Combo Amp Question, please help!

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
So currently I am playing through a Bogner 20th Anniversary Head and 2x12 cab. The problem is that I am now in an apartment and well I am rather fond of my apt and do not want to get evicted for noise, at 80 watts even at low volumes it is quite loud.
So at this point I am looking for something in a single 12 Combo.
I personally, am not really a Boogie fan so those are pretty much out. What I am mainly looking for is something similar to the Bogner but no more than 20-30 watts.

Rock to blues, maybe some country thrown in

Suggestions of all sorts, but I am definitely up for hearing about PRS choices

I have heard Blackstar is a nice amp for the $$$
I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 that I love
also the 16watt PRS would be nice
you could also go the power soak route :)

Even 20-30 watts is loud. I believe the comparison goes something like: because of the way we hear, a 100 watt amp sounds twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. It takes a factor of ten to double the perceived volume. If you are really looking for good tone at much lower volume, look in the 5-16 watt range. You can bring the volume up and push hype tubes a little harder while still keeping the apartment!

The reason I said 5-16 is that it would include an awesome PRS amp--the Sweet 16. It won't have the gain on tap, and can still get too loud for an apartment, but it's a great sounding and feeling amp, and takes pedals really well.

This is going to sound ridiculous, so take it for what it is. I have a Fender Excelsior that I re-tubed and am about to replace the speaker. It's funky and retro, but is really addictive. They now sell an upgraded version, with a better speaker and I think they upgraded the tubes, too. It sounds great clean or cranked and won't kill you. I run a boost and an OD/distortion in front of it and it's petty cool...for $300.

thank you for the suggestions! I am definitely looking at the sweet 16 for sure. I have tried the power soak but it is also a matter of physical size, the bogner and cab are pretty freakin big! Also found a limited 2 channel H that has 20 watts but I havent had the chance to play it (will on Wednesday though)

I picked up a Marshall SL5 a while back. I can rattle the windows at 5w through a 212 or play at 5am at 1w through the combo 12" speaker without waking my wife upstairs.

The Sweet 16 can get some surprisingly full tone at a low volume if you're willing to use pedals - I found diming the master and then slowly bringing up the volume kept the most low frequencies, add in an overdrive pedal of your choosing, it should get a pretty good sound at a volume that the neighbors might not mind.

I'll admit almost every amp sounds better with the tubes really cookin', but sometimes what sounds 'best' just isn't practical.

Back