Did something WILD

andy474x

Knows the Drill
...adjusted the pole pieces on my neck humbuckers. I know, crazy, right???

We always tell people to adjust their pole pieces first when they're not liking something about their pickups, and I was reminded this week of how true it is. I love the tone of most of my guitars enough that I don't want to swap their pickups, but sometimes the neck humbuckers can still be to wooly and bassy. I usually automatically adjust all humbucker pole pieces to roughly match the radius of the string arc, might deviate very slightly from that but not much.

A few days ago, I thought, what the heck, why not get weird with them? So I grabbed my Akesson and a screwdriver, and adjusted the G, B, e string pole pieces on the neck humbucker up a healthy dose. Liked it. Did it on my S2 Semi. Liked it. Did it on... everything. Liked it. It just gets the low strings "out of the way" so I can actually play them with some gain, and still have articulation.

Looks weird, sounds good. Adjust with your ears, not your eyes.

I adjust mine as follows: high and low E screwed in all the way, A and B 1/2 turn out, D and G a full turn. Seems to balance things and bring out the mids.

Back