Dallas Amplifier Troubles

bbryant13

I just became a proud owner of the PRS Dallas 50 Watt head and 2X12 combo. I have only had it a few weeks and my question is this- What are some things to listen for to tell if I've blown a speaker or things to do to look for it. The bass/low end tone that I'm getting now is very muddy and not as responsive as I believe it should be. I am currently connecting the head to the cabinet thru the 8 ohm connection on the back of the head.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

BB

BB, it'd be great to know what speakers and cab you're using, as that could be the issue. Also take a pic of how you've got the amp set up. How you work the controls can make a huge difference.

Finally, a muddy low end can simply be caused by power tubes that need to be replaced. What tubes are in there? It might be that simple.

Combo, right? Exactly how do you have the controls adjusted? Post up your settings and let's check 'em out. That amp is capable of some serious thump and too high of a bass setting will get muddy quick.

I have a Dallas 2x12 as well.....mine is 100 watts though. I replaced all the tubes in it this past winter, and completely took care of the same issues that you are experiencing. Replace the tubes and see if it tightens right back up for you like mine did.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind if a few other tweaks don't work out. I'm so new to having the amp that it could be I'm not used to how muddy and unresponsive it gets on a higher bass setting. I do have an open back cabinet so I understand it won't be quite the snap back bass response you get with a closed cabinet but it sounds like you understood what I was describing... Right now I'm running the Bass setting at between 9-10:00. Seems like it could handle a little more bass that that before sounding like a speaker is blown?

Thanks,
BB

Back