DIY Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Toolmaster Of Brainerd, Sep 14, 2020.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules There will never be another

Cool amps!

Egads likes this.
  2. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

Thanks. Those are pretty unique amps, and can cop a near enough to Marshall tone for me. The BiValve is LOUD and very unforgiving. If I'm having an off day, this amps will make it seem even worse!

bodia and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  3. Toolmaster Of Brainerd

I brought home an Archon 100 today, so I will probably be building a cabinet over Christmas. It's go time!

DougUSMC, bodia and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  4. Toolmaster Of Brainerd

What speaker should I put in it? Leaning towards some kind of Celestion Vintage 30, but I'm very open to recommendations.

I see Cannabis Rex and Swamp Thang speakers mentioned very often. Weird names, to be honest.

I play both clean and with distortion (which is why I got an Archon). I also play with both single coils and humbuckers. A speaker that sounds great with all combinations is preferred.

#24 Toolmaster Of Brainerd, Nov 21, 2020 at 5:10 AM
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 5:16 AM
  5. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

You can buy the UK made Mesa version of the V30 for about the same price as the plain Jane Chinese version, IMO the Mesa is the better buy. I find the Chinese version has a nasty hole in the treble/2-4K range that steals a lot of articulation when playing hard rock, the Mesa evens that out. The WGS Veteran 30 is another nice alternative.

Or, if you’re into mixing speakers, I like the Cream Alnico, Creamback 75, or CL80 with the Chinese V30’s. I have an IR loader and I like to tinker!

6. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Genuinely a great post!

Picking up these semi-custom made cabs used is a cheap affair and you can get massive bang for the buck. If you have the right tools at your disposal and don’t mind spending almost full retail of a production cab, it’s a fun project. But like mentioned, you can break the bank on extra cool hardware and exotic coverings. Hey, it’s only $$$.

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules There will never be another

What type and style of cab are you building?

I’m going to go against the norm and say to avoid V30s. V30s came in every cab I’ve bought in the last few years. PRS cab, Mesa cab, Dr. Z cab.... and I’m not a huge fan of V30s.

They do somethings well of course. But a single coil and a fuzz pedal? Never made that work in 20 years of trying. Single coils in general? Never liked them. My favorite cab/speaker for my Archon is my Mesa Thiele/Eminence EM12. But I just ordered a Warehouse EM12 so we’ll see if that is as good, or even better. I like the balance and the “get out what you put in” aspect of this type of speaker.

In th 2x cabs, I’ve gone to mixing speakers. My Dr. Z has a V30 and a Warehouse ET65 and it sounds great. My PRS now has a V30 and a Warehouse ET90 and it sounds better than before as well. I may drop a couple Scumbacks in the Mesa cab. Lot of V30s for sale. LOL.

8. Toolmaster Of Brainerd

Definitely planning on open back. I was going to make a small 1x12 cabinet, but the Archon would not fit on top of it. I could put the cabinet on top of the Archon but then the knobs are basically at the floor and that's uncomfortable. Plus, I would get laughed at by real guitar players, and I can't have that.

I'm thinking if I have to build the cabinet as wide as the Archon, then I might as well build a 2x12. I might only put 1 speaker in it for now but I think it makes sense to leave myself the option of putting in a second speaker.

How does the sound change when you use 2x12 or 4x12 cabinets?