DGT Push/Pull

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Dave G, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Dave G

Dave G New Member

Hi,
    I'm new so I will appologise in advance as no doubt this subject has been discussed before.........

I fail to understand why the coil-split on the the tone pot of the DGT is a push/pull and not a push/push. The push/pull is almost unpullable in the heat of battle. Seriously! It is far from an ideal design of knob to be trying to pull at the best of times and it is not as though it is situatted in a position where a push/push knob could be unintentionally activated.

So, I really would appreciate knowing why a push/pull is being used and not a push/push. If there is no reasoning behind this and a push/push could be installed as an alternative could someone tell me the make/rating of pot I need to buy to make this guitar 100 x more usable than it currently is.

Many thanks

2. Johan Allard

Johan Allard New Member

I have modded all my guitars with push/push pots instead of push/pull. So much easier to operate.

3. Dave G

Dave G New Member

Well Johan...I'm sure that some people will probably delight in telling you that the spring-loaded mechanism in the push/push will eventually fail and the pot will be stuck in the up position, but personally (like you) I think I'd far rather take my chances with that and at least have a function on a guitar that I can use........

4. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Club Vice President

Sounds like you've got some modding work ahead of you, Dave. Keep us posted on what you go with.

5. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Mike Duncan likes this.
  6. Johan Allard

Johan Allard New Member

Absolutely, I may well wear one out in 15 years or so (when was the last time you wore out a pen). It’s probably a good ideal to replace all pots by then anyway. And whenever I play a gig, I always bring a backup guitar anyway.

Go for it, it’s just better!

7. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I am trying some push push pots in one of mine they do stick up a bit more than standard Push Pull
    The problem I am having so far is that the Push Push pots that I have tried do not have as nice a tapper as other pots I have used

8. swede71

swede71 New Member

My 2010 DGTwith the old knobs works great.Very easy to pull up for split sounds.

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I find that the issue is the shape of the knobs. PRS’ pots sound very good, personally I’d rather change a knob than a pot.

Bill SAS 513 likes this.
  10. WeFixFlats

WeFixFlats Respect The Clave

Agreed. I was going to swap the Vintage Speed Knobs for the Lampshades, but decided 1) wasn't worth the $$$, because I'd have to buy an odd number, three(3), 2) The older style kept the original look, 3) Never had a problem with the pull/push function in the first place.

11. gush

gush New Member

I put lampshades on my Mccarty but they were difficult to pull up. They look cool as hell but hard to grip so switched back. Dang

12. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

I'd have to agree with Les, here. There are a couple much easier fixes available...one of the coolest being knobs like on the sig. Dimebag guitars...with holes drilled into the sides...sounds goofy but will absolutely help in pulling knobs up...or wrap a couple rubber bands around the knob...or...you get the idea...

13. Johan Allard

Johan Allard New Member

Hi guys, for the first time I actually replaced a push/push with a push/pull. I've put a Ghost Piezo in my Siggy Ltd and i replaced the tone pot with a push/push pot to switch between magnetic and piezo pickups. Works great. And I had a bit of a scare at rehearsal where I had to push a couple of time for it to stick down in magnetic mode. So before next gig I replaced the pot with a push/pull instead. It really came down to that normally, if a push/push would fail, I would end up having to continue playing with split coils - i.e. not a really big deal. But with the piezo/magnetic selection, it would be a big deal so when it absolutely guaranteed can never fail, I'd go with a push/pull and otherwise I'll use push/push that are so much nicer to operate.

14. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

If you like lampshade knobs, push-push is the only way to go.

bodia likes this.
  15. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

I tell you guys, I've been happily pushin' and pullin' with lampshades for over two years now. From sweaty 90+ degree summer gigs to freezing my butt off in 48 degrees last Saturday. You just have to stop grabbing the barrel of the knob and get under the bottom edge instead.

charliefrench likes this.
  16. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

I've commented on this point too many times here.
    Some people seem to have no problem with it, while others say they "adjust" to it.
    I say BS. Probably 90% of review videos I've watched with any PRS with push/pull lampshades show the reviewer fidgeting/fighting with it... it's a common problem that I'm shocked hasn't been 'corrected' yet.
    Anyway, this has been my solution for years...
    [​IMG]