DIY Cabinet

Toolmaster Of Brainerd

You know what a loon is, noodle head?
At some point in the future I want to get a PRS amp head. But then I'll need a cabinet to go with it. Cabinets seem pretty simple to me. A speaker, a wooden box to house it, and a little bit of electronics to go from the input jack to the speaker. It seems silly to me to pay a lot of money for a cabinet when the speaker is the only sophisticated part. I would rather build a cabinet out of a better wood than plywood and spend my money on a nice speaker.

Does anyone know where I can buy an input jack and the rest of the electronics? Is there anything to it besides a jack and 2 wires that connect to the speaker?

So, uhh, acoustics of speaker cabinets is a whole science with modeling software and psycho-acoustic node calculations.

But, yeah, you can bang together a cabinet out of any old thing and get sound. I made a slant 2x12 in woodshop in high-school.

I think StewMac has jacks, you can use any old 2-wire jacks that seem sturdy enough, just make sure you get fairly heavy speaker wire.

Just looked, seems as if they are out.

Here's something from the amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Speake...1&keywords=speaker+jack&qid=1600055570&sr=8-3

Yeah... I’ve tried a few times in my life but never had any real success with that, but if you do go ahead, I’d suggest ripping off the exact dimensions of already proven commercially made cabinets.

I also got buried in material and hardware costs. Things like handles, corners, cloth, and tolex/carpet really add up.

Ok fellas, let the record show, he asked for this! :D

Just kidding, @Toolmaster Of Brainerd , you didn't really ask for ALL of this. But you're gonna get it.

I've made a few cabs now, recently finished these 1x12's to pair with my also new Sweet 16 LTD head, and a couple years ago I did a tall/offset speaker 2x12 closed back to match with my Custom 50.

The 1x12's
50256856133_b6c466d94e_c.jpg

50257515241_4b3f3a03d8_c.jpg

The 2x12
44327754145_c318f7d89e_c.jpg

43425430070_53fb3648cf_c.jpg

44327754505_7fe7792489_c.jpg

So, yes, you can successfully build cabinets... I mean, I did it!

BUT

You need to know what parts you need, and have a solid plan, or they can become expensive in a real hurry! I'm talking buying parts just to see what works, not knowing what to get, etc. Like @sergiodeblanc said, that stuff adds up fast.

StewMac may be a good source, but their upcharge for what are not actually expensive parts is often pretty hefty. I did most of my parts for these as a combination of AmplifiedParts, Mojotone, and a local Ace Hardware with the world's most kick@$$ hardware selection of fasteners, etc.

This is probably going to be way more information than you really hoped for, but if you decide to undertake this project, please read on, because it'll save you a boatload of money.

First, cabinet type and materials - basically, you have 3 types: Closed back, open back, and ported. In a closed back cab, the overall volume, as well as the specific dimensions, can influence the behavior of the speakers and the overall tone. Open back cabinets generally don't impart much tonal influence, they're just a box that holds a speaker, and since they're open, their enclosure is... Earth's atmosphere. Although materials, resonance, etc. can play a part. Ported cabs are like closed cabs on crack, don't go there unless you have a build plan for a time tested design, because tuning the porting is a complex science at best, trial and error at worst, you don't want to go just "winging it" for the first time unless you have a specific blueprint.

Closed back (and ported) cabs are usually made from birch plywood. It's sturdy, and effectively kills all resonance, especially as you increase the number of plies. The goal with most closed cabs is to defeat resonance of the cabinet material itself, and rely on the internal volume and internal dimensions of the cabinet to influence the response of the speakers. Open cabs, on the other hand, at least the most respected ones, are usually made from solid pine. Being open, there's no internal air space to influence the speakers. Whereas the laminations of plywood kill resonance, solid pine will resonate, so you get some influence there. All of that being said, of the cabs I've made, all have sounded really good, and I basically picked the dimensions without calculating EQ influence (more on that in a minute). The two most important things to choose are speaker type and cabinet type. You should pick the kind of enclosure you want, open or closed, and what kind of driver you want in it. The rest does make a difference, yes, but not as much. Closed cabs are usually punchier and fuller in the bass, open cabs are usually brighter on top and skinner in the bass. Put another way, closed cabs are often the choice for hard rock and metal, open cabs for lighter styles, but that's a generality. When it comes to mathematically designing dimensions of a closed back for tone, it's kind of a crap shoot, unless you want to get into some pretty heavy physics and digging deep for speaker specs, and even then, it's minutiae compared to open vs. closed and speaker types. Guitar speakers are incredibly "colored" frequency filters compared to something like PA speakers, and have less linear EQ response over their volume range, so manufacturers like Celestion often don't publish all the info one would need to really tune a cabinet mathematically.

