Custom 24 scoop not deep enough

I only play 22 fret guitars but using only index and middle finger from 19th fret and up works for me.Compared to a strat my DGT feels very comfortable in the 19th-22nd fret area.The best guitar though for screaming 22nd fret bends is my Flying v.

It may have been a pinch harmonic, it may have been a bit of feedback, but I don't think it was played at the 24th fret.

Just checked a few videos. Don Felder shows the lick starting at about 7:45 in this one.

Watching a couple live clips, he played it in the same spot - it definitely lacked the higher pitch I hear on the studio version. Steuart Smith in another clip played it in the same position but hammered on to a note way up in the 20s - it cuts away before you see the actual hammer. And I've seen Smith play it w/a pinch harmonic. It'd be a heck of a jump to get up to 24 in the lick the way Felder shows it and do it smoothly. Not impossible, but impressive.
It sounds so strange to me in a different key.

You take one of these:

belt-sander.jpg

And pretty soon your scoop problem has been... Zapp(a)ed.

d911b3f558874c9c38599c735e175538.jpg

:):):):):):)

It may have been a pinch harmonic, it may have been a bit of feedback, but I don't think it was played at the 24th fret.

Just checked a few videos. Don Felder shows the lick starting at about 7:45 in this one.

Watching a couple live clips, he played it in the same spot - it definitely lacked the higher pitch I hear on the studio version. Steuart Smith in another clip played it in the same position but hammered on to a note way up in the 20s - it cuts away before you see the actual hammer. And I've seen Smith play it w/a pinch harmonic. It'd be a heck of a jump to get up to 24 in the lick the way Felder shows it and do it smoothly. Not impossible, but impressive.
Very interesting! He bends it on the E, whereas I bend on the B and then fret 24 is right there for the high note.

I'm also playing a lot of things totally wrong lol.

Last edited:
You take one of these:

belt-sander.jpg

And pretty soon your scoop problem has been... Zapp(a)ed.

d911b3f558874c9c38599c735e175538.jpg

:):):):):):)

Shave the top horn and you’ve got yourself an evil Bouzouki.

Very interesting! He bends it on the E, whereas I bend on the B and then fret 24 is right there for the high now.

You’re playing things your way, there is no wrong.

Sounds like you need a Dana Scoop...

vintage-1994-alvarez-dana-scoop-ae650trw-electric-guitar-white-01.jpg
Oof! The worst music store (closest to my mom’s house) where I took lessons carried these. I got to play a couple and they were… bizarre.

The funny thing was, these, Gibson MIII’s, and a Kramer bozuki/whatever Gorky Park model were their nicest guitars for sale. It was like “don’t touch them!” No problemo.

Very interesting! He bends it on the E, whereas I bend on the B and then fret 24 is right there for the high note.

Keep in mind that in the 1st minute of that video, he explains how the original recording is in B minor key (with Don Henley singing); but nowadays when he plays it (with himself singing) he plays it in A minor. So, I wonder if that's messing with your understanding of what he's showing..?

Keep in mind that in the 1st minute of that video, he explains how the original recording is in B minor key (with Don Henley singing); but nowadays when he plays it (with himself singing) he plays it in A minor. So, I wonder if that's messing with your understanding of what he's showing..?
After I left that comment I watched the start of the video and realized lol. Nonetheless, there's a very high note in the second chorus in the original recording that he's not playing in that demo. By ear, it sounds like a 2 semitone bend on fret 24 of the high E.

Oof! The worst music store (closest to my mom’s house) where I took lessons carried these. I got to play a couple and they were… bizarre.

The funny thing was, these, Gibson MIII’s, and a Kramer bozuki/whatever Gorky Park model were their nicest guitars for sale. It was like “don’t touch them!” No problemo.
Fairview, on 75th? I think that was the name of the place I’m thinking about.

Fairview, on 75th? I think that was the name of the place I’m thinking about.
That was “Fairview Music”, they were a Heritage dealer for a long time.

This one was “Beautiful Music” on Woodward and 63rd. It had a huge sheet music selection and a smaller room for Alvarez guitars and Crate amps, which is undoubtedly how they got the name Beautiful.

That was “Fairview Music”, they were a Heritage dealer for a long time.

This one was “Beautiful Music” on Woodward and 63rd. It had a huge sheet music selection and a smaller room for Alvarez guitars and Crate amps, which is undoubtedly how they got the name Beautiful.
Did that place face Woodward? I seem to recall stopping in their once or twice when we had an apartment in Darien.

Back