Dragon II pickups zebra

Micky!

Dragon trainer
Several years ago I owned a Standard 22, that was equipped with uncovered zebra dragon 2 pickups:

1tlu.jpg

wxxr.jpg

o4ld.jpg

If I well remember, they were some soldering marks on the back of the PU, so I don't really know if they had originally covers or not...

Was it a special serie? (obviously the knobs and PU rings are not original they were all black)

I just found used D2 set, and i was wondering if there is any chance to find zebra PU under the covers.

I'm sure there's a possibility. All of the D2s I've seen have been covered. They are great pickups in Standards!

I loved them in my Standard 24, man I really miss that guitar. It gave off a very SGish style of tone and I thought it was great. I would definitely own another with those pickups in it.

I really liked this standard too, but I found it a little dark sounding. When I sold it, I was thinking about a similar one with a maple cap, in order to add some bite.

If you really like SGish sounding, you should try #6 bridge, it has some bass roll off and a lot of bites, very SGish.

It seems that, uncovered D2are not that common, I was hoping to get more user feedback

if they were uncovered by a user, wouldn't you find traces of the wax potting?

I really like dragon IIs, the neck pickups sound great and the taps are pretty good. I wish the bridge pickups were a little less hot but I enjoy the compression. They remind me a bit of Gibson pickups but more articulate

When you remove a cover, you can easily wype the wax present on the surface and side of the pickup (it doesn't really bond on plastics). And if some the small residue of wax stay, the successive cleaning of the guitar will remove them quickly. So from the outside you can't really know.

I do not owned this guitar anymore, otherwise I would inspect it more in detail. But with the soldering marks, I suspect it may have been originally equipped with covers...

Anyway, still wondering if I will keep the cover or not.

I really liked this standard too, but I found it a little dark sounding. When I sold it, I was thinking about a similar one with a maple cap, in order to add some bite.

If you really like SGish sounding, you should try #6 bridge, it has some bass roll off and a lot of bites, very SGish.

It seems that, uncovered D2are not that common, I was hoping to get more user feedback

I do have my #6's that I took out of my SC Trem I could try. I just need to find a decent Standard for the right price first

Back