Customer Service At Certain Media Companies (NOT PRS)

You don't have to cancel first... We had Comcast and FIOS for about two weeks until I was satisfied, then it was adios Comcast. Had some problems w/them - had a less than optimal signal, so a guy put a filter on the line to clean it up. A few months later, bad signal, another guy took the filter off. The best was right after they bought our previous cable company. I had internet through them, but not TV. I came home from lunch on a work at home day to find I had no internet. Tried a bunch of different things, no luck. Called Comcast, they tried a bunch of diagnostics, no luck, set up a service call for (surprisingly) the next day. Went outside, and there was a filter on my line. I took it apart, and it was empty - not a filter, just a connector to interrupt the service. I connected it back up, internet was flying. Called Comcast back, asked the woman if there was an issue w/my account. She assured me there wasn't, so I told her what I found, what I did, and that everything was working. She assured me the account was good, and I could leave it connected like that until the service guy came out. He showed up the next morning and I met him outside and said, "I think I know what's going on." He shook his head and laughed, and said, "You have no idea how many of these things I'm taking off everyday." Turns out one of the first things Comcast was doing was sending crews out to every house, checking to see if they had a cable TV account, and if they had a signal and no cable TV account, they cut off the feed. Never mind that I had an internet account.
I'll see them in hell, no doubt. :eek:

I'll consider myself lucky. I've been a Comcast user since 1991. I've had them out maybe three times in more than 30 years. Sure, having to shlep a box to a store to get a replacement/newer unit blows. It wasn't so bad 10 years ago when there was a store 1.5 miles away. Now the closest store is like 20 miles. I had my (their) modem get "outdated" and stopped working. They wanted me to go to a store to get a new one. Pass. I went to Best Buy and bought my own. No more monthly "rental" fee for that. I also use my own router. I don't want to be a hotspot for them.

The worst we had it was in 2019 when our internet just became hit and miss. It would drop out, long load times, etc. etc. Guy comes out, looks at our boxes (I don't recall their being an TV issues) and says, "I'll get you all the good stuff." Upgraded the boxes to the latest and greatest. Ran all new cabling from the master TV box out the wall to the box, and then to the "hub" out behind the house. Three days later the guys show up to bury the line outside. Been in business ever since. I will say that when remote learning started in 2020 things got a little dicey on the internet side, and the TV signal locking up. Their crews were out for weeks on end upgrading stuff in the neighborhood. Not in the houses, but at their junction boxes, etc.

My only real gripe would be getting gouged from a pricing standpoint. That's not just Comcast. My buddy b!tches non-stop about Direct TV. All the new member rates they give out, and won't give him a price break on anything.

One thing I LOATHE, is when the voice activated systems are asking you for information, and any and all barely audible background noise causes her abruptly stop talking, and say "SORRY, I didn't get that. To listen to our options again you can say 'repeat' or press 1".

Or this gem. I press 0 five times after 10 minutes of getting nowhere and she says "In order for our representatives to properly assist you, please choose from one of these options" ugh

Back