DGT Bridge Mod?

Tim Chipman

Hello again! Tim here with the new DGT. I'm having a time with strings going sharp as I play.. I tune back up and then in just a couple of minutes (especially the G) will go sharp. Is there a way to make the bridge fixed. What happens if you take our the springs, can you tighten it down somehow?
This might be a really dumb thread.........I never use the trem bar, and I really don't like the way it draws other open strings down when you bend.

thanks very much! I do love the guitar. Can't imagine David G. would put up with a guitar that constantly went out of tune.

You trem will get better !!! Just Play it aggressively , use the trem the PRS nut is self lubing it get better with use.

Tune up to pitch
Use the bar aggressively , dive bomb a few times etc
Give the bar a small wiggle
If needed tune up to pitch again
Repeat.
Your guitar will start to hold tune better and better.
Enjoy !!

Hmmm......... I do play pretty aggressively, but I'm not a trem bar user. I will try that though. thanks. I guess there must be no way to just tighten down the bridge?

Tim, You can "block" the bridge , and sounds like it will help with the issue, if not, totally fix it.

Just open the back cavity, (rear of the bridge) and put a small, fitted block of wood behind the rear of the bridge and the body of the guitar.
If you fit it snuggly, the trem shouldn't move when its inserted. Fit it with the trem staying as it is when not being played.

Tim, You can "block" the bridge , and sounds like it will help with the issue, if not, totally fix it.

Just open the back cavity, (rear of the bridge) and put a small, fitted block of wood behind the rear of the bridge and the body of the guitar.
If you fit it snuggly, the trem shouldn't move when its inserted. Fit it with the trem staying as it is when not being played.
A thin piece of brass stock is what I use for Trem block. Not trying to rhyme this time.

Does this make it so the trem bar doesn't work? Because that would be ok with me. Like I said, not a trem bar user!

Tim...yes...the Trem would then become useless...like having a Stop Tail bridge.
And I'd hide the bar, so you won't be tempted to insert it, after a few beers, and try to dive bomb, only to snap something off. OUCH!!!
now that's funny! I needed that and the info, thanks!

Check this out...string stretching by Skitchy @ 1:21.
that's great info. My strings however are properly stretched. The issue is with the trem. I don't even have the bar in, and just playing causes strings to jump to the sharp side. Almost no problems going flat. When it goes sharp the intonation is also off. So either the trem was not set up right or there is a problem with the trem itself. I would be happy to just take the trem out of the mix and have a guitar that is solid in the tuning arena.

hello again Bill. I've been emailing back and forth with PRS tech support. They say that THEY could block the trem with a piece of hardwood or if I didn't want to ship it to them I could "deck" the trem by tightening the screws on the claw and then, I think turning those 6 screws on the top of the bridge until it contacts the body. I'm thinking after reading so much information about it, of doing both. It sounds like a piece of hardwood would also improve the tone. Do you have any advice about "decking" the trem? I'm learning a lot with this experience. Number one, even when you spend $4000 on a guitar it might not be the utopia you'd hoped for!!! I do love it though, the pick ups, the tone and feel are great. Hopefully soon this will all be a distant memory.

Last edited:
that's great info. My strings however are properly stretched. The issue is with the trem. I don't even have the bar in, and just playing causes strings to jump to the sharp side. Almost no problems going flat. When it goes sharp the intonation is also off. So either the trem was not set up right or there is a problem with the trem itself. I would be happy to just take the trem out of the mix and have a guitar that is solid in the tuning arena.

Send the DGT to me for proper disposal. ;):D

In all seriousness. Yours is the first I've ever heard of that has tuning stability issues. PRS is famous for their tuning stability. So I really don't know what to tell you, other than try contacting customer service. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction. Good luck...keep us posted.

Yeah...to save a couple bucks ($$$$$$$!!!!), I would just fit a piece of nice wood (rosewood/maple/etc...) between the block of the bridge and rear of the cavity...I'd make sure it fit nice and snug, without moving the bridge in either direction.
I personally would not deck the claw, or more importantly, screw down the 6 bridge screws on top...that is not a good idea, in my opinion.
Of course, there's always exceptions...Boscoe France did just that on his old green CE-22 and loves it.

Try the wood block in the cavity first...This should fix the problem, completely, I hope.
Enjoy your weekend!!!

Yeah...to save a couple bucks ($$$$$$$!!!!), I would just fit a piece of nice wood (rosewood/maple/etc...) between the block of the bridge and rear of the cavity...I'd make sure it fit nice and snug, without moving the bridge in either direction.
I personally would not deck the claw, or more importantly, screw down the 6 bridge screws on top...that is not a good idea, in my opinion.
Of course, there's always exceptions...Boscoe France did just that on his old green CE-22 and loves it.

Try the wood block in the cavity first...This should fix the problem, completely, I hope.
Enjoy your weekend!!!
thanks Bill, tech support sent me pretty good instructions on how to do it. They don't mention the block of wood in any other context than me sending it to them. I might do both! I'll let you know how it goes!

Send the DGT to me for proper disposal. ;):D

In all seriousness. Yours is the first I've ever heard of that has tuning stability issues. PRS is famous for their tuning stability. So I really don't know what to tell you, other than try contacting customer service. They should be able to at least point you in the right direction. Good luck...keep us posted.
yes I know you're right. They are known for that and other things....... however according to my searches it seems to be pretty common with this floating bridge. You can tune this (w/ strobe tuner) and not even play, and two seconds later it's all wonky! One video from PRS that I watched said that if something goes sharp instead of reaching for the tuning peg just give the trem a couple of tweaks!!!! Really...........I don't think you should have to do that. Like I've said before it's a $4000 guitar!

yes I know you're right. They are known for that and other things....... however according to my searches it seems to be pretty common with this floating bridge. You can tune this (w/ strobe tuner) and not even play, and two seconds later it's all wonky! One video from PRS that I watched said that if something goes sharp instead of reaching for the tuning peg just give the trem a couple of tweaks!!!! Really...........I don't think you should have to do that. Like I've said before it's a $4000 guitar!

That little yank to pull things back in tune isn't something special for PRS trems - it applies to a lot of them. Sounds to me like maybe things aren't quite in balance w/the trem - like maybe the claw screws need to be backed out just a hair because they're pulling on the strings a little more than they should. And I'm talking a very fine adjustment - just enough to shift a little, but not enough to really affect how the bridge sits. Or I could be totally off base. My trems take a little tuning work when I start playing, but once everything is warmed up, they're very stable.

That little yank to pull things back in tune isn't something special for PRS trems - it applies to a lot of them. Sounds to me like maybe things aren't quite in balance w/the trem - like maybe the claw screws need to be backed out just a hair because they're pulling on the strings a little more than they should. And I'm talking a very fine adjustment - just enough to shift a little, but not enough to really affect how the bridge sits. Or I could be totally off base. My trems take a little tuning work when I start playing, but once everything is warmed up, they're very stable.
I don't think you're off base at all. I've actually thought about that I've been loath to make any changes. Now I'm seriously thinking I'll either put in the block of wood, or deck the bridge or both! I don't use the trem anyway.

Back