Done.

That's why I hesitated to post that meme here, and why I didn't post it in response to Poo's original post. It doesn't really apply here -

Yeah, I get that. It does seem though that the majority favor not announcing you're leaving, and for those who are regular active participants here, I still find that a bit disappointing. I agree that the newbies, soap boxers, etc. aren't necessary. But if it's someone that's been here for years, I'd rather know than not. Even if it's someone who got mad because "Sergio stole my gold shoes," "Bodia sniped that HX/DA I was lowballing in ebay," or "Aahzz won't let me play his Vela," etc. Heck, the world is in a pandemic right now and we've lost a couple people in the last year or so :(:(.

But, as I found out last year, is what it is.

Why is this such a problem?
It isn't a problem, per se, but it is an irritant.

An old friend described this to me, originally relating to how minor frustrations at a job can grow to an interminable level:

Imagine you have a minor itch on your arm. No big deal. But it is always there, so you scratch at it. And over time your scratching gets more and more irritating, deepening into your arm, digging to the bone. Eventually, you need to get the itch to move to the other arm, where it can start anew as a minor thing - i.e. get a new job where things might be still irritating, but in a new way that hasn't bugged you for years.

The captcha issue can be quite annoying at times. But I find hitting reload on the page does often make it go away without interaction.

It isn't a problem, per se, but it is an irritant.
Agree, and sometimes more than others. It has popped up at least 10 times now in the last hour. Every time, refreshing has made it go away but again, an annoyance. And I don't go to "questionable" sites, so it's not some junk on my computer. :rolleyes: If I get on from home tonight and am on my ipad, I won't ever get it, even though I'm using Chrome on PC and Chrome in ipad. If I switch over to the laptop, I probably will get one. FYI Captha is not as intelligent as it would like you to believe. "Screw you" does not seem to register, nor does "bite me" or "fungu" or "moronsaywhat?"

Agree, and sometimes more than others. It has popped up at least 10 times now in the last hour. Every time, refreshing has made it go away but again, an annoyance. And I don't go to "questionable" sites, so it's not some junk on my computer. :rolleyes: If I get on from home tonight and am on my ipad, I won't ever get it, even though I'm using Chrome on PC and Chrome in ipad. If I switch over to the laptop, I probably will get one. FYI Captha is not as intelligent as it would like you to believe. "Screw you" does not seem to register, nor does "bite me" or "fungu" or "moronsaywhat?"
What?

What’s wrong with The Gear Page? There are pockets of good knowledge and fellowship there, plus Les’ dream of posting pictures w/o 3rd party hosting is a reality on TGP. Sure, there are plenty of trolls but they’re easier to ignore than a captcha. Usually
There’s nothing wrong with it once you learn how to handle a forum that big. For every knowledgeable experienced musician there, there are 5 newbies raving about every single thing they try, 4 trolls who hop in every thread on a particular topic and crap all over it, and 15 other miscellaneous maroons, doing they thang.

You have to learn how to weed through the threads and decide who knows what. Once you learn how to do that, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience there. You just have to sometimes wade across the Atlantic Ocean to find the pool of knowledge you’re looking for. And, you’ll be exposed to sides of the coin you never knew existed.

There’s nothing wrong with it once you learn how to handle a forum that big. For every knowledgeable experienced musician there, there are 5 newbies raving about every single thing they try, 4 trolls who hop in every thread on a particular topic and crap all over it, and 15 other miscellaneous maroons, doing they thang.

You have to learn how to weed through the threads and decide who knows what. Once you learn how to do that, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience there. You just have to sometimes wade across the Atlantic Ocean to find the pool of knowledge you’re looking for. And, you’ll be exposed to sides of the coin you never knew existed.

Sounds like fun.
Maybe I'll go take a look.

:p

I've been asked to do a captcha to log in maybe twice, however, refreshing the page made it go away. So I never bothered with it.

The fact that it's so inconsistent makes me wonder whether in fact it's a deliberate part of the Forum, or it's something to do with the hosting company's software.

One big improvement would be to allow folks to post pics without having to deal with a third party site. There are plenty of platforms that allow it, including the one I use for my own forum.

I agree 100% . I will not take the time to jump through the hoops required to post pics here. I can be lame at times but I've been this way for 56 years and if I allow change my wife might see it as weakness and start trying to change me..............

Indeed, that is a good summary. I used to hang out at TGP a fair bit, mostly in the effects and pedals area, because there wasn't any PRS-specific knowledge I could extract from the Guitar forum that wasn't more easily sourced from here. I'd rarely make forays into other areas, like amps, but even now I don't bother with the site much at all. My effects pedal collection is stupidly big (for my purposes, tiny I am sure compared to some), and gigging live I typically now just use a FlyRig for the limited number of tones/effects that I need. The pedal boards are used for home practice/jamming/writing, and studio recording.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the one reason I stopped hanging out at TGP was that I used to visit the site on my lunch / whatever break at a former place of employment. But the site got blocked or something, so I just stopped visiting, and I didn't really miss it - I rarely visit forums when I'm home for the evening or on weekends. Instead it is a break filler while at work, like right now. Speaking of which...back to it!

I agree 100% . I will not take the time to jump through the hoops required to post pics here. I can be lame at times but I've been this way for 56 years and if I allow change my wife might see it as weakness and start trying to change me..............

My wife's been trying to change my ways forever. The other day, when she told me what I should be doing (or was it saying?) at that moment instead of what I was doing, I said, "Now that the kids are grown, you don't even tell them what to do, you're cool with whatever they've done or said. How about giving me the same consideration." :rolleyes:

I got a dirty look. Five minutes later she told me what to do again. :p

My wife's been trying to change my ways forever. The other day, when she told me what I should be doing (or was it saying?) at that moment instead of what I was doing, I said, "Now that the kids are grown, you don't even tell them what to do, you're cool with whatever they've done or said. How about giving me the same consideration." :rolleyes:

LOL! Whenever my wife starts telling me what to do, I just start telling her what to do.

This made me laugh my a$$ off!!!

She probably thought you'd forgotten about the first time.

Well this sounds irritating. I apologize. I didn't realize this was happening. Feel free to DM me to let me know. I saw the guy having the issues a few months back and I thought we whitelisted him.

I'm a bit busy until mid-next week, but I'll put my focus on this problem then. Spam is definitely down but this sounds like a terrible user experience.

Back