Dear John,

Really? I thought he wasn't a big PRS fan... and was a huge Fender fan. But it would super cool if he did, great player!

I saw a picture of a few years back of him using a Hollow Body. He stated on his twitter he'll still use Fender he's just not a "Fender Artist" and he is on the PRS Artist page now...

He's always spread the love around, but I can't imagine him without a Strat. Somehow I don't see him committing too deeply to anything.

A little spruce action is always good, though:

5880653458_2b3ca71c03_z.jpg

This would be the perfect opportunity for PRS to finally set their sites fully on Fender and put out a true single coil Strat killer with PRS QC and playability. I would stand in line for one.

This would be the perfect opportunity for PRS to finally set their sites fully on Fender and put out a true single coil Strat killer with PRS QC and playability. I would stand in line for one.

PRS just went this route and failed once. PRS needs to do what they do best....2H guitars. Let Fender have the single coil crowd. They do it best and they do it cheapest. You can't beat that combo.

Agreed. If Fender players didn't latch on to the DC3 or 305, they will probably never leave their camp filled with partcasters with a famous name on the headstock.

PRS just went this route and failed once. PRS needs to do what they do best....2H guitars. Let Fender have the single coil crowd. They do it best and they do it cheapest. You can't beat that combo.

IMO they didn't fail, their SC guitars are fantastic, they just didn't sell well because the market wasn't there for whatever reason. Stick John Mayer's name on a new SC model and it might sell well. The first S2 sig could be an option too!

All my dreams have merged into one single union. I could not be more happy about this. Plus John is in the stage of the game where he plays several brands for several reasons - PRS is one of the only companies out there that allow their artists to do so.

I respectfully disagree. The single coils they have put out were proprietary and could not be swapped out and precluded some, me included, from buying into them. If they did something similar to a Brent Mason body, which seems to have rounded edges and is more traditional S shaped but still is totally PRS with the bottom horn, with a three single coil setup .......forget about it, it would be slammin.

They would be up against the like of Suhr, which can out do Fender at Fender. It needs more than just a Strat with single coil.

I won't say they failed, but they've gone that route a few times and gave up. I think of Gibson as their direct competition, and PRS are great at outdoing them.

It's just darn hard to get a Fender guy to pick up something else, especially considering PRS guitars are often seen as too fancy for that set.

Competition is fierce as well. There are dozens of good boutique F style guitar makers. And with a little skill, you can just make your own with fully customized specs for a lot less.

Just put regular singles in the SAS NF body and call it a day, or start bolting the necks onto the 305 and call it a day, or bring back the CE with singles and call it a day.... and that day would henceforth become known as: Bangin'! Day.

So just to clear up any confusion - JM has been on the PRS artist page for a little bit according to PRS. He has had some guitars built in the past, which I assume are used in the studio for flavor. Dont get too excited but his ending the relationship with Fender is very real.

Alright, I'll say it. I don't think of this as a good thing, I also don't see it as a bad thing. There are a lot of people from a lot of genre's switching to PRS and him going from fender to PRS is just another in the long line of people doing that. I would like to see PRS set they're eyes on Fender and wholeheartedly going after that market. All the previous attempts seem to he halfhearted and just listening to people who say we want a PRS with 3 single coils. That being said I don't think it's right to compare PRS to either Fender or Gibson, PRS is PRS. They do what they do and do it very well, but it's not what Fender people want. They want a certain body style with a certain pickup setup. I think the Brent Mason really gets close to it, especially for the strat. I think they have a little further to go for the Tele sound, which I think could also be done with just two 408s.

And this sums up how I feel about John Mayer...

thatsenoughjohnmayer.jpg

As cool as it would be to see PRS a competition to both big G and F, I'd rather see them where they are and be their own thing. Seriously, look at all of the people who both of those companies give signature instruments to who weren't ever known for using their instruments. I'd hate to see PRS start or, excuse me continue to do that in the name of drawing in a new crowd of players. PRS had done a great job of creating its own niche slowly and should stick with the if it ain't broke approach. Just two pennies from a student/musician/proud PRS player

I completely agree with everyone who states that PRS should remain its own "man". I don't think either Fender or Gibson put in the research of the absolute best tone woods for instruments. I don't think either of them has scrutinized every possible detail of every single component that goes into the making of a fine instrument. Which parts ring and transmit sound, etc... . Paul is on a quest for sound and not to copy for copying sake. I say go for the gold and let the chips fall where they may. You can never go wrong by doing the very best you can do. And I still think Fenders look like something that could have come from a bubble gum machine, sorry but that's my opinion. Gibson is still trying to find vision.

F and G players are like two people who are drinking Miller Lite and Bud Light and debating which one tastes better. They're both piss poor excuses for beer and macro-made swill that lots of people buy for no reason other than that's what they've been conditioned to like through endless advertising and because that's what has been consumed traditionally since Prohibition. PRS is the locally craft-brewed beer and more and more people are starting to understand that it's the way beer is SUPPOSED to taste, unless you live in Utah. Even my Dad who's 69 is coming around to some of the craft brews, and I couldn't be more proud, because he drank Old Milwaukee when I was a kid. :) If there's hope for my Dad's tastebuds, there's hope for all the clueless F and G players.

Back