a Private Stock SE One for years. The PS One!

But $6500 (at the time) seemed a little silly for an American made SE One. The Korean version is too good!

Back