Dead pickup in SAS SE - need advice

henryjurstin13

Just scored a good deal on a SAS SE, but it arrived with a dead bridge pickup. Seller is 100% willing to help remedy this situation & offered a couple he has on hand - “A Seymour Duncan SH-1 and/or a PRS Dragon II.” Would either of these be a good fit?

What would y’all recommend to be a good replacement (that splits well) for the bridge position of this SAS?
kbRkSFK.jpeg

I'd go with the SD 59 (sh1) over the D2. The D2 is kinda hot and hairy. It's one of those love and hate pickups for many. I like it myself, but it wouldn't be an everyday pickup for me. I tried many differnet pickups in my core SAS. The PAF variety always sounded better with the SAS and maple combo than hot or modern.

If you decide the SD 59 isn't for you. It'll probably be easier to move to a wider audience.

Ask him if he has a 5708. That's a match in heaven for a SAS. The 5815LT is great too, especially the neck, absolutely fantastic. I settled on a 5708 in the bridge and LT in the neck that worked best.

Open the control cavity and spray contact cleaner/ deoxit on the pickup selector contacts. I have had that happen a few times and it always fixed it.
Congrats on the new guitar! It looks awesome

Last edited:
Agreed, probably an easy fix besides a pup swap, but I'd still want to swap the stock pickups if it was me. And if the seller is offering..

I'd guess it's the toggle and wouldn't even need to open it up. A few sprays and wiggles and you may be in business. Next would be check the solders.

Last edited:
I don’t solder. I should, but I’ve just never done it. Local tech at the local shop called today & confirmed the pickup was dead. The real problem here, it’s not the first SE they’ve seen lately with a dead pickup. That’s why I’m looking for a decent/comparable replacement.

I agree, that fixing the existing pup is a probable solution. If not the SD59 is my choice between the two.

Back