DGT set-up problem. Buzz on lower frets

huffe

I generally do set-ups myself on my PRSi, but I recently bought a 2010 DGT and i'm having some trouble setting it up correctly. Tall frets causing some frustration! It has 11-49 strings installed.

Problem: It's buzzing on the lower frets when i strum a little hard on especially the low E and the A. I have to set the action waaay high for it to clear. But then it's naturally too high in the upper frets.
The previous - and first - owner of the guitar claims that nothing has been done to it (e.g the nut), and I have no reason not to believe him. The nut "tracks" seems just fine.
Truss is set to specs as good is I can read from the prs website; just a little bow. It's like the strings are gaining too much height down the neck, and I think maybe my saddles are a bit high.(?)
Anyone has some hints? I love the guitar otherwise so im considering shipping it quite a distance to get it checked out, but I want to do what i can first. And plus, it a risk to ship it...

Some pics here: http

Ps. I've got no guitar tech in my area and PTC is not an option for me unfortunately. Too far away.
For reference, I use John Ingrams old videos on youtube for instructions on setups.

Appreciate any help. :beer:

Last edited:
I generally do set-ups myself on my PRSi, but I recently bought a 2010 DGT and i'm having some trouble setting it up correctly. Tall frets causing some frustration! It has 11-49 strings installed.

Problem: It's buzzing on the lower frets when i strum a little hard on especially the low E and the A. I have to set the action waaay high for it to clear. But then it's naturally too high in the upper frets.
The previous - and first - owner of the guitar claims that nothing has been done to it (e.g the nut), and I have no reason not to believe him. The nut "tracks" seems just fine.
Truss is set to specs as good is I can read from the prs website; just a little bow. It's like the strings are gaining too much height down the neck, and I think maybe my saddles are a bit high.(?)
Anyone has some hints? I love the guitar otherwise so im considering shipping it quite a distance to get it checked out, but I want to do what i can first. And plus, it a risk to ship it...

Some pics here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B43UBoxIjO-VQVc4bExXckt2T2c&usp=sharing

Ps. I've got no guitar tech in my area and PTC is not an option for me unfortunately. Too far away.
For reference, I use John Ingrams old videos on youtube for instructions on setups.

Appreciate any help. :beer:

Can you hear the buzzing through the amp? I typically adjust mine down to where they will just start to buzz if I really get on it and for 99% of playing it is completely absent. That 1% of times I can not hear it through the amp. Sitting there and trying to make it buzz is quite different than it buzzing while actually playing.

Thanks for the reply.

I see your point, no point trying to make it buzz. But yeah, i can hear it sometimes. Not bad, but irritating. And I would very much like to have the action a tad lower than today. I like some height, but not too much..

take a straight edge(credit card or something) and sit it across those lower frets and see if it rocks. If it does then you can identify the high frets. If it sits flat them the problem is somewhere else. How high are the strings off the 12th fret?

The credit card check seems fine. Doesnt rock.
Height from top of fret to bottom of string is now aprox 3/32" or 2.4mm. So a bit more than prs spec..

You say your relief is in spec right? When you press down on the third fret is there just a hair of clearance over the first fret? If you pluck the string there should be a ping sound. If that checks out then there is really no reason for it to be buzzing.

Can you post a picture of the rear or the bridge and the front of the bridge head on to the saddles in each direction?

You are in standard tuning as well right? Tuning down will result in less tension and less tension results in a wider vibration of the string which may result it in hitting the fret.

When I press down on the third fret the string is baaaaarely clear of the first fret on the low E and A, the D is touching the fret...no movement if i touch the string while holding down. Interestingly, on my other prs guitar here I can clearly see the string move when I touch it while holding down. "Much" more clearence..

Standard tuning. Pics are in google link in first post.

See DHW...I am pretty much the same way, although I set mine up for a very low action, and if I strike the strings a little hard, there is a definite buzz...that's the trade off I have the way I like it set up...pretty low action, but I am not a violent , pardon the expression , a " kill yer mama" guitarist, either...I would think you'd be able to find your set up, especially with an American PRS...They are really easy to set up...just remember to take your time, and in small increments...sorry to ramble, but I tend to do that. Good luck, and youtube is invaluable for this stuff.

The nut may be a bit low though that shouldn't have a ton of effect on the upper frets unless the compensation in the bridge is causing trouble. Your saddles are kinda all over the place. Here is a couple pics of my custom. I followed the arc of the strings if you can see it. Much like your 1,2,3 saddles. That got rid of most of my buzzing.

Thanks. I too think the nut is a bit low on this guitar.

You're right, my saddles are not aligned good. I will make an attempt tomorrow for some new small adjustments. I will also check relief properly with a ruler.

Will report back.

Try a capo at first fret and see if it still buzz.My tip is to lower strings to 2 mm on all strings and loosen trussrod just a tad.I do my final checks with pod and headphones.Both clean and distorted sounds.I also need my guitar to handle both harder and softer picking or strumming.I start with 0.25 mm relief as PRS recommends but if I'm not happy with sound I do small changes til my tone is happening.

Last edited:
New day, new adjustments!

Looks like this particular neck needed just a tad more bow in it than "normal" to get it right. I used a long straight steel ruler to sight on the 8th fret area, loosened the truss a bit and adjusted the tremolo after. Much better.

I still believe the nut slots are a bit low on the bass side, but it doesnt bother me that much now after final adjustments.

Thanks for all the help, especially to DHW. :)

Last edited:
In general when you get some buzzing on the lower notes (up to the 7th fret) a little more neck bow is needed. After the 7th fret you can correct it by raising the action.
I do not believe it is a low nut.
If you had a low nut only the open string would buzz. When you fret the 1st fret it plays no role how the nut is setup.
If your guitar was buzzing at the 1st, 2nd fret etc, it surely isn't the nut.

Sorry to hear about your problem I had the same problem with my dgt took it to two techs neither could figure out the problem.I have never had a problem with any prsi I got so frustrated that I sold it.I since have purchased 3 prsi with no problems this is no way a slight on prs there the only guitars I play I don't know the answer I hope you get it sorted out the DGT is a fabulous guitar I loved mine but Iam to anal and I frustrate easily.

i'd get the guitar to a plek service...
they measure all the affecting points.

Back