Difference between the PRS Original Sewell and Super Dallas?

ZY. BU

I’m a Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks fan, I know they have used Super Dallas or Dallas maybe and I really want to find one for myself. But I also notice there is an Original Sewell type, They looks just the same so I'm wondering what is the difference between them, like tones, speakers?

The original Sewell is for me the PRS amp with the best tone by far. It is like a hot rodded Marshall.

It has limited features though. Amps that came out after it with more features did not have a similar tone. I have owned an H a C a MT15 and played through a lot of others.

It seems they are going either for a pedal platform or a high gain metal amp. This has led me to going to another company. :(

I’m a Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks fan, I know they have used Super Dallas or Dallas maybe and I really want to find one for myself. But I also notice there is an Original Sewell type, They looks just the same so I'm wondering what is the difference between them, like tones, speakers?
You can’t judge by looks since many look identical. Same shells, same coverings, some SuperDs are marked with a Dallas tag, etc. The back plate usually tells the story more than anything...other that pulling the amp out of the shell.

The Original Sewell is not a Dallas variant, so, at least IMO, not in the same wheelhouse. But, then again, the differences between the Dallas and Super Dallas are just about as monumental with a completely different power stage. Warren certainly did sport a Super Dallas - and probably one of the very first - for quite a while. David Grissom told Doug that the SuperD was the one to beat. Until he came up with something “better”, that was his amp choice from PRS. Obviously the signature models followed (DG also loved both HXDA variants and recorded extensively with them, too).

Warren’s biggest secret with his amps is his pedalboard. Farmer always dialed-in the amps to their sweet spot and Warren did the rest with dirt boxes and guitar volume (watched him do that up close). Even when playing provided back line for a small venue (Deluxe Reverb combo), he sounded just like him.

I’ve studied several shows where *I think* he’s playing the SuperD and it sounded glorious. The settings were somewhat visible and even a buddy of mine sent me pics from the stage! If you’re pursuing one of his sounds, the SuperD can get you pretty close. Finding one is a totally different challenge.

Without a loop, how does the Sewell handle delay or reverb into the front? Also are you able to say how it compares to the HXDA, that got pretty gainy when cranked but it was pushed Plexi, what’s the tonality of the Sewell? Wish there was some clips, never see anyone Dime a PRS amp in a demo. I would love to hear fifteen seconds of riffing or power chords just to know what type of modded Marshall tone it is.

Without a loop, how does the Sewell handle delay or reverb into the front? Also are you able to say how it compares to the HXDA, that got pretty gainy when cranked but it was pushed Plexi, what’s the tonality of the Sewell? Wish there was some clips, never see anyone Dime a PRS amp in a demo. I would love to hear fifteen seconds of riffing or power chords just to know what type of modded Marshall tone it is.
There are a ton of HX/DA videos in the thread below, some with maxed settings. For a genuine Plexi tone, I haven’t found anything that can touch it. It’s not the sort of gain some of the newer amps have, but it’s not meant to chase that sound. The HX/DA cleans up with the guitar volume, and is versatile in spite of its single channel design. Rather than derail this Sewell/SD thread, I’ll point you to the HX/DA conversation:

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...are-your-hxda-knowledge-with-the-world.44624/

To date, the HX/DA is the only PRS amp I have... well, two of them, actually. I’ve only seen videos or heard recordings of the others, so I won’t comment much on them. I’d love to add a DG 30 or 50, but opportunity and cash haven’t aligned on that one yet. Sorry to say that I know very little about the Dallas and S/D, but I’m learning!

Yeah I had an HXDA and got to hear it in all it’s glory, which was tremendous. Still curious though about the high gain potential of the Sewell, MDT, and Paul’s/Recording amps. Most reviewers are afraid to twist the gain knob too hard, it won’t hurt it.....

I had a Blistertone which was super punchy but the gain didn’t get saturated enough or feel ‘chewy’ to me, and I got to crank it up, underrated amp but not my tone.

Yeah I had an HXDA and got to hear it in all it’s glory, which was tremendous. Still curious though about the high gain potential of the Sewell, MDT, and Paul’s/Recording amps. Most reviewers are afraid to twist the gain knob too hard, it won’t hurt it.....

I had a Blistertone which was super punchy but the gain didn’t get saturated enough or feel ‘chewy’ to me, and I got to crank it up, underrated amp but not my tone.
Your making me think I need to kick everyone out of the house, and the two next door, and crank my MDT. I feel it has tons of gain, but you have me wondering about the saturated limit.

You can’t judge by looks since many look identical. Same shells, same coverings, some SuperDs are marked with a Dallas tag, etc. The back plate usually tells the story more than anything...other that pulling the amp out of the shell.

The Original Sewell is not a Dallas variant, so, at least IMO, not in the same wheelhouse. But, then again, the differences between the Dallas and Super Dallas are just about as monumental with a completely different power stage. Warren certainly did sport a Super Dallas - and probably one of the very first - for quite a while. David Grissom told Doug that the SuperD was the one to beat. Until he came up with something “better”, that was his amp choice from PRS. Obviously the signature models followed (DG also loved both HXDA variants and recorded extensively with them, too).

Warren’s biggest secret with his amps is his pedalboard. Farmer always dialed-in the amps to their sweet spot and Warren did the rest with dirt boxes and guitar volume (watched him do that up close). Even when playing provided back line for a small venue (Deluxe Reverb combo), he sounded just like him.

I’ve studied several shows where *I think* he’s playing the SuperD and it sounded glorious. The settings were somewhat visible and even a buddy of mine sent me pics from the stage! If you’re pursuing one of his sounds, the SuperD can get you pretty close. Finding one is a totally different challenge.
Yes, I have been to several Warren's lives in 2019 - 2020, If I remember correctly, he rarely use the SD now. I really want to get a SD but it is kind like 'extinct ' on music gear websides, only few Dallas and Original S are available.

Your making me think I need to kick everyone out of the house, and the two next door, and crank my MDT. I feel it has tons of gain, but you have me wondering about the saturated limit.
I know I’ve said this 100 times, but I really hope I get a chance to play one of those amps some time.

Back