European guitar adjustment.

UncleEti

Hi everybody,

I am Etienne, and I am French.

I bought a PRS SE Custom 22 SH Trem GB in 2019. An Indonesian one fitting my need .

I would like to teach myself a bit of guitar adjustment : tross rud, action, intonation mostly. (Mike are another worms can, for now)

I have been looking hard for the factory measurements proper to my guitar but I am not sure I could find the specific ones . Well, all this is new to me. So, I might have missed something. . Can someone would be so kind to tell me what those values are (string by string if you could and in mm of my guitare; as an European I am not smart with inches. I bought a rule with inches depth values (Rock'n'rules), but they are not identical with the one used by PRS factory. )
So I would need all the tins and whistles : fretboard radius, strings heights (the 6 strings) if possible but I bought also a radius-fretboard meter too, so I could manage if you do'nt have them) .

Oh, yes and confirm please the following method applies:

Using a capo at the first fret, measure the distance from top of fret to bottom of string while depressing the string at the 1st and last fret: Relief for PRS guitars should measure .3/64" - .6/64" (.1mm - .3mm) at the 8th fret.
This comes from a P.R.S. site but as a forum user-beginner, I can't use any link for now. You'll find it easily (maybe it helps) making the following search :
What are the factory specifications for my U.S. PRS guitar setup?

This has bothered me for a while and I will be happy to enjoy your enlightened advices.
Thank you so much

Hi everybody,

I bought a PRS SE Custom 22 SH Trem GB in 2019. An Indonesian one fitting my need .

I would like to teach myself a bit of guitar adjustment : tross rud, action, intonation mostly. (Mike are another worms can, for now)

I have been looking hard for the factory measurements proper to my guitar but I am not sure I could find the specific ones . Well, all this is new to me. So, I might have missed something. . Can someone would be so kind to tell me what those values are (string by string if you could and in mm of my guitare; as an European I am not smart with inches. I bought a rule with inches depth values (Rock'n'rules), but they are not identical with the one used by PRS factory. )
So I would need all the tins and whistles : fretboard radius, strings heights (the 6 strings) if possible but I bought also a radius-fretboard meter too, so I could manage if you do'nt have them) .

Using a capo at the first fret, measure the distance from top of fret to bottom of string while depressing the string at the 1st and last fret: Relief for PRS guitars should measure .3/64" - .6/64" (.1mm - .3mm) at the 8th fret.
This comes from a P.R.S. site but as a forum user-beginner, I can't use any link for now. You'll find it easily (maybe it helps) making the following search :

This has bothered me for a while and I will be happy to enjoy your enlightened advices.
Thank you so much
Hi mate.

Setups are so personal.. what I can recommand is getting this book.

It touches every setup related subject in deep details

Hi mate.

Setups are so personal.. what I can recommand is getting this book.

It touches every setup related subject in deep details
I am waiting for a book, and due to corona, the whole things take ages : How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great.It seems well known and loads have be sold. I will get it in May. So, just now, I don't have much to say. Care, guy

I am waiting for a book, and due to corona, the whole things take ages : How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great.It seems well known and loads have be sold. I will get it in May. So, just now, I don't have much to say. Care, guy

The book is well worth the wait. Its sick how much money it helped me to save. Doing stuff around your guitar is not that hard if you have correct tools and this book will walk you through making some. Trade Secret series is also worth to own BTW.

Take care bud

Hi everybody,

Thank you so much
Regarding radius, you can order gauges here from Stew Mac . The SE Custom 22 has a 10" radius (as do most PRS models, although not the Silver Sky or Mark Holcomb, off the top of my head).

Firstly you need to make any adjustments to the neck relief, if needed. If you are new to this, I'd definitely recommend learning more about it before attempting, in order to prevent accidentally damaging the neck. Remember, small adjustments make a big difference - adjust, check it, repeat as needed.

