Effect of weight on tone....

In the end, I went away from the two Paul's guitars I was looking at. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $5k guitar knowing I have two kids about to enter college in the next coupe of years. So I ended up going just slightly below that and, to stay on the weight conversation, went with about the lightest guitar I was looking at: I should be getting my new PRS CE Semi-hollow a week from now. Can't wait to post pics on my NGD! Thank you all for the replies.

In the end, I went away from the two Paul's guitars I was looking at. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $5k guitar knowing I have two kids about to enter college in the next coupe of years. So I ended up going just slightly below that and, to stay on the weight conversation, went with about the lightest guitar I was looking at: I should be getting my new PRS CE Semi-hollow a week from now. Can't wait to post pics on my NGD! Thank you all for the replies.
Glad I could help you out! Looking forward to seeing your new CE, I just went to practice with mine today and I definitely don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Yes weight does impact on the sound, I am lucky to have two guitars from the same maker, same spec but one is 1lb lighter than the other.... of course they look different, they are a different burst, how else would you get permission to buy them both :) Both made by Momose in Japan same quality woods used, same electrics and the lighter guitar does have a darker sound..

At the risk of opening up a "tone debate", yes weight makes a difference. It's not about how many sets you can play before you hurt, it's a question of the tone. It also depends on if the tone difference matters to you. All other things being equal, the heavier guitar will have more muscle. More punch. I have a Gen 1 SC (2000) and a Gen 2 SC (2006), same everything else, but the Gen 1 weighs another pound or so. It's a monster guitar. The other one is prettier. The lightest guitar I own is a Mira (6 lbs). It is great for rock and roll, but in terms of tone, it's nowhere close to my Gen 1 SC. Now I know it's different in lots of ways, but I'm just not going to get a low end punch out of the Mira. Just won't happen. AC/DC in spades, but not much bottom end.

Interesting thread. I personally have an issue with heavy guitars. Never paid to much attention this before, although recently I started to pay attention to the subject. I believe most of the "soul" of what and how we play, may have to do with the well being we have at the time of playing. I can recall several times that I was begging for the show to end because of the weight of the guitar.

My '79 LP Custom weighs 12.9 lbs ..my ES - 335 just under 8 ...it sustains just as much ...I've timed them.
The light guitars allow you to play longer with less wear and tear on your back and no sacrifice in tone or sustain..

Derek Trucks says light wood is the best and I will not argue with him about tone.

Back