Decisions, Decisions...

Monahan

Context:
About a week ago I purchased a CE24 and love it! More about that in another post.
Then over the weekend I came into a little extra money, and decided to do something very special; buy my "dream" guitar. For me, that's a core Custom 24-- I've wanted one since the late 1980's.

So, now's the time! One catch though-- My wife & I are retired, and have to keep a close eye on the budget. That means whichever I pick will be my last-and-forever guitar. Married guys-- I think you'll understand ;)

However, I'm torn between the Custom 24-08, and the DGT.

Since the CE24 specs are very close to the Custom, I'm thinking the DGT would be similar enough to the Custom, but different enough from the CE. So...

Question:
1) Is there enough difference between the CE24 and Custom 24 to justify owning both?

I'm not looking to either guitar to sound exactly like a Fender or Gibson, so that's not a factor.

Lastly, I'm sure I'll be happy with either-- just looking for a little more insight before committing for life (LOL!).

Thanks all!

~M

I’ve played the CE extensively and I own a custom 24 piezo as well as a custom 24 floyd. The floyd is more hard rock/metal leaning and the piezo obviously has the acoustic dimension. The core custom I’ve played as well and it’s different enough from a ce for sure. The ce maple neck affects the tone and so do the pickups. I’d say the piezo or Floyd would offer more differentiation though.

What year is the CE? That would influence my pick. Honestly though I'd seriously consider the DGT too.. but there's always the dream guitar factor.

Outside scenario. If you get the Cu24 and feel there's not enough difference between your CE. You could always move the CE for a DGT. If you go used that'll help offset any cash loss

What type of music are you playing?
Mostly classic rock, blues, some clean jazzy stuff...

I would definitely get the 594
Split the difference and buy a Santana.

LOL! No, my hands are just too big/old for those (playing beyond the 12th fret gets tough). I had a 594 for about two days before returning it.

What I like about the DGT is the neck thickness and larger frets...
What I don't like is the narrower width, and the darker sounding neck pickup...

What I like about the Custom 24-08: the pickups, coil-tapping options, and the fact it's not a "signature" model.
What I'm not crazy about, is the thinner neck depth.

As I'm writing this, I'm leaning further toward the Custom...

Last edited:
What year is the CE? That would influence my pick. Honestly though I'd seriously consider the DGT too.. but there's always the dream guitar factor.

Outside scenario. If you get the Cu24 and feel there's not enough difference between your CE. You could always move the CE for a DGT. If you go used that'll help offset any cash loss
The CE is a new one (Dec '22).

Another thought I've been kicking around is the possibility of satisfying the DGT itch by waiting a few years for a used SE ;)

The CE is a new one (Dec '22).

Another thought I've been kicking around is the possibility of satisfying the DGT itch by waiting a few years for a used SE ;)
The core Cu24 would be different enough from the CE bolt on series. I'd go that route since it's your dream guitar. But really can't go wrong with the DGT either. Both killer.

You can find used Se DGT already. Watch Daves in Wisconsin for excellent deals and service. Forget those price gougers on reverb.

Dreams Are Dreams For A Reason...Make Yours Come True. I Would Get The Custom 24 And Never Look Back. If The CE Is Too Similar, I Would Eventually Move It For Whatever It Is That You Find That Really Speaks To Your Heart. Make Sure With Those Guitar Proceeds You Get Your Wife Some Flowers And Write Her A Nice Note Telling Her How Much You Love, Value And Appreciate Her. :)

Mostly classic rock, blues, some clean jazzy stuff...

LOL! No, my hands are just too big/old for those (playing beyond the 12th fret gets tough). I had a 594 for about two days before returning it.

What I like about the DGT is the neck thickness and larger frets...
What I don't like is the narrower width, and the darker sounding neck pickup...

What I like about the Custom 24-08: the pickups, coil-tapping options, and the fact it's not a "signature" model.
What I'm not crazy about, is the thinner neck depth.

As I'm writing this, I'm leaning further toward the Custom...
I'm rather fond of the 408's and 509's!
I think Willcutt has a new old stock 408 at a killer price. It's charcoal and beautiful!

Now this is just my opinion but I have an 89 CE,2016 CE semi hollow, and custom 24. I would shoot for the DGT. The '16 CE and custom 24 sound alike to me. Not enough difference in my opinion. Now the '89 CE and custom 24 are 2 very different instruments. To be honest if I were still gigging the 89 CE would be my main instrument and th custom 24 as backup. The 89 ce is more like my 513 than a custom. Never played a DGT but I think it's different enough from the CE and probably more towards your style of playing

Scratch that itch… get the Custom 24! You can drive yourself nuts chasing all the PRSi that folks rave about, because they’re all worthy guitars. But if you’ve had your eye on a Custom 24 for all or part of four decades, you ought to make that happen while you can. You only get so many tomorrows.

I agree with getting the 24 but even that can be tricky.
I have 3 and they’re all different but the same.
Unfortunately the prettiest one (grey fade library top) is my least favourite because the neck is so thin.

I’ll take ‘Things to complain about that make me sound like an a$$hole’,
for 300 Alex.

00ACEB85-48B7-44EC-9F0F-A657337D4CFB.jpg

You should really consider a 35th anniversary if you’re wanting a Custom 24. They’re awesome!

Thanks all!

I'm going to sleep on it another day before deciding... It may come down to the neck shape, as thin necks have never been very comfortable... but that comes and goes. I've often set aside a thin-necked guitar, then a few months later picked it up and fell in love again LOL!

Also, I've found a few 'leftover' 24-08s that have the "Pattern" neck, but the control layout is a little odd... and I'm not fond of blade switches.

There are always compromises in life. I'll just have to pick one and be done. My wife wants me to get the DGT; just a matter of pulling the trigger.

Thanks again for the help!

~M

Back