Couple questions on a possible purchase of an SE 24

Prshopeful

Hey everyone, new member here and first thread. Anyways, I'm really looking to purchase the new 30th Anniversary PRS SE Custom 24 in Chestnut. Before I seal the deal on the preorder, I would like to know if I'd be able to toggle the 6th string from whatever standard tuning it's set to, in this case D Standard, to it's relative drop tuning, in this case Drop C. In other words, can I go from D standard to Drop C on the fly, or do the SE 24 trems float, therefore knocking the other strings out of tune? On my strat guitars, this is not a problem, since the strat trem rests flush on the body, and I would like to know if the SE 24 has this same style of trem, to where it is flush on the body that is, allowing for dropping the 6th string on the fly.

The CU24 tremolos are designed to float, both Core models and the SEs (and I have to assume the S2s). However, you can configure them so they are hard against the body (only good for bends down, therefore), and would therefore tolerate drop tunings on the fly.

I must admit my CU24 and SE PRSi with trems are very tolerant of detuning the E string one step on the fly even with the floating trem, minor tweaks to one or two other strings may be useful but aren't necessary in a live on-the-fly gotta drop tune "now" situation.

EDIT: One more thing: you may find that the most annoying thing about drop tuning on the fly may be apparent tuning stability. Making sure your nut is not sticking with the gauge of strings you have is very helpful. Some folks replace the nut, others just open up the string slots a bit.

Last edited:
Back