Once the relief is correct, I set the height for my 1st and 6th strings. I usually start with 5/64" (about 2mm) on the 6th string and 4/64" (about 1.5mm) on the 1st string. These will often need to be raised or lowered a bit - check for buzzing at each note along the entire fretboard and adjust until it's how you like it. Too low will cause buzzing. Too high can be uncomfortable to play, and also cause intonation issues. Although, higher action can also give a "fuller" tone, and somewhat better sustain. Finding what you like best is a process of trial and error.

Once those two strings are at the right height, you can use the radius gauge to set the others. Slide the gauge under the strings, close up to the bridge and lift up on the gauge. Strum each open string - the gauge should be in contact with the strings that are at the correct height, and the notes will be dead. If any are ringing clearly, the saddle is too high on that string. Make sure first that the 1st and 6th strings are making good contact with the gauge. For example, if the 3rd & 4th strings are too low, the gauge will be held down by them and not make contact with the 1st and 6th strings, which you just set to the correct height. In that case, raise the middle strings that are keeping the gauge from touching the 1st and 6th strings, then lower each until all six are touching the gauge.

This is a good method for making sure your strings match the fretboard radius exactly. However, that's not entirely necessary either. You can just measure and adjust each string individually, the same way as you did for the 1st and 6th. Generally speaking, the 6th, 5th and 4th strings are a little higher and the other three strings are a little lower. Again, just check for buzzing/comfort/playability for each string at every fret up and down the neck. If it feels good, and sounds good, they're at the right height!

Regarding radius, you can order gauges here from Stew Mac . The SE Custom 22 has a 10" radius (as do most PRS models, although not the Silver Sky or Mark Holcomb, off the top of my head).

Firstly you need to make any adjustments to the neck relief, if needed. If you are new to this, I'd definitely recommend learning more about it before attempting, in order to prevent accidentally damaging the neck. Remember, small adjustments make a big difference - adjust, check it, repeat as needed.

Once the relief is correct, I set the height for my 1st and 6th strings. I usually start with 5/64" (about 2mm) on the 6th string and 4/64" (about 1.5mm) on the 1st string. These will often need to be raised or lowered a bit - check for buzzing at each note along the entire fretboard and adjust until it's how you like it. Too low will cause buzzing. Too high can be uncomfortable to play, and also cause intonation issues. Although, higher action can also give a "fuller" tone, and somewhat better sustain. Finding what you like best is a process of trial and error.

Once those two strings are at the right height, you can use the radius gauge to set the others. Slide the gauge under the strings, close up to the bridge and lift up on the gauge. Strum each open string - the gauge should be in contact with the strings that are at the correct height, and the notes will be dead. If any are ringing clearly, the saddle is too high on that string. Make sure first that the 1st and 6th strings are making good contact with the gauge. For example, if the 3rd & 4th strings are too low, the gauge will be held down by them and not make contact with the 1st and 6th strings, which you just set to the correct height. In that case, raise the middle strings that are keeping the gauge from touching the 1st and 6th strings, then lower each until all six are touching the gauge.

This is a good method for making sure your strings match the fretboard radius exactly. However, that's not entirely necessary either. You can just measure and adjust each string individually, the same way as you did for the 1st and 6th. Generally speaking, the 6th, 5th and 4th strings are a little higher and the other three strings are a little lower. Again, just check for buzzing/comfort/playability for each string at every fret up and down the neck. If it feels good, and sounds good, they're at the right height!
Good points. Using radius gauges to set string height is a fair enough method for a starting point, but it definitely isn’t a target or rule that has to be strictly adhered to.

A number of things will affect what string heights work for an individual; string gauge, playing style, neck relief preferences... it’s all part of the recipe. Just saying this as I think that people who are new to the sport can (mistakenly) think it’s absolutely vital to have strings set to a radius that exactly matches the fretboard. It’s far better to really understand what’s going on with the guitar’s entire setup. But, as I said, it is a fair starting point for sure.

Regarding radius gauges - fully agree. Just a note - as much as Stewmac is the way I would recommend G&W (Portugal) or Crimson Guitars (UK) if you in Europe as US shipping is a rape. Personally I has a good luck with G&W, Crimson has a history...

...not related but Portugal is amazing when it comes to great people, food and guitar tools

Back