Disappointing First SE 24 Standard Experience

Should I have to pay to ship it to the factory?

• Total voters

Digitalien1

I just bought my first PRS SE Standard guitar. I was very happy with the guitar when I left the store (Sam Ash, Hollywood). I didn't really examine it closely in the store. When I did so at home, I noticed the tremolo bridge wasn't installed properly. The store had the screws tightened so that the bridge couldn't be moved down. I thought that would be a simple adjustment I could do at home. (The store wouldn't perform an initial setup on the guitar as they said they were backed up 2 weeks.) At home, I installed the tremolo bar and could immediately tell something was wrong. The bridge was not moving freely. When I took the back plate off and examined the bridge, I noticed that the routing hole wasn't in the right place and the bridge rubbed up against the body every time it was moved. I was so disappointed. When I reinstalled the cover plate I noticed the string holes weren't even aligned with the hole in the cover plate. The high E string hole in the bridge is 1/2 covered by the cover plate. I'm so disappointed now. The bridge needs to be removed and the hole re-routed and enlarged to allow the bridge to move freely. I started wonder if this was why I was sold a 2008 model (SN# IC05324) when I thought I was being sold a 2017 model. Is the bridge ruined from being improperly installed after 10 years? I also noticed the nut was too short and I can feel the sharp indentations on the neck where the nut should be. The fret ends feel rough up and down the neck too. The push-pull tone pot is loose internally and the knob wiggles back and forth. I like the guitar and don't want to exchange it but I can't help but to wonder if this guitar just has too many problems. I emailed customer service at PRS and they want me to pay to ship it to them ($100) so they can look at it. Seems like the best thing I can do is just return it to the store for a refund.

Just return it - why bother with all of this and the shipping cost for a "budget-priced" 10 year old guitar?

No mystery why it took them 10 years to sell that guitar! SE's are among the best guitars in their price-range, and they just get better every year. You have no attachment to it (yet) - time to move on and buy a 2017/18 model....

Return to Samash. Sure it's not a used guitar? The shipping/waiting/repair doesn't pencil on an SE, let alone a new purchase. Good luck.

As others have mentioned... return for a refund. This one isn't worth the hassle.

Yeah, I would definitely return it. Unfortunately, Sam Ash and GC mislabel PRS guitars fairly often. I see it all the time when I'm browsing used stuff on GC's website.

Return it. Of some idiot screwed the bridge down so it doesn’t operate correctly, you’d have to be awfully into that guitar to want to keep it.

Also realize, PRS would NEVER ship a guitar like that, so the store screwed up big time.

Did you buy it used, or new-old stock? Let’s see some pics brotha.

I can’t explain my thought process, I read Sergio’s comment and an image of PRSh in hot pants and his obligatory striped shirt came into my head!:D:eek:

Apologies Mr Smith if you read any of this! I make this comment with the deepest of respect and I’m sure you have the legs to carry off that look!

I can’t explain my thought process, I read Sergio’s comment and an image of PRSh in hot pants and his obligatory striped shirt came into my head!:D:eek:

Apologies Mr Smith if you read any of this! I make this comment with the deepest of respect and I’m sure you have the legs to carry off that look!

Don’t worry, he doesn’t read this stuff.

Update: PRS customer service arranged for the guitar to be shipped to them for inspection. It being NAMM time of year I don't expect to hear back for 3 weeks or so, as I am sure everyone there is really busy. I can't wait to get the guitar back though, I don't really remember what it looks like anymore as I only had it for one week! I really hope that the problem isn't to difficult to fix, though I suspect it will need the bridge cavity re-routed to allow the bridge to move freely. Thanks for all the relpys!

Keep us posted. Interested to see the outcome. Had a similar issue with the same chain in regards to an amplifier.

Update: PRS customer service arranged for the guitar to be shipped to them for inspection. It being NAMM time of year I don't expect to hear back for 3 weeks or so, as I am sure everyone there is really busy. I can't wait to get the guitar back though, I don't really remember what it looks like anymore as I only had it for one week! I really hope that the problem isn't to difficult to fix, though I suspect it will need the bridge cavity re-routed to allow the bridge to move freely. Thanks for all the relpys!
Hope your guitar is back with you soon so you can enjoy it.

Good luck

Back