Now, into the literal nuts and bolts of a cabinet build...

First choice, how are you going to build the cabinet frame? Finger jointed cabinets (which I think are actually "box joints" in the world of woodworking) are the most respected type for guitar cabs, but not absolutely necessary if you don't have the tools. I made all of mine with plain butt joints, reinforced with a 1.5x1.5" board, with both countersunk screws and wood glue, as you see here:
50261246266_71b1c9a2d4_c.jpg

I don't think there's much strength difference in these joints, my cabs are rock solid, but of course, the cleats add a little weight.

Many (most) cab frames are made from 3/4" wood, either pine or ply. For the baffle (where the speakers mount into) on either type, I would recommend 1/2" ply. Thick enough to do the job, any thicker and you're just adding extra weight. I also like to use a 0.75x1.5" cleat for the baffle attachment as seen in the above photo.

I like to use #8 screws for almost everything in my builds, except the hardware finishing. Into the reinforcement/cleat boards for the butt joints, to attach the baffle cleats to the frame, and to attach the baffle to the baffle cleats, all countersunk. #8 screws, preferably with a large diameter head, with corresponding T-nuts, for mounting the speakers in the baffle and for attaching the back panels. IIRC I used #8-32 machine screws for both tasks, round head (flat bottom) for speaker mounting, oval head (with tapered bottom) and corresponding #8 finish washers, stainless, look nice to attach the back panels. Make sure to get the correct length screws for each attachment you need to make.

The only other hard part of woodworking is the grill frame. You can either attach it directly to the baffle and add the grill cloth after that (but before installing the baffle/grill in the cab frame itself), or make a stand alone grill frame and apply the grill cloth before installing it over the baffle (baffle being already installed into the rest of the cab frame for this technique). I did the latter, using mitered corners, glued together into a rectangular frame using a band/framing clamp. Either way, you want a little bit of a raised frame to separate the grill cloth from the baffle. Try to apply the grill cloth on a warm day, after letting it sit out in the sun for a while to heat up and expand (makes it more taut when finished). Gotta pull that stuff tight!

Beyond that, if you're at all handy with woodworking, it's pretty easy. It's the following stuff that you can learn the hard way, or the easy way. I'll give you the easy way!

When it comes to tolex, it's a wide world. I used a medium grade tolex on the 1x12's, and liked it, but after seeing it, I think the heavier stuff is what's on the PRS heads, and it's probably just more resilient, too. On the 2x12, I actually used a "marine vinyl," because I liked the pattern. It has a very slightly padded backing, so it gives a little and will take a beating before blemishing, but I would only recommend it on a closed cab, where you're not worried about damping the resonance of the enclosure. When applying your covering, watch the tolex videos on the "Uncle Doug" youtube channel for general technique. Word of warning though, he recommends using a contact adhesive in combination with a spray upholstery adhesive, I strongly advise against doing so. I did that on my first go-round covering the 2x12, and the 3M upholstery spray adhesive I used was incompatible with the contact cement over the long term, and I ended up having to recover the whole thing (not fun). Second time around with the 2x12, and both 1x12's, I used only the contact adhesive (DAP Weldwood Original/red can). Mojotone and AmplifiedParts both sell their own tolex glue, as far as I can tell it's just glorified water-based contact cement, and opinions on its effectiveness vs a solvent based like the Weldwood Original are mixed, the consensus I've heard is that solvent base is a little easier to get good results with, but has the nasty fumes and very flammable, so work with it outside! But anyway, Uncle Doug's techniques on corners are excellent. If you're building a smaller cabinet, I do recommend doing a one-piece wrap with only a single seam - he advises against that, but I did it with the 1x12's and it looks cleaner, and isn't that hard, in fact, maybe easier than multi-piece in some ways. Heck, you might even want to build two cabinets your first time, just to get the hang of applying the covering one as a practice run.

For finishing hardware, most PRS amp heads use the Ampeg style handle, black leather/black stitching, available at either Mojotone or AmplifiedParts. The corner covers are most like the 2-hole corner covers at Mojotone, and they sell a corresponding set of black screws too (not what I used, BTW, I like the lower profile ones, but I'm sure either are fine). I also used the Mojotone black jack plate (or jack ferrule, as they call it) and their wiring harnesses. And, of course, getcha some nice rubber feet for the bottom.

WHEW

That's all the things you didn't want to know, but will save you a ton of money, when building your own cabinets!

I do really recommend it though. I wanted odd dimensions on my 2x12, and just couldn't find a 1x12 with the right cosmetics, build type, and speakers in the current PRS cabinets to go with the Sweet 16. I think the current PRS cabs are plenty affordable, FWIW, if you do like one of them, disregard this info and just buy one, because you'll spend as much on a build. But more expensive, USA made cabinets (Mesa, older PRS, top end Marshall, Friedman, Bogner, etc.) you can make for cheaper than buying a new one.

