Empty nesters

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Our last child moved out last month and its time to PARTY!!!!!

But first, my wife had to cry about it for a couple of days.

We had to have budget discussions.

We had to have social discussions.

I miss having him around but the good points.

One load of laundry per week!

Sink NOT full of dishes every day.

The kitchen floor doesn't need swept every 5 minutes.

No more stuff showing up in my shed or garage.

Don't have to "hide" chocolate any more.

A box of cereal lasts more than 5 minutes.

The house smells better.

I miss him.................

The new reward is watching them become adults and start their life and career. There will be struggles and you will need to be there to be a strong shoulder to them once in a while but it is rewarding watching how you raised them pay off for them.

Also a new PRS helps with the pain. That is from someone who's kid is 31 and left home a long time ago.

I wanted to move to Los Angeles in 2000, because that's where the media business IS. Being in the Detroit area is being pretty far away from a good chunk of the action.

My kids threw a fit. They loved their friends. They wanted to be close to home. My wife wanted to be near family.

I relented.

Now my son lives in LA, and my daughters moved to Chicago.

WTFF!

I'm past the point where I'd want to start over in LA. Chicago's nice, but I'm not leaving Michigan for a bigger version of Detroit that's just as cold in winter with worse traffic.

Bah!

So it goes.

Last edited:
You May Want To Consider Getting Two PRS Guitars To Help You Begin Preparing Ahead Of Time For The Possibility Of Marriage And Maybe Becoming A Grandparent, Etc. You Can Never Be Too Prepared! ;)

Always Get More PRS. :)

My son moved out a few weekends ago. He wanted to live in the city, about an hour away with no traffic, 2 hours during rush hours. I am happy and sad at the same time. Happy because we went through thick and thin, raising him as a single parent, and I feel that he has finally put a check on one of his life goal check list. Sad, because he's my boy. Raised him on my own. Somewhat happy because he was constantly yelled at by my wife (his stepmom) to allegedly make him a better person. Sometimes, I wonder because he's a good kid, never gave us a problem except for the usual child and teenager things like messy and stuff. I believe there's another way than yelling. Now, he is free and on his own. Sad, because I won't get to see him often anymore. It's a mix of emotions.

But... I have one more child at home with a couple more years to go. But, she has anxiety. Her future is uncertain, but I will always be there for her.

Congratulations on being a successful parent and an empty nester!

Last edited:
My son moved out a few weekends ago. He wanted to live in the city, about an hour away with no traffic, 2 hours during rush hours. I am happy and sad at the same time. Happy because we went through thick and thin, raising him as a single parent, and I feel that he has finally put a check on one of his life goal check list. Sad, because he's my boy. Raised him on my own. Somewhat happy because he was constantly yelled at by my wife (his stepmom) to allegedly make him a better person. Sometimes, I wonder because he's a good kid, never gave us a problem except for the usual child and teenager things like messy and stuff. I believe there's another way than yelling. Now, he is free and on his own. Sad, because I won't get to see him often anymore. It's a mix of emotions.

But... I have one more child at home with a couple more years to go. But, she has anxiety. Her future is uncertain, but I will always be there for her.

Congratulations on being a successful parent and an empty nester!
My wife had 3 kids from her first marriage. There is no greater challenge than step parenting.

I helped raise them but my role changed as time went on. We had some very difficult challenges with the older 3 and we were really put to the test. Some of the decisions we made has paid off now........thankfully.

It is sad to see them all gone now but I will admit that we are both enjoying our empty nest.
We have 6 grandkids with one on the way so never a dull moment.

I’m less than 3 days from joining the empty nest club. Still sorting out how I feel about that- he gave me a reason to be a part of a larger community. A sense of purpose. I haven’t had to find those things myself for a really long time. I really worry about how he will do on his own. I guess we both need to grow a bit for this all to work.

Chicago's nice, but I'm not leaving Michigan for a bigger version of Detroit that's just as cold in winter with worse traffic.

Bah!
I've lived in both multiple times, and I couldn't agree more. Love me some Chicago, but some of it, not so much. When I lived in NYC, people from Chicgao ALWAYS asked my thoughts on how Chicago and NYC compare, and my answer was always the same.. Chicago is more of a modern day big Detroit, not NYC. They typically didn't like that much. :D

I'm the opposite of empty nester.. as we recently welcomed our son into the world in November '22. Congrats to all you parents and grandparents for a job well done!

I've lived in both multiple times, and I couldn't agree more. Love me some Chicago, but some of it, not so much. When I lived in NYC, people from Chicgao ALWAYS asked my thoughts on how Chicago and NYC compare, and my answer was always the same.. Chicago is more of a modern day big Detroit, not NYC. They typically didn't like that much. :D

I'm the opposite of empty nester.. as we recently welcomed our son into the world in November '22. Congrats to all you parents and grandparents for a job well done!
Congratulations "Dad"!
You have a world of joy (and pain at times) ahead of you.
Enjoy!

I wanted to move to Los Angeles in 2000, because that's where the media business IS. Being in the Detroit area is being pretty far away from a good chunk of the action.

My kids threw a fit. They loved their friends. They wanted to be close to home. My wife wanted to be near family.

I relented.

Now my son lives in LA, and my daughters moved to Chicago.

WTFF!

I'm past the point where I'd want to start over in LA. Chicago's nice, but I'm not leaving Michigan for a bigger version of Detroit that's just as cold in winter with worse traffic.

Bah!

So it goes.
There’s also something about time “up north“ in Michigan too (at least for me).

I got married late so I have a five (going on sixteen) year old daughter. She is already strumming my guitars when she can.

Back