DGMDT 2-Channel Amp... Ultimate Club Gig Rig?

I'd love to rock out on this rig. The PRS amps atop the 2x12's are just so great looking. Do want.

I'd love to rock out on this rig. The PRS amps atop the 2x12's are just so great looking. Do want.

Wait til you get used to playing one. You will discover that, as good as they look, it ain't at all about looks.

;)

Wait til you get used to playing one. You will discover that, as good as they look, it ain't at all about looks.

;)

Let's see what NAMM has in store and I will make a trip to play a bunch of PRS amps with the intent of a purchase.

Meh, these ugly things??!! :biggrin:

rig10-2013.jpg

Hey Bob,

I'm not a loop "aficionado", but the loop in the Unleash sounds great to me. In general, the Unleash at unity gain or more is pretty darn transparent to my ears, it it's a really nice way to get a loop into something like the HX/DA. I haven't tried it with the HX/DA specifically, but I've used it live on several occasions to add a loop to the MDT, and it worked out great.

Sort of unrelated, but I find it strange that the Unleash is transparent as a re-amper (or when used at unity as a loop option) but it's less so as an attenuator. I'm no expert, but I think that the way that it works is that it attenuates to line level, which gets fed into the Class D amp to amp it up to whatever volume you want. So, when you set it to unity gain, end to end, you're actually attenuating and reamping. It doesn't seem that way in real life though, so maybe I'm all wet in my understanding.

In any case, my experience is that it is a great way to add a loop to something like the HX/DA.

My $.02...

You are spot-on correct, the time-based/modulation FX are cleaner thru a loop, period. My discovery was finding the right delay/echo that didn't freak out when I sent the overdriven signal thru it. The amp input had to get a comparable signal to that without the delay (more than just parity gain, tbh). Two made the cut for me, the Strymon El Capistan and the MXR Carbon Copy. Am I sacrificing some fidelity by keeping it up front? Yes, but I have complete guitar volume dynamics control. And since the SuperD doesn't have a loop, stock, I don't have much choice.

If you don't have a CC anymore, I can send you mind to check out.

I think that I pointed it out somewhere, but wanted to mention it again in this context given the topic of the original thread... You definitely CAN'T run an unleash before a head switcher like the radial. A loud bang, smoke and a very bad smell will happen (from the Unleash...don't ask me how I know...) Not sure what would happen if you ran it between the radial and the cab....but I'm not gonna try it...

The 4 x 10's look cool too.

photo-23.JPG

Just sayin'. ;)

They are lighter than the 2 x 12's too, at only 39 pounds, my back thanks me on gig nights!

(Old pic, that is a great Solana Burst Willcutt's DC Ted that Alan and I shared, I no longer have it anymore. That amp and cab are still my main gigging rig up in Ottawa, Ontario.)

I love the look of that rig. I'd dig a 410.

Maybe that's what's next for me...

It's weird, I love it for the live rig. It really cuts through the mix for me in my band. I had another 4x10 at home for a while, and I didn't like it relative to the 4x12's I had, so I sold that one at home.

But with the band, it sounds great! (And is REALLY easy to lug around.) I was talking to PRSh about it last year, he did think the 4x10 was a good match for the 2 Channel H in a band setting.

I talked to Doug Sewell about it too last year, with Eric at Willcutt's, and then the two of them started talking another language I did not understand, about speakers and cabs... ;)

Okay, found another pic with my current gigging guitar.

Dealmakers%2BJun%2B13%2B2013%2B01.jpg

Doesn't match as well, but sounds AWESOME together! ;)

It's weird, I love it for the live rig. It really cuts through the mix for me in my band. I had another 4x10 at home for a while, and I didn't like it relative to the 4x12's I had, so I sold that one at home.

Generally a 410 is going to have less extreme low end, the idea being that with a band you don't want to have to dial out a bunch of low end on the guitar in order to hear the bass and kick drum cut through the mix.

The same happens with recording. I love the sound of a cab with a ton of low end solo, but put it in a band context and you do have to take some of that out, depending on the genre (in the right setting, very hard rock and metal, it actually works with the bass, and then the mixer will usually add high end to the bass and kick to make them able to escape the mud at the bottom).

Generally a 410 is going to have less extreme low end, the idea being that with a band you don't want to have to dial out a bunch of low end on the guitar in order to hear the bass and kick drum cut through the mix.

The same happens with recording. I love the sound of a cab with a ton of low end solo, but put it in a band context and you do have to take some of that out, depending on the genre (in the right setting, very hard rock and metal, it actually works with the bass, and then the mixer will usually add high end to the bass and kick to make them able to escape the mud at the bottom).

Interesting. Makes sense to me, since I love it with the band, and didn't love it at home!

Thanks, Les!

Back