I once made a pretty decent cab out of scraps and bits with crappy tools and no experience. I had an ADA "Split Stack" upright 2x12 and copied it. It was a pretty cheap project, but I never put any sort of finish or tolex or whatever on it. I took a speaker I already had, combined it with some cheapie I got somewhere, ordered some 12" speaker grilles, and put the whole thing together. It worked, it sounded OK, and was super reliable. I used it for several years.

Just found a super old photo, has to be at least 20 years old, and you can see it in the background. I also built the head shell for the Marshall amp on top; that was a 1x12 combo originally (1985 JCM800 4010). Notice the CRT computer screen behind me, I was mixing something from ADAT straight into the computer, monitoring on my home stereo in the apartment I lived in at the time.

qyPjHq2.jpg

EDIT: Ah, here's another one, you can sort of see the ADA cab next to my copy.

T8enYBZ.jpg

If you decide to build from plywood, look for the stuff that's made of lots of plies (layers). I forget the exact number for 1/2" ply but I think it's 7 layers? If you look at basic plywood in Home Depot you'll get an idea of how many layers is not enough ;)

Also do you play guitar like natural disaster? I grew up down the street from Trip Shakespeare's (and semi-sonic's) bassist. I may have done some equipment hauling for one or another of his high school bands.

Heck, I always build/rebuild all of mine.
First, a couple of builds, blatantly ripping off well known manufacturers:

HPoRa9F.jpg

4ZV9aeh.jpg

IWwseH1.jpg

hjCZsES.jpg

Next, picking up a $200 TRASHED used find and getting her screaming again:
B1g8Y24.jpg

uJtagsS.jpg

n5GtRpB.jpg
I failed at the kind of joinery you have there. None of my tools were precise enough.

Man, Doug, you do nice work!
This is all ridiculously impressive, you know.

Thanks fellas! It's all about being cheap where I can, so I can splurge elsewhere! :D

I failed at the kind of joinery you have there. None of my tools were precise enough.

Lol, thanks, but it's not really joinery. The first two are really just cut and glued furniture-grade plywood, since that's what Marshall uses. You can see in this closer-up image from my garage.

qyMRboC.jpg

The orange one IS joinery, but really simple: I started with a standard Home Depot 2x12, planed it down to 3/4", and built it from that. I wanted to see if "hardwood" would make a difference. After that it was just a 1 3/4 HP Dewalt router with a straight bit for the joints. Glue it up (you can see the fingers aren't "that" perfect), a little bit of caulk inside the seams, and that's it.

Also do you play guitar like natural disaster? I grew up down the street from Trip Shakespeare's (and semi-sonic's) bassist. I may have done some equipment hauling for one or another of his high school bands.

I absolutely play like a natural disaster. My parents were neighbors of Matt and John when I was like 2. I've met Matt and John a few times, and seen them in concert a lot of times. So cool that you knew John growing up!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Still deciding on what amp I want. Now I'm leaning towards an Archon 25, in which case I would not need to build a cabinet. But who knows what I'll end up with.

When I was growing up John was great to me. He let me hang out a bit, I was younger (by a couple of years). He used to play with one of my high school friends, a drummer named Tim Rowe.

I remember one day they auditioned a guitarist. The guy played all the Hendrix tunes, spot on. I was mesmerized. He didn't get the job.

Here are my two cents: as mentioned, getting a closed back cab right is...a challenge. Since you are thinking about an open back cab, it's easier, but the construction is important. The corners are dadoed and cleated, but finger, dovetail, or just butt joints can work. I also recommend building a multi-piece back panel, so you can experiment.

Working with tolex and grill clothes kinda sucks!

For this one, I went with the dimensions of a Mesa large 1x12, in some striped African Mahogany. It sounds great open, and weak closed. I've also run half a dozen speakers through it. It's got a Jensen 100 watt Blackbird in it right now.

It's below the two THD heads.

DV1IkwG.jpg

A little closer.

lg7Y02X.jpg

Here are my two cents: as mentioned, getting a closed back cab right is...a challenge. Since you are thinking about an open back cab, it's easier, but the construction is important. The corners are dadoed and cleated, but finger, dovetail, or just butt joints can work. I also recommend building a multi-piece back panel, so you can experiment.

Working with tolex and grill clothes kinda sucks!

For this one, I went with the dimensions of a Mesa large 1x12, in some striped African Mahogany. It sounds great open, and weak closed. I've also run half a dozen speakers through it. It's got a Jensen 100 watt Blackbird in it right now.

It's below the two THD heads.

DV1IkwG.jpg

A little closer.

lg7Y02X.jpg
Great set up.

Back