Fake or Real:PRS Singlecut McCarty Tobacco Sunburst 10 TOP

Reynewan

Hello everybody,

Hope Iam posting that Question in the right Thread..
I´ve found an interesting offer for a PRS Singlecut Mc Carty Tobacco Sunburst but
I am not sure about the authenticity of that Guitar.
The Pickups seem for me at the first Photo sight not the original Pups because here they are black
and uncovered. I have a direct Link to the E-Bay Pictures of that Guitar. Maybe someone
could give me a short advice. Thanks in Advance for any Information!

Here is the Link:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...sunburst-10-top-1a-zustand/1084251035-74-3714

Hello everybody,

Hope Iam posting that Question in the right Thread..
I´ve found an interesting offer for a PRS Singlecut Mc Carty Tobacco Sunburst but
I am not sure about the authenticity of that Guitar.
The Pickups seem for me at the first Photo sight not the original Pups because here they are black
and uncovered. I have a direct Link to the E-Bay Pictures of that Guitar. Maybe someone
could give me a short advice. Thanks in Advance for any Information!

Here is the Link:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...sunburst-10-top-1a-zustand/1084251035-74-3714

I can't read the listing or zoom in enough on the pictures to see for certain but it looks authentic. It maybe that the PU's were swapped out by after-market options, maybe this particular model came with uncovered PU's - I perhaps could tell if I could zoom in to look at the PU's. My Cu24 comes with uncovered PU's too so its not as if every PRS must have covered PU's. I can't see the number on the back of the headstock - which you could perhaps to get more info. I cannot read the text to know if the person listing it has indicated if the PU's are stock or swapped out. The case candy. small as it is on my screen, looks legit too. I would say, based on the limited amount I can discern from the link, that it is authentic but whether its 100% authentic or just 90% with the other 10% being the PU's being changed, I don't know

Hi, the current owner told me so far, that he traded this Guitar for an Amp and he was assured, that those would be the original Pups..
I´ve asked him via Mail to write me the Serial Number because I cannot read it as well on this small picture but I haven´t receive it yet.

Looks legit. I would expect it could have come with a variety of pickups, including HFS/VB, or Vintage bass and treble.

I have a 2006 singlecut 10-top and love love love it (my avatar guitar). It had dragon II pickups when I got it, I put BKP Cold Sweats in it. It's a lot of guitar for sure. 25" scale. I also replaced the original fixed adjustable bridge with the newer fully adjustable bridge, but probably wouldn't do that if I were to buy one today. The original bridge is just as good, and feels a bit better to me.

Mine has what look like phase II tuners, not the Klusons. SN starts 6 114XXX.

My 2008 SC245 had Klusons. I think this is also an SC245. Another great guitar. That had 245 Bass and treble pickups. I also put Cold Sweats in that. See the pattern here?

Last edited:
If you care, have the owner pull the pickups and photo the backsides of them, as well as the pickup cavities. Very easy to do. That will tell you everything about this guitar.

So, I´ve got the serial Number now and its 6 110724. I was also told via Mail, that the Pups are a Tremonti and a Alnico... I don´t know what to think about that..

I am asking myself as well, what the would be the generall differences (besides the Pups cause the Tremonti´s and original SC 250´ Pups are similiar) between a Singlecut Mc Carthy and an Original
SC 250?

Looks legit. I would expect it could have come with a variety of pickups, including HFS/VB, or Vintage bass and treble.

I have a 2006 singlecut 10-top and love love love it (my avatar guitar). It had dragon II pickups when I got it, I put BKP Cold Sweats in it. It's a lot of guitar for sure. 25" scale. I also replaced the original fixed adjustable bridge with the newer fully adjustable bridge, but probably wouldn't do that if I were to buy one today. The original bridge is just as good, and feels a bit better to me.

Mine has what look like phase II tuners, not the Klusons. SN starts 6 114XXX.

My 2008 SC245 had Klusons. I think this is also an SC245. Another great guitar. That had 245 Bass and treble pickups. I also put Cold Sweats in that. See the pattern here?

I´ve got BKP Holy Grails in my old Hamer but I am considering to try them out in my PRS Standard Wood Library 24.

I´ve heard a lo of good things about the SC 245, but it´s rather a bit a Vintage Style Guitar compared to the modern SC 250.

Last edited:
The Singlecut is the original SC model, with a 25" scale. There was no 2006 SC250 if I recall correctly, the SC250 came later after the lawsuit. The original Singlecut had less aggressive pickups (Dragon II or other), and the SC245 was a more vintage-style version with the shorter 24.5" scale and lower-output 245 pickups.

The SC250 was marketed as a more hard rock/metal instrument, with pickups identical to the Tremonti. I actually put a set of those in my Singlecut and compared to my Tremonti, and can verify this. Then I switched to the Cold Sweats, as the Tremonti bridge is WAY too hot and bright for me on anything but a drop-tuned guitar.

I still think that this guitar is a SC245 with aftermarket pickups. You can put it all to rest by emailing PRS customer service with the serial number. They will tell you everything about the guitar at the point it left the factory and are very responsive.

I´ve got BKP Holy Grails in my old Hamer but I am considering to try them out in my PRS Standard Wood Library 24.

I´ve heard a lo of ggod things about the SC 245 but it´s rather a bit a Vintage Style Guitar compared to the modern SC 250.

I had an SC245 with BKP pickups and currently own a P245 with factory 58/15 pickups. With the modern pickups, I have played hard rock and metal on both. They are not less-modern than the 25" scale version. The only advantage I can think of for the 25" is that it takes downtuning a bit better. Drop D and drop Db are fine on both, below that you will want a longer scale.

I had an SC245 with BKP pickups and currently own a P245 with factory 58/15 pickups. With the modern pickups, I have played hard rock and metal on both. They are not less-modern than the 25" scale version. The only advantage I can think of for the 25" is that it takes downtuning a bit better. Drop D and drop Db are fine on both, below that you will want a longer scale.

With the 25" Scale the String Tension is a bit better on lower tunings. I like to play much in D Standard. I have a generall Problem which Singlecut Guitar I should get and I was also posting already a thread in the Forum.
So it´s a decision between a Singlecut 250, Singlecut 245, a Stripped SC 58(which I was told here is pretty similiar to the SC 245)and now the Mc Carthy Singlecut came in as well.. Watching the price level on the Second Hand Market,
as far as I´ve checked it intensive recently all those Guitars have a pretty close price range. How is your Experience playing harder sounds with the 58/15 Pickups?

If you want to tune to D standard, you'll want 25" or more. You might look at the Tremonti baritone or a Tremonti Sig. Those tune down nicely and have the thinner neck profile and heavy pickups.

You definitely want to make sure that this guitar is not a 245, but I suspect it is.

Back