Does anyone know if all PRS SE's come with a gig bag?

deanproxy

I ask because I recently ordered a Nick Cantenese from MusiciansFriend.com and it did not come with one. All other SE's I have ordered have come with one and if I look on any other site such as Sweetwater.com, Samash.com, GuitarCenter.com, etc... They all say they come with a gig bag. I've always found the PRS Gig bags to be rather nice, so I was a bit disappointed when I saw it did not come with one. I was curious if MusiciansFriend was just trying to rip people off by removing the Gig bags or if it's at their descretion? Either way, it's a rip off considering every other company sells for the exact same price but offers the Gig bag...

All SEs come with a gig bag, as all four I have bought came with one.

A dealer who does not supply one should have their licence revolked.

I've heard about people not getting the gig bags before but I can't remember what store(s) it/they where.

I'm presuming the cost of the bag is factored into the overall price you pay so if you're paying the same amount roughly as anyone else then you're being conned.

All SE's come with a Gig-bag and All Maryland Made PRS Guitars include a Hard Case, which can vary depending on model. According to some of our customers, non-supply of cases is surprisingly common and I honestly cannot believe some dealers try to retain them in order to sell them separately. It's disgusting really.

A dealer who does not supply one should have their licence revoked.

totally agree or at least they should be restricted as to the value of PRS stock they can carry.

This is a sticking point with me.

I have shopped in all the local stores that carry PRS as licensed dealers. Only one of them, Guitar Center has tried to sell me a brand spankin' new SE without including a gig bag. And they have tried to do it more than once.

The conversation goes like this.

"I like this SE is there any room to move on the price?"

The answer would sometimes be "Yes," and sometimes be "No." But the next response was always "Would you like a gig bag as well?"

To which I would say, "They come with gig bags. Are you going to try to charge me more for something that supposed to be included?"

"They don't all come with gig bags."

"Yes, they do. I'm not buying that guitar unless you give me the gig bag it came with, period"

"I'll have to have that OKed by my manager."

pause

"He said that we don't normally do this, but he'll throw in the gig bag."

Depending on how pissed I was and how much off list the guitar was, at that point I'd either buy or walk.

I know a long time sales rep for PRS. We have had dinner and beer. But when asked about the Guitar Center policy of selling gig bags separately, he backpeddled and never quite answered the question of whether or not they should be doing that.

So, my conclusion is, if you buy enough units wholesale, PRS will look the other way if you decide to lie to your customers about whether or not a gig bag is included.

Until someone tells me differently from within PRS and assures me that neither GC, or now MF, will do this in the future, be prepared to throw a hissy fit to get what you should not have to pay for..

Last edited:
http://davesguitar.com/products/paul-reed-smith/condition/new/type/electric-guitar/series/SE

yes they are supposed to come with gig bag. they are SHIPPED to dealers IN THEM. MF and GC are basically one and the same. owned by the same corporation. I have a co-woker that YEARS ago like 2000 bought a Taylor 410ce and they sold him the case seperatly and told him he was being taken for a ride as they are all shipped from the factory IN the case. But I suppose if a dealer or franchise wells enogh they can do what they want.

I'm not so sure, when I bought my Semi-hollow (new and at a very good price) it came in one of those trianglish boxes, it was a tight fit and looked like it had been factory packed due to the foam padding (especially the special bit of foam around the pickup selector) and the factory card and tools in the box. There was no room for a soft case and I got the feeling the company bought a bunch of them cheap without cases. They've got a cheap run of Korina SE Ones now, and they don't come with cases either, however they do sell other SEs, and they come with cases.

I'm thinking it's order specific from the factory and they might get offered them cheaper sometimes without the gig bag.

This is a sticking point with me.

I have shopped in all the local stores that carry PRS as licensed dealers. Only one of them, Guitar Center has tried to sell me a brand spankin' new SE without including a gig bag. And they have tried to do it more than once.

The conversation goes like this.

"I like this SE is there any room to move on the price?"

The answer would sometimes be "Yes," and sometimes be "No." But the next response was always "Would you like a gig bag as well?"

To which I would say, "They come with gig bags. Are you going to try to charge me more for something that supposed to be included?"

"They don't all come with gig bags."

"Yes, they do. I'm not buying that guitar unless you give me the gig bag it came with, period"

"I'll have to have that OKed by my manager."

pause

"He said that we don't normally do this, but he'll throw in the gig bag."

Depending on how pissed I was and how much off list the guitar was, at that point I'd either buy or walk.

