DGT: Changing the 11's to 9's?

P90s

I hope I don't start a debate on string gauges, but I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has bought a DGT, changed the strings from 11's down to 9's, and if they've noticed much of a change in the tone of the guitar. I got a play at DGT in a guitar shop, had trouble with the 11's but loved the sound of the guitar. I'd hate to buy a DGT, change the strings (I really can't play 11's, sorry!) and then find out that it's no longer the same guitar that impressed me so much in the store. Thanks in advance to anyone who's actually done this and can offer their insights!

I'm pretty close. I went from 11's to 9.5's and had no problems whatsoever. Sound-wise, I'm sure I lost a little bit, but it wasn't even close to being a disqualifying factor. 11's are just too damn heavy and my fingers are so friggin' dainty! :eek:

It's not just the tone. I would be worried that the first string might buzz in the nut; the slot is cut for an 11.

I would think that the guitar would still sound great might be a small change I would buy/install a new PRS nut ( Standard neck should fit ) then adjust neck relief and trem claw and you would be all set

9s are great on PRS guitars in general. Changes the voice a bit for the better, IMO.

Back