Do Pick Up Cover effect sound ?

Nova227

I have an SE 24- 08. Thinking about covers in them.
Do pick up cover effect sound ?
Does adjusting the pole piece screw to match the height effect sound ?

Thanks

Covers definitely sound different. Smoother with a bit less ultra-high-end, as was said above. You can do pole pieces by ear, or you can also do it on an oscilloscope. By ear is probably good enough, though.

In my experience, yes they change the sound somewhat. My ex guitar also feedbacks a lot until I took off the covers.

Why do you want to cover, if I may ask?

There are also open bucket covers, fyi.

apinq9nqp__61249.1638217027.jpg

Covers take off some highs. If you go with a pure nickel cover it won’t affect the tone as much, but it will still affect it.
True. Some covers have a layer of copper under the nickle plating. I find these to dull the sound even more. I have seen covers with a layer of brass under the nickle too and they are the worst, but those seem pretty rare. Philadelphia Luthier states which covers are pure nickle in the part descriptions. Gibson nickle covers are pure nickle as well. As far as chrome covers go, I don't know if they have layers of other materials under the chrome.

Adjusting pole piece screw height is more about balancing volume string to string, rather than tone. Tame that excessive B string-ring!

Back