I know a long time sales rep for PRS. We have had dinner and beer. But when asked about the Guitar Center policy of selling gig bags separately, he backpeddled and never quite answered the question of whether or not they should be doing that.

So, my conclusion is, if you buy enough units wholesale, PRS will look the other way if you decide to lie to your customers about whether or not a gig bag is included.

Until someone tells me differently from within PRS and assures me that neither GC, or now MF, will do this in the future, be prepared to throw a hissy fit to get what you should not have to pay for..

+1. I bought an SE at GC this fall on sale for about $150 off what it normally retails for. Which was a pretty decent deal, but of course, when it came time to walk out of the store, I asked for the gig bag and got the typical BS response "oh, the sale doesn't include the gig bag." Well, if you're not going to give me the whole package, it's not really a sale, is it? I'm just paying less to get less. I was a little peeved, those are nice gig bags, plus I had to buy a cheapie one just to get the axe home. Maybe we should all start going into GC with a case in hand and demand a discount because we won't be taking the gig bag?

I'd really like to know what the hell they do with all those gig bags. Seriously, if they get one with every SE, what is GC/MF doing with THOUSANDS of extra gig bags? It would be nice if PRS would allow people to mail a copy of their receipt and just ship the things to us. At least that way the customer has some way of actually getting what's supposed to be included. GC also has a bad tendency to not include the truss rod and bridge adjustment tools, which also happened with the above purchase. I surely don't blame PRS for these shenanigans, but it does suck when you buy an SE on sale, but by the time you walk out it's a wash because you had to shell out the extra for a decent case.

Last edited:

A dealer who does not supply one should have their licence revolked.

totally agree or at least they should be restricted as to the value of PRS stock they can carry.

It would be nice if PRS could enforce that policy with GC/MF, but we're talking about retailers that are responsible for what I assume is a HUGE chunk of sales for PRS. Cha Ching!

About 6 months ago my buddy bought a Les paul from GC and they charged him $200 for a hard case!! Last weekend he bought a Strat from the same GC, and comes walking in to practice with a gig bag that he had to buy, and they didn't even include the tremelo arm with the guitar? Both of those situations would have been deal breakers for me. I cant believe anyone would drop $1K+ on a guitar and then have to buy a case for it. Hell, I cant believe ANY guitar would come without a case or bag.

My brother bought an SE at guitar center and they told him it didn't come with a gig bag. He asked for at least a box to take it home and they said they didn't have any. I think this is a horrible practice that guitar center uses and I would never buy from them. Most of the guitars at my local GC are new guitars that have been used being sold as new guitars for very little discount.

Back in the early days of the old PRS Forum 13-14 years ago, GC was trying to charge extra for the hard case on USA models that came with cases even then. Folks raised a huge stink over it, and GC changed their policy to include the hard cases. It's my recollection that PRS had the customers' backs on this.

It would be nice if PRS could enforce that policy with GC/MF, but we're talking about retailers that are responsible for what I assume is a HUGE chunk of sales for PRS. Cha Ching!

I should of elaborated and whilst I appreciate a lot of this thread is referring to the huge megastores/franchises that are in the USA (we have 1 or 2 over here in the UK but not as big) other manufacturers limit the stock they allow some stores to carry and based on how that store portrays the brand and on the stores buying power, now I don't have a clue into what policies PRS has with regard to this cos I see PRS at all levels in every store that stocks them, but it is well known that PRS have 3 tiers (SE,USA Factory and Private Stock)

What I was highlighting was since the majority of the profit goes to the retailer then if the retailer portrays the product badly then reduce their profit margin by only allowing them access to bottom tier product.

The Grand Rapids (MI) Guitar Center gets the SE guitars from PRS without gig bags. I know this because I have watched them bring boxed SEs to the floor which are trapezoidal looking and have no signs of being previously opened as the employee looked around for something to break the package seals with.
Another key to knowing: Guitar Center price tags say "Price with Bag" or "Price with Case" right below their big price number on the tag.

Is there anyone who works at PRS taking part of this discussion that can tell me whether or not the PRS bag would be in a separate box if the guitar was not packed in it?

Unless someone here works for GC/MF in procurement, any comments are pure speculation. According to a GC employee that I had a conversation with regarding this topic, 2 days ago, they receive their SE PRSi without gig bags. As in all purchases, it would be beneficial to thoroughly read the product description, and if something is in question, visit or call and talk to a human. :rolleyes:

I remember seeing a "official" vid probably last year or the year before saying that all the SE's came with a gigbag...

Back