DAW Laptop+Powered Speakers

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
So here's the thing.

I'm trying to use the 'headphone' output(using patch cables) of my laptop to 'drive' my pair of JBL 3 Series powered speakers(they only have 1/4 line level and xlr input connectors). Of course, the volume is way too low and I know I have an 'impedance' mismatch, because the output volume into a set of headphones is great.

What I don't want to do is to 'go backwards', play and mix everything through headphones(again) and retire the powered speakers(into the closet). And since we're also on a budget I can't just throw benjamin's at it either and create a rack full of stuff since I work on an IKEA table.

We're going to start using the copy of Ableton Light we got for free when I recently bought the Focusrite Scarlette Solo unit.

There's probably a simple solution, but I haven't found it yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was their solution?

Thanks in advance

You should be able to hook them up directly to the focusrite and monitor the playback that way.

You guys are gonna need some 1/4" to RCA adapters or cables to plug into the back of the solo.

So after watching the last part of 'Vinyl' and having some pizza, we thought we'd have another crack at the issue.

Found my problem.

So we're using a y-cable with a mini jack into the headphone output of the laptop. Since the y-cable(I had in the 'spare parts box') has a pair of stereo mini plugs, we used a pair of "mini to 1/4" adapters", then the standard speaker cables to each of the powered speakers. The problem was those adapters. We reseated the speaker cables, but not all the way in, just to the 'first detent'. And there you go. Full volume now. Hold down the volume control on the front panel of the laptop and use the virtual volume control in WMP.

geez...

(now if I can just figure out how ableton, ez drummer and all the plug-ins work...but that's for another day)

So you guys are still using the 1/8" headphone jack? I would seriously recommend using the rear RCA connectors.

best%20one_zps5dgokf1j.jpg
best%20one_zps5dgokf1j.jpg
[/URL][/img]

You will get much more accurate audio out of the Focusrite's outputs. I don't understand why you're not using them.

Headphone amplifiers (that's what is in your laptop's headphone output jack) are notoriously poor for their audio quality.

The Focusrite's output jacks are designed to work with powered monitors, and you'll have a better signal, with less noise.

You can use a good headphone amp / DAC combo such as Benchmark DAC2.
It sounds incredible...

Teac UD 501 is great as well...

I 100% agree with those saying to use the Focusrite as the sound card and connection to the monitors. I use my Zoom R16 in that way as well.
It will be orders of magnitude better than the laptop headphone jack.

I would agree that using the red/white rca output jacks on the Scarlette Solo would be ideal. However, since I just record at home as a hobby, I found this solution was the quickest way to hook it up with the least expense using the components I have at hand. And to my old ears, it's good and loud enough to fill the room. If I need to listen closely to all my mistakes, I'll use the headphone output on the Solo.But we do appreciate the feedback~!

Last edited:
Back