Clippage - The Hammer - This Time Of A Lesser God...

What you're missing isn't a big thing, it's kinda subtle, actually, and that's why it's so hard to describe...
I'd venture to say that it's not always something you really hear, but something you feel. An instrument that inspires you more because it feels or reacts in a special way leads you to play differently, and for me that the sound difference. This is strictly me putting words in Les' mouth.

Les, you're right...we do strive for a similar guitar sound. After hearing that clip, I'd be pinching myself because that sounds just amazing. I'm wondering how the DG30 sounds cranked with the Hammer. :rock: Great clip, btw.

I'd venture to say that it's not always something you really hear, but something you feel. An instrument that inspires you more because it feels or reacts in a special way leads you to play differently, and for me that the sound difference. This is strictly me putting words in Les' mouth.

You're not putting words in my mouth at all. Because the reaction of the instrument to the picking and fretting hands is a big part of it, especially how hard or soft the string is plucked. But I'll say also that the inherent frequency response and resonant "filter" that's in the instrument will also have an effect.

Les, you're right...we do strive for a similar guitar sound. After hearing that clip, I'd be pinching myself because that sounds just amazing. I'm wondering how the DG30 sounds cranked with the Hammer. :rock: Great clip, btw.

Yeah, I kinda figured we had similar tastes. I started pinching myself when I got the guitar! But that's only because I'm kinda into self-inflicted pain (not really).

I will do a clip with the DG30, but I can give you a preview of how it sounds: where the HXDA is an amp with a lot of built-in saturation and "give," so when you hit the front end harder with the guitar it blooms into a sweet distortion, the DG has a bigger and harder dynamic range, and when it's pushed, it stays clean longer and gets LOUD. This might be because I use it in the higher gain position with the switch on the back, but it sounds so good that way that I'm kind of addicted to that setting!

When I'm recording with it, I have to be careful not to literally shake the room apart. So what I generally do with it is use a pedal so that I don't have to go deaf. And it responds really, really well to pedals! I'll probably cut the DG30 track with the Fulltone Secret Freq. For whatever reason, that pedal mates up well to the DG, and sounds darned good with the Hammer at reasonable recording volumes. The only other way I could cut tracks with the DG would be to crank it and use something like a Silent Sister, at least in my home studio. Or I'd have to book a "real" studio somewhere.

Then again, I haven't tried the DG with the HOTG in the normal setting, so maybe it will be a great match that way. Hmmm. I will try that tomorrow.

I've only posted here a couple of times, but lurk and read every day. Les, I really enjoy your thoughtful and informed posts. That guitar and your playing are just fantastic. I'm glad you've found a guitar that suits you so well. Congrats.

HI Les, Do you know what the fret size is on this ? I am interested but pics make me think the fret size might be smaller than I like, I don't see any info on the spec sheets.

Thanks, Dude!

HI Les, Do you know what the fret size is on this ? I am interested but pics make me think the fret size might be smaller than I like, I don't see any info on the spec sheets.

Cat, I don't know what the fret sizes are on any of my guitars! :redface:

If someone were to make me a guitar and asked about fret size I'd just stand there and say, "Ummm..."

I can say that they don't feel different to me than on my other PRSes, however, I do know they're more squared-off because at some point I read that on one of the many websites dealers post here. I got the guitar from Jack Gretz. I'd give him a call, as he probably knows the answer.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dude!

Cat, I don't know what the fret sizes are on any of my guitars! :redface:

If someone were to make me a guitar and asked about fret size I'd just stand there and say, "Ummm..."

I can say that they don't feel different to me than on my other PRSes, however, I do know they're more squared-off because at some point I read that on one of the many websites dealers post here. I got the guitar from Jack Gretz. I'd give him a call, as he probably knows the answer.

I have been wanting to hear this all weekend but no speakers on this computer. I will finally be able to listen tonight! :rock:

I hope you like the tone, Tag!

KILLING LES!!! I sat here with a huge smile on my face saying GO LES GO the entire clip! Great stuff my man! :rock::rock::rock:

And besides that I would KILL for some clips of that quality. :bawling:

KILLING LES!!! I sat here with a huge smile on my face saying GO LES GO the entire clip! Great stuff my man! :rock::rock::rock:

And besides that I would KILL for some clips of that quality. :bawling:

Aw man...if I could only play like you!

Thanks.

The tone's pretty good isn't it?

Les:

If you post anything more like that, I am gonna wanna get Hammered myself!

Call Jack! I'm sure he'd be happy to arrange it. ;)

The tone's pretty good isn't it?

Tone is excellent. Sounds almost single coil or P90ish the way you have it EQed. In any case, I hear a cool unique tone, and a guy who sounds inspired. The playing stands out the most, and makes the tone almost insignificant. That is always the way it should be. :rock:

Tone is excellent. Sounds almost single coil or P90ish the way you have it EQed. In any case, I hear a cool unique tone, and a guy who sounds inspired. The playing stands out the most, and makes the tone almost insignificant. That is always the way it should be. :rock:

Gee, Tag, you're going to make me think I'm actually a guitar player. Thanks!

Finally found this today, as referenced from the other thread.

The guitar sounds great!

Nice playing too, dug the phrasing!

Thanks, Pete!

What I really love about the guitar is how the harmonics just seem to jump off the fretboard...it's uncanny. Now I have a better understanding of why you like the ones you've had built so much.

Real nice Les, it's funny having owned a Stripped 58, and currently owning a HXDA, I can hear those 2 together in that clip but there's something sprinkled on top. Something... woodier but growly but more open but more refined at the same time. Eh it's prob just pixie dust...

Real nice Les, it's funny having owned a Stripped 58, and currently owning a HXDA, I can hear those 2 together in that clip but there's something sprinkled on top. Something... woodier but growly but more open but more refined at the same time. Eh it's prob just pixie dust...

It's hard to put into words, but there's an interesting something extra happening there!

And yeah, pixie dust, too. ;)

Back