Colors?

swede71

Tja ba!Läget?
Hi guys!
Just finished reading the feb issue of Guitar World.Great story on Eddie and 1984.Also very cool to see Jake e Lee is back,always loved his playing back in the day.Cool to hear Charvel now makes a Jake E Lee model.Seeing Jakes white strat again make me realise how much i love that color combo on "F" style guitars,white with black pickguard,also black with white pickguard i love.With mapletop guitars i really like vintage yellow,Santana yellow,violin amber and tobacco sunburst.Whats your fav colors and or color/pickguard combos?

You might like this one...

9622987626_49df505b8f_c.jpg

I love white guitars too. But I tend to gravitate towards natural-esque finishes - this includes many bursts, even black gold, for example... the "colours of nature" rather than the loud pink/red/purple/yellow stuff. Blue is good, in most variants. I've also got a goldtop because why not?

My HBII is faded gray black - I love that colour on doublecuts only, as soon as it's on any kind of singlecut I just think it looks too metal for me! Which is weird. Been really digging charcoal burst lately too - not a colour I possess in my collection but would like to given the option. It's a little darker than the FGB.

I don't seek out colours specifically though... if a guitar speaks to me it speaks to me...

Kind of on the same page as you guys, with the natural finishes.

As can be seen from my NGD thread, I also dig black body/white pickguard :) however, I still think a natural three-colour burst with a white pickguard is the most beatiful of the pickguarded guitars (no PRS like that, though...)

My favorite PRS finishes tend to be the original jewel colors. Only a few of the new finishes have turned my eye. In order, my favorites:

1. Royal Blue
2. Purple
3. Emerald Green
4. Violet (but ONLY if it has a black back)
5. Black Gold
6. Whale Blue
7. Violin Amber Sunburst
8. Scarlet Red

I used to think I'd like the burst around the edges that became commonplace in 2010 with the "smokeburst" finishes, but I've come to decide I prefer a solid color finish, especially on a maple top guitar. A figured top *and* a burst is just too "busy," and even on a non-figured guitar, a solid color better accentuates the shape of the guitar. On a Strat, a three-color sunburst looks beautiful, but it just doesn't work on a PRS. The only sunburst I've thought looked good on a PRS is the old Violin Amber Sunburst, because it's subtle enough not to distract from the figure and shape of the guitar.

I also don't care for the natural back finishes. They look good when you've got earth tones on the top, but with any bold colors it looks horrendous. I still don't understand why Blue Matteo was given a natural back by default. Or Armando's Amethyst.

Oh, and the best opaque finish is Jet White.

Last edited:
Back