Clippage - The Hammer - This Time Of A Lesser God...

László

Too Many Notes
Clip - The Hammer - This Time Of A Lesser God...

As promised per several requests to hear the McCarty Singlecut -- Quick and dirty blues clip. I created a little drums/bass/organ backing track, and then put the guitar straight into the HXDA (no pedals) and Mesa 212 cab, miked with a 57 at the grille.

There's some delay added at the DAW. I didn't have anyone to help move the mic to find the sweet spot, and I was in a hurry taking a break from work, so I just went with it as-is.

The playing is sloppy, and for that I apologize, but hey, I'm a keyboard player. Edit: I re-played the sloppy beginning and remixed it.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/blues-ii-hotg

Also posted in the review thread.

It's the Hammer of the Gods, but that of a Lesser God when I play it! ;)

Edit and Further Disclaimer - I was stumbling a bit while playing, I really need more practice time on the instrument.

Last edited:
Hmm... ...we might be onto something here. Certainly gets the point across that there's something a wee bit different going on with this one​.

I'd be really interested to hear this same track with your Artist V or your 408 while the mic is still up.... You all know I can't hear why this one immediately sounds so different.

Edit: I mean, besides the fact that different guitars of the same model will sound different too. It sounds nice, I just wanna know what I'm missing that makes these particular specifications so more boner-worthy to the golden-ear crowd.

Last edited:
I'd be really interested to hear this same track with your Artist V or your 408 while the mic is still up.... You all know I can't hear why this one immediately sounds so different.

Wellll....that Artist V is on its way to a friend who is also its new owner. Hey, something had to give.

The 408 is at the PTC for a nice setup and stuff.

So...let's circle back in a week. Or so. Meantime, here's the 408 with the HXDA at close to very same amp setting, but this time I used a vibe with it, so it sounds different. It'd sound different anyway because, well, it's the 408. You can especially hear the differences in the lower midrange and midrange (this was posted originally because someone asked if he could get a Trower type sound with the 408):

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/408-hxda-demo

Last edited:
Take another listen, I remixed it and re-played the beginning, as it was too sloppy.

Edit: I mean, besides the fact that different guitars of the same model will sound different too. It sounds nice, I just wanna know what I'm missing that makes these particular specifications so more boner-worthy to the golden-ear crowd.

What you're missing isn't a big thing, it's kinda subtle, actually, and that's why it's so hard to describe. But you have to know what to listen for.

Imagine you're using a minimoog. You've got a nice midrange sound for a lead part. You roll the LPF to just the right setting to warm it up, and then you increase the Resonance ('Emphasis' in the moog world) control just a bit to get it juicier.

That's what the difference is between this guitar and, say, a CU22 or 408. It's that Resonance control turned up to put a little peak on the HPF, not enough to drive it into oscillation, just enough to affect the sound and make it a bit more vocal and growly.

That's what to listen for.

Love it! There's just something magical about a good Singlecut/Les Paul style guitar. I love how it has a warm, fat tone yet still has that cut so it stands prominent in the mix. Lovely midrange crunch there.

Love it! There's just something magical about a good Singlecut/Les Paul style guitar. I love how it has a warm, fat tone yet still has that cut so it stands prominent in the mix. Lovely midrange crunch there.

Glad you noticed about the fatness plus the cut...that to me makes it really stand out!

Doesn't hurt that it's a good match with the HXDA amp, o' course...

That's an amazing combination, Les! Fat, rude, but with a nice clear cut to it. I really like it.

You have fantastic timing and your flow is wicked smooth . Nice playing Les !

Thanks, guys!

For some reason, this guitar seems to drive the amp at just the right frequencies to push out the tube's most juicy overtones.

There's a bump in the lower mids of the frequency response, plus a certain resonant frequency, and I think that's the secret to the success of this design.

It might even take away some of the ultimate versatility of the guitar, compared to an SC245 (a guitar that to my mind is supremely versatile with a very smooth low midrange and low end), but at the same time it is what makes this thing sound absolutely to-die-for as a rock guitar.

I had fun with the track, though I think after I get used to the instrument I'll be able to play better (I think I pushed the beat in spots, and laid back to much in others, plus my fingers are giving me a hard time finding the right notes, so the track was a little repetitive!).

Next clip will be the same track, only with the guitar through the DG30. The guitar shines with that amp, too, and the result sounds different! :top:

That sounds tight and juicy at the same Les
Great great sounding axe, and I also dig the 408
The sounds seems melower and looser some how
But hey, i'm listening through my phone now so I could
Hearing the freq skewed a little :dontknow:
Thx for complying to thee brother's wishes

Really cool playing. Reminiscent (to me) of Clapton's version of Hideaway, which is a compliment of the highest order. I'm not the kind of guy that obsesses or endlessly analyzes "tone", but i know it when I hear it and that has it. Excellent playing, fabulous guitar.

Really cool playing. Reminiscent (to me) of Clapton's version of Hideaway, which is a compliment of the highest order. I'm not the kind of guy that obsesses or endlessly analyzes "tone", but i know it when I hear it and that has it. Excellent playing, fabulous guitar.

Thanks! I guess I'm probably guilty of over-analysis at times, but this guitar just makes it all very simple for me. Plug guitar into amp, dial guitar and amp volumes to desired level, play. ;)

It's like having an automatic "good tone" knob!

Back