Do You have a signature sound?

Pretty much this:

I also sound like me regardless of the amp or guitar. It doesn't really stem from how you play (strum your guitar, how you hold or position your guitar or even how you use your effects) but rather it us how you set your clean tone and how you go from there. The thought process of how you follow through with the following notes.
Question for those of you who say your tone is based on your clean tone and where you go from there...I recently asked what pickups people use and a common answer was neck split for clean but most of the time is spent on the bridge humbucker. It doesn't seem like tone is based on clean if most people are spending most of their time on the bridge. Does that make sense or am I missing something here?

My biggest problem in the cover bands I’ve played in is that I struggle to sound like the tones in the song we’re trying to emulate. It’s not that I can’t discern the difference; it’s more about being comfortable outside of my box. Admittedly, part is due to laziness, but I have this tone in my head that I want to put into most songs. I know I limit myself and the music due to that, but it’s a hard habit to break.

My biggest problem in the cover bands I’ve played in is that I struggle to sound like the tones in the song we’re trying to emulate. It’s not that I can’t discern the difference; it’s more about being comfortable outside of my box. Admittedly, part is due to laziness, but I have this tone in my head that I want to put into most songs. I know I limit myself and the music due to that, but it’s a hard habit to break.
To me, that's not a bug, it's a feature!

It's admirable that your natural inclination is to pursue your own tone, even doing a cover. F'rinstance, SRV covered songs, and sounded like SRV; I liked that.

Yeah, kind of. I have played boogies of the classic variety, now I play a MB TA15 (voxy, marshallesque) and profiles of my previous mesa stiletto. I guess I have a favo amp
builder.

However, no matter what kind of amp I play: the greenback speaker is quite important and consequently my sound has quite an emphasis on the midrange and some chime on top, but apparently I am not bottom end guy. That fingerprint had been my staple for about 20 yrs

I wouldn't break it, I always did they same. It's very rare to find a vocalist with the same characteristics of the original, and even then it's going to only apply to song from same source. If they get leeway to not sound exact, then why should I have to match tone/style exact? At least that's the approach I've taken without any real complaints.

Generall, I prefer using the the term interpretation rather than cover. I think it's a more accurate description of most covers that I like. The was a band called Girl In A Coma that put out an album of covers, called appropriately enough "Adventures in Coverland". The cover they did of Transmission by Joy Division is so different from original - acapella accompanied by finger snaps rather than guitar/synth. It's definitely an interpretation rather than straight cover, and that's why I like it.

I used to be driven, minor, heavy handed and high gain but now I’m more bass cleans and a nice break. Sure I still ‘rev the engine’ but I don’t think a tone can define me, more my style of playing 
.or inability to do so

Back