Early Hollowbodies

Dave puts fingers in ears...
LALALALALALA!!!!
Dave...buddy...have a look...
GibfnQn.jpg

That does it, I'm getting this one out for practice tonight...

Sooooo I just ordered a 2004 Hollowbody. Supposedly a Spruce Top, Mahogany back and sides, Archtop Pickups, no Piezo. Does that all sound right?

How are the Archtop Pickups? I usually dig a lower output pickup but my sounds is definitely more Rock/Blues than Jazz/Archtop. I normally dig lower output pickups (big fan of the 58/15s) and run my guitars through a cranked Dual Rec + TS in front to get a Hard Rock/Alternative kind of sound. Think the stock pickups will work? I'm really going for a Dave Grohl kind of vibe.
I have archtop pickups in my old Hollowbody. They work well for me. I think they suit the guitar well.

Dave...buddy...have a look...
GibfnQn.jpg

That does it, I'm getting this one out for practice tonight...
Oh for cryin' out loud... you big meanie!!!
:p
You know I’ve been saving one for when you’re ready.

I know... you keep reminding me... you're a big meanie too!
Lol, a HB is the biggest hole in my small collection I'd say. That and a decent acoustic.
Patience... patience...

Oh for cryin' out loud... you big meanie!!!
:p

I know... you keep reminding me... you're a big meanie too!
Lol, a HB is the biggest hole in my small collection I'd say. That and a decent acoustic.
Patience... patience...
You might have more fun coming over to try my acoustics than going to the local store. You could get a good idea what suited you. And sample some eastern beverages.

You might have more fun coming over to try my acoustics than going to the local store. You could get a good idea what suited you. And sample some eastern beverages.
Man, I'm SCARED of your acoustics... I mean in a really nice/positive way. They are some of the finest examples available to man!

Just out of curiosity, were lampshades being used in 2004? I'm not sure when they were first introduced. It also looks like it has ebony tuning pegs. Would that have been stock or an upgrade?

Pics on the listing for reference: https://reverb.com/item/28369773-paul-reed-smith-prs-mccarty-hollowbody-spruce-2004-black

That looks Bangin’!

Yeah, the knobs and buttons were added later, which is a good thing IMO. The buttons will shave a tiny amount of weight from the headstock which are prone to neck dive.

That looks Bangin’!

Yeah, the knobs and buttons were added later, which is a good thing IMO. The buttons will shave a tiny amount of weight from the headstock which are prone to neck dive.
Awesome, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I would have changed the speed knobs out for lampshades anyway so that saves me some money. I'm not too picky about the buttons, but cool to know that it serves a purpose other than just aesthetics. I do think I'll put some new pickup rings on it. I much prefer like lighter color of newer ivory rings over the older, more yellow color.

Awesome, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I would have changed the speed knobs out for lampshades anyway so that saves me some money. I'm not too picky about the buttons, but cool to know that it serves a purpose other than just aesthetics. I do think I'll put some new pickup rings on it. I much prefer like lighter color of newer ivory rings over the older, more yellow color.

So when are you getting it sprayed “Pelham Blue”?;)

Sweet looking guitar.
How much of a different sound is the Hollowbody ll Vs a Semi Hollowbody? Any idea?

After a Cu24 and a 513, I always thought the next one would be a HB... Luckily for me I have other things to attend to first...

And now there is an SE Hollowbody II...
GAS strikes again...

Just out of curiosity, were lampshades being used in 2004? I'm not sure when they were first introduced. It also looks like it has ebony tuning pegs. Would that have been stock or an upgrade?

Pics on the listing for reference: https://reverb.com/item/28369773-paul-reed-smith-prs-mccarty-hollowbody-spruce-2004-black

That looks Bangin’!

I thought ebony tuner buttons were stock on Hollowbody Spruce models. No? I have them on mine, but I did buy it used. I swapped the TRC out for an ebony one myself to match them, although it looks just like the black plastic from a distance!

Sweet looking guitar.
How much of a different sound is the Hollowbody ll Vs a Semi Hollowbody? Any idea?

Mine is a HBi and my McCarty is semi hollow. Both compared to solid bodies have a mid range push but the semi hollow has a higher midrange push than the hollow body.

Acoustically stunning an open E chord the hollow body has a highest peak frequency of 328hz and the semi hollow body is 656hz.

I don't have the same pickups in both so I can't accurately compare the two.

Back