CU24 or CE22

What is CU and CE?

Isn't it custom22 and custom24? I don't get it :eek:

The abbreviation CU is used around these parts for Custom. You're right; it is Custom 22, Custom 24 and CE-22 and CE-24.

The original model, which came out in 1988, was called the "Classic Electric" but it was quickly changed to CE because Peavey had an amp with the same name. Nowadays CE doesn't really stand for anything - it's just the CE - but it's still referred to as the Classic Electric on the PRS model history page: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

Last edited:
CEs are my sentimental favorite PRS...if I had the chance to score one with birds for a good price, I would snag it.

Since the CE is a 1996 it's mahogany, not alder, which sounds like it might suit your style of music, and the maple neck as others have said will give it some punch.

Nice pair of guitars, would be hard to choose one for sure. I don't care for the HFS but there are a lot of people who do and I'm beginning to understand that it may be the HFS just doesn't jive with my 5150. I have a CE24 that came with HFS/VB and I thought I would just swap it out but the VB is very powerfu and would overpower the two pickups I tried. I ended up putting 5708s in it

I'm curious what amp you have and how the HFS sounds through it. Good luck.l

So here it is, NGD! I was always leaning towards the CE and after seeing it and playing it I wasn't interested in the custom 24 anymore. It's got a few blemishes but that was to be expected for an 18 year old guitar. The best thing is, a while ago I sold a prs with dragon pickups and have regretted it ever since. Dragon pickups are almost impossible to find here in Australia. So the guy selling this CE22 told me it had the original HFS pickups but to be honest I dint think he knew much about it. When I got it home, the first thing I did was check and sure enough, dragons! I was pumped. Now it's off this week to get the frets dressed and neck a bit of tlc. Here it is, and a family shot.

Congrats!!!! I too have a CE 22 with dragon 1s and it rocks. I scored a set of dragon 1s so I'm just waiting for the right recipient.

Nice collection too BTW.

d165129c077b7333cc03b5ecfffda74f1a5607232f9ab6652348d76111f55a9f.jpg

Back