Custom 24 SE / Floyd pickups

Hollywood

Hey all, I just made my first venture into PRS land. I have been a Gibson/Fender guy for 35 years.

Anyway .... my new SE has the 85/15 pickups and I find them to be VERY muddy. My main Strat is loaded with Hot Rails and my Les Paul has 57+/57 setup. My amp is a Marshall JVM 410 with 4/12s loaded with Vintage 30s.

Any ideas on how to un-mud this axe? It’s beautiful in every way...... except the tone. Hi-gain tones with bridge pickup is just ok. Neck pickup is ok when tapped. I find the tone pot useless.

Perhaps switching out the pots and caps with something else before cutting it for some Duncan’s?

Help!!!!!

Start with adjusting pickup height. Also, different guitars require diff amp settings.

Muddy? Wow, that's not something I've heard before (I'm not saying I doubt your veracity, I'm just saying there might be something wrong -- did you buy it new? Perhaps if you're familiar with electronics take a look at it to see if anything is visibly wrong, otherwise it's still under warranty). I presume turning the tone-pot down makes them even muddier, neh? Yes, I'd start with pickup height. Also, new strings? Something relatively inexpensive and painless to try before getting into soldering. Something you know is bright, like perhaps Ernie Ball Stainless Steel, or D'Addario XL Pro Steels? I'm still kicking myself for returning a beautiful Dirty Paul's Guitar because it sounded muddy, when all it probably needed was new strings (it had been sitting for years).

Muddy? Wow, that's not something I've heard before (I'm not saying I doubt your veracity, I'm just saying there might be something wrong -- did you buy it new? Perhaps if you're familiar with electronics take a look at it to see if anything is visibly wrong, otherwise it's still under warranty). I presume turning the tone-pot down makes them even muddier, neh? Yes, I'd start with pickup height. Also, new strings? Something relatively inexpensive and painless to try before getting into soldering. Something you know is bright, like perhaps Ernie Ball Stainless Steel, or D'Addario XL Pro Steels? I'm still kicking myself for returning a beautiful Dirty Paul's Guitar because it sounded muddy, when all it probably needed was new strings (it had been sitting for years).

I put new set of D'addario XL's on it. I bought it new from Guitar Center. The setup is as it was when I got it. It plays great and unplugged I cannot believe how loud it is. You can feel the guitar resonating. I tried in the store into a Marshall JVM 205 - sounded great. Took it home, still sounds great .. until I get my other axes out. Nothing that sounds that good unplugged should sound so mediocre plugged in.

Very odd. I just got a regular SE Cu24, but it's the same pickups. I'm used to changing pickups in SEs, but I was very impressed with the 85/15 S pickups in this one. They're sticking around for sure.

I'd take some time to adjust pickup, and pole piece, height. You'll be surprised how drastic a change a 1/4 turn can make.

I'd take it back to Guitar Center and have them open up the electronics and make sure a cockroach didn't electrocute itself ("I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!") across a capacitor or something.

For the amount of money I have in the guitar I can’t complain. I got it on sale and traded on old line 6 combo - I walked out the door for $450.

I played with the pickups last nite - the tone I’m searching for isn’t there. The 85/15s pickups seem to be lower output and the pots are honestly junk. I plan to take it to GC and ***** a little and see what happens. I’m thinking replace the pots and tone cap with some better stuff. If that doesn’t get it then load it up with Duncan Distortions or DiMarzio Supers.

I bought this axe to be my metal machine - perhaps the electronics are more suited to lighter tones?

Custom 24s get used for metal all the time. My SE Cu24 gets used for a lot of hard rock/borderline metal tones. You may just want to switch the pickups to something more metal oriented.

I finally switched out all the electronics to Bourne pots, orange drop caps, CTS switch and switchcraft jack. The pickups are Duncan Custom in bridge and Jazz in neck.

The guitar flat out RIPS now. I’m thinking of getting another one and set up same way but different tuning.

I finally switched out all the electronics to Bourne pots, orange drop caps, CTS switch and switchcraft jack. The pickups are Duncan Custom in bridge and Jazz in neck.

Funny, I went with that exact SD pickup combination, for the exact opposite reason in my new CU22 SE - I found the stock 85/15S pups too bright and "edgey" when overdriven. Regardless, the SD Custom Custom/Jazz is a killer combo! Enjoy your SE.

Back