Curious about Custom 22 (vs McCarty)

Smoo

I got a McCarty Korina back in November and I don't think I've really bonded with it like I want. I'm not super into the sound (might be the wood) and I don't like the lack of adjustability at the bridge for intonation.

Anyway, I saw a guy on Kijiji selling a 03 CU 22. It's got the wide/fat neck, which I really liked about the McCarty. I'm curious about the rotary switch and the stability of the trem, neither of which I have ever used. Also, I'm a Jazz musician and I want to know what the Dragon IIs are like, are they some real rock and/or roll pickups?

And if I did trade my McCarty, would this be a loss for me, value wise?
$_27.JPG
$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

First off the Mccarty pups are way more suited for jazz than dragon IIs.
I've never had an issue with the PRS stoptail intonation, it's designed almost perfectly, but you can also buy an adjustable stoptail if that's a big issue for you.
Korina & birds vs black & moons?............value is subjective.
Rotary knobs I miss, simple & easy, if you play jazz then the 1st 2 positions are where you'll end up most of the time.
Trems are cool but I block mine so there's no give when I bend notes, like on a stoptail, besides.............................like there's no crying in baseball.......there's no dive-bombing in jazz.:cool:

.....and if jazz is your game, I would be looking at hollow body and semi hollow options instead.

I do love my CU22 but I don't think that is a trade I would make unless you got cash on your end, Korina is a bright wood in general if I were you I would first try lowering the pickups a bit.
If you are over 11s ( wound 3rd ) you might need and adjustable tailpiece from PRS or Mann Made, also try some different strings for me DR Titefits really fit my sound

Yeah, I wouldn't do that trade without cash unless you got the McCarty stupidly cheap to begin with. The one bad thing about the stop tail is if you are running thicker strings, and especially a wound G you're going to be out of tune. I've heard a lot of good things about the Mann Made ones and I'm thinking of getting one for my Single cut soon.

I got the McCarty for 1800. I'm not sure If I like the Santana pickup in the neck, so I've been thinking about putting in a Lollar. And I've really been looking at a Mann bridge but since I haven't been sure if I'll keep it I haven't moved on any of these mods.

Also it's got a weird nut that I was told on here was from the older 513 models

Back