Difference in USA PRS Piezo Systems?

HighGain510

Just one more...
I was perusing the PRS site recently since I'm interested in sending my Tonare Grand back to the factory and having the PTC team install the USA PRS Piezo system. It shows the following info on the current spec page for the piezo section on the Tonare Grand:

ELECTRONICS
PRS Pickup SystemProprietary, full band width piezo pick up with a proprietary 18-volt custom-voiced preamp
LR Baggs Lyric Acoustic Guitar MicrophoneFeatherweight internal microphone and hi-fidelity mic preamplifier with soundhole volume and presence controls

The previous page for the specs on the Tonare Grand (still cached in google searches so I was able to pull it up) didn't mentioned anything about the "LR Baggs Lyric Acoustic Guitar Microphone" though?

ELECTRONICS
Optional ElectronicsPRS Pickup system - The PRS Acoustic pickup system is a proprietary, full band width Piezo pick up that is combined with a proprietary 18 volt custom-voiced preamp.

Since there was no mention of the 2nd half of the electronics on the previous spec page, I wasn't sure if that was now part of the standard piezo system, or if it was something they added in the last year or two? Anyone know for sure? I was quoted $600 to have the PTC install the system on my Tonare, but I wasn't sure if that was the "full" system (i.e. the 18v under-saddle piezo pickup + internal mic/soundhole preamp) or if there wasn't actually any difference between what they've always used, and they just changed the verbiage on the site to be more explicit? I know we have several USA owners on the site and most of them have piezo, so anyone here able to shed some light on this? I don't want to keep bugging the PTC folks/Shawn directly since I'm not ready to send her in just yet, but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting when I do. :laugh: Definitely going to have it installed at some point, I love the natural sound of the acoustic so since the piezo system they use on these seems to capture the natural unplugged tone of the guitar very well from the clips I've heard, so I'm sure it's only a matter of time and funds (planning to get the refin and piezo install handled on the same trip, but since I know that will take some time I'd like to enjoy this baby for a while longer before I do!). Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated! :hello:

I have the PRS System on my acoustic; I believe the Baggs system is a new offering.

It's my understanding that the PRS system I have consists of a McIntyre Feather pickup specially made for PRS that's mounted on the bridge plate. The Feather pickup is very light weight, and doesn't seem to affect the tone of the guitar acoustically. Before I had my current maple bodied Tonare Grand, I had a cocobolo one without the pickup.

I don't believe that the pickup negatively affects the tone of the guitar based on having these two. Here's a link to a nice demo showing the Feather's capability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEhOhvOAqsA

The preamp is PRS' design, powered by two 9V batteries with a single volume control neatly tucked in the soundhole so only the very edge of the control is visible.

The Lyric system is a larger and heavier device mounted to the bridge plate, but it's also a real mic and not a piezo. There's electronics wizardry to make it sound good.

This review in Acoustic Guitar is pretty thorough:

https://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/Reviews/L.R.-Baggs-Lyric-Review

For internal pickups, these are both very good alternatives, and I'd have a tough time deciding. Neither sounds as good as a stand-mounted condenser or a good ribbon mic in front of the guitar, but they're excellent alternatives for times that isn't possible or for live performance.

I had the PRS system but it had a lot of feedback. Went with the Lyric, sounds great.................

I had the PRS system but it had a lot of feedback. Went with the Lyric, sounds great.................

Francric, is the sound quality any better with the Lyric, or is it just the feedback thing?

The reason I ask is that I only use the PRS system in conjunction with a mic in the studio, to split off to, say, an effects box in parallel. If the sound is better with the Lyric, I'd consider switching.

Thanks for all the info Les! :)

I'm curious about that too, Frank. Any more info you could share on the Lyric system would be great if you don't mind! :D

Mainly the feedback but the sound quality is nice too. Honestly could not say if the lyric is better sounding cause I did not A/B them...........................

Back