Does the P22 battery run down with just the magnetic output plugged in?

Evan

I'm mowing through batteries on my P22. First couple times, entirely my fault for not realizing I'd left the piezo plugged in.

But even now that I'm unplugging the piezo every time, it's still dying too quickly. Do I need to start unplugging it entirely?

I haven't replaced my battery yet, but I've only had the guitar about 4 months. I never leave cables plugged in to any of my guitars when they aren't being played.

being the piezo can be activated even by plugging into mag out put I would say yes . When not playing I never keep any guitar plugged in even at a venue( ESPECIALLY ) as there can then be no TRIP accidents that pull the guitar down.

If nothing is plugged into the piezo output the other output is a blend of mag and piezo, which means the piezo is active.

You need to completely unplug the guitar when not in use to ensure the piezo batteries last.

Should last years that way, unless you play 12 hours a day!

If nothing is plugged into the piezo output the other output is a blend of mag and piezo, which means the piezo is active.

You need to completely unplug the guitar when not in use to ensure the piezo batteries last.

Should last years that way, unless you play 12 hours a day!

That first sentence...I'm not entirely sure how I failed to grasp that. Damn liberal arts education.

So, thanks for spelling it out for me. You've saved me a fortune in batteries, which will go toward night classes in remedial logic. ;)

being the piezo can be activated even by plugging into mag out put I would say yes . When not playing I never keep any guitar plugged in even at a venue( ESPECIALLY ) as there can then be no TRIP accidents that pull the guitar down.

It is a bad habit leaving it plugged in, but it's safely ensconced in a corner of my study. At any rate, it'll be unplugged completely going forward. Can't believe I didn't realize the piezo was still active. They had become separate and distinct in my mind.

Which raises a question though, is the piezo disengaged when the pickup selector is down? And if not, WHY NOT??!!

I'll have to talk to my guitar tech about that possibility. Because I play in a dozen short bursts throughout the day. And plugging/unplugging both jacks means 128 chances every week for me to ding my guitar. And if/when I forget, that's another battery change, and I've already experienced snapping the wires because they got snagged.

Everything else about my beloved :p22: is just perfect. I wish this system were smarter.

I haven't replaced my battery yet, but I've only had the guitar about 4 months. I never leave cables plugged in to any of my guitars when they aren't being played.

Well that's good to know what I have to look forward to, now that I'll be fully unplugging it.

Could you guesstimate how many hours of playing time? (I don't recall hearing PRS mention battery life, now that I think of it.)

I don't recall ever seeing even a semi-scientific study on battery length, let alone a formal recommendation. You could be our guy to do it! How many batteries have you used since you got it? A quick heuristic for playing time and battery consumption might be '#Days * 24 / #batteries' since yours has been plugged in for 4 mmonths

fwiw, i do not recall changing batteries in my P22 or HBii. They're not my #1 guitars so they hang most of the time.

Could you guesstimate how many hours of playing time? (I don't recall hearing PRS mention battery life, now that I think of it.)

I'd say a good conservative estimate would be 8 hours/week on this guitar + or - an hour. My Lester Black Beauty gets the remainder of my attention for now, at least.

I don't recall ever seeing even a semi-scientific study on battery length, let alone a formal recommendation. You could be our guy to do it! How many batteries have you used since you got it? A quick heuristic for playing time and battery consumption might be '#Days * 24 / #batteries' since yours has been plugged in for 4 months

It's a great idea, but there's been no consistency as to when/how it was plugged in. It gets rotated with an MC58 and an LP. But I've gone through 4 Duracell ProMaxWhatever batteries in a little over two months. :rofl:

fwiw, i do not recall changing batteries in my P22 or HBii. They're not my #1 guitars so they hang most of the time.

I want to live your life. How many of those guitars in your sig are current? It's an amazing collection.

Last edited:
Back