Choosing my 1st PRS SE

LCM

Hi there! So I am finally buying my 1st PRS (SE) guitar and am having a major struggle in trying to decide between 3 guitars that I cant really try before buying since I live in Portugal and stores dont usually have them in stock... The guitars are the SE Tremonti, SE cu24 and cu22 (all 2017 models).
Since I am going to order from thomann.com I have a 30 day return option and to easy my suffering a bit I will probably order 2 and return the one I like the less, but still have to choose 2 out of the 3 guitars I mentioned... What are your opinions on them and if you had to choose two out of the three wich ones would you pick?

BTW from youtube what I could notice is that the tremonti screams the most, followed by the cu24, and the 22 is more "soft" and "warm" sounding. I also noticed that the cu24 seemed to lack some personality and sustain (or maybe it was just a bad amplifier) but the fact that it has 24 frets and a better acess to higher notes is something I really enjoy.

From my own experience with SE models (had all three at one time), I'm going to suggest something not on your list. Check out the SE Tremonti Custom. 22 frets with a trem and it is an incredible guitar. In fact, it is the only SE electric that I still own and it holds its own against my Cores. I changed two things on it - pickups to the Core Tremonti set and swapped tuners out for the Mann Made locking tuners.

Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with anything on your list....

I would leave it up to your preferences in looks (single cut vs. double) and switching (blade vs 3 way toggle).
IMO the PRS headstock lends itself best on the double-cuts. I've seen a single-cut with Santana headstock that I liked.
The CU22 won't coil-split unless you add a push-pull, see http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/se-mods.629/page-52#post-327294
CU24 blade is a 3 way, but it has push-pull.
Or your preference is individual volume and tone knobs. Never really needed two volumes on my LPs. Two tones sometimes.
And finally, color. I was dead set on yellow for my Santana.

The 24 will get you in many ball parks The Tremonti will scream more with the higher end pick ups.
Neck shape may be (different)!!! I reckon this is where your going so didn't mention the 22.
They are all good and top Dollar for what you get so their the 2 to order if it was me!!!
good luck my friend.!!!

Thanks for the opinions! Will order the tremonti and the cu24 in the next days and then decide which is best

Hi there! So I am finally buying my 1st PRS (SE) guitar and am having a major struggle in trying to decide between 3 guitars that I cant really try before buying since I live in Portugal and stores dont usually have them in stock... The guitars are the SE Tremonti, SE cu24 and cu22 (all 2017 models).
Since I am going to order from thomann.com I have a 30 day return option and to easy my suffering a bit I will probably order 2 and return the one I like the less, but still have to choose 2 out of the 3 guitars I mentioned... What are your opinions on them and if you had to choose two out of the three wich ones would you pick?

BTW from youtube what I could notice is that the tremonti screams the most, followed by the cu24, and the 22 is more "soft" and "warm" sounding. I also noticed that the cu24 seemed to lack some personality and sustain (or maybe it was just a bad amplifier) but the fact that it has 24 frets and a better acess to higher notes is something I really enjoy.

There are a lot of unknown factor here. What kind of music do you like to play? Do you need 24 frets for solos?

In the past, of the guitars that you have already play (all of them, not just PRS) what did you find that you liked?

Basically with the SE's the bank for the buck is outstanding. One guitar isn't necessarily going to be "better", just will suit your playing style better.

There are a lot of unknown factor here. What kind of music do you like to play? Do you need 24 frets for solos?

In the past, of the guitars that you have already play (all of them, not just PRS) what did you find that you liked?

Basically with the SE's the bank for the buck is outstanding. One guitar isn't necessarily going to be "better", just will suit your playing style better.

well i really like Alter Bridge, Metallica, AC/DC, Dream Theater, GnR's, Megadeth, Carlos Santana, etc. (Basically im all over the place xD). But yes I forgot to mention that I want a guitar that allows me to solo properly, so the 24 frets is a plus, although Tremonti plays his 22 fret singlecut with no real problem so I guess its ok, and I also have a Ibanez s prestige from 2008 and the thing slays and has 24 frets, my main problems with the guitar are just sustain and the fact that it has floyd rose (dont use it much and it is a pain in the ass to re-string and change tunnings). So sustain is also a big factor to me, that is also my biggest fear with the SE custom 24.
Basically the big factors are:
good pickups that deal well with high gain;
Sustain;
playability (will not have a problem with the single cut if it deals with the above better than the cu24);

well i really like Alter Bridge, Metallica, AC/DC, Dream Theater, GnR's, Megadeth, Carlos Santana, etc. (Basically im all over the place xD). But yes I forgot to mention that I want a guitar that allows me to solo properly, so the 24 frets is a plus, although Tremonti plays his 22 fret singlecut with no real problem so I guess its ok, and I also have a Ibanez s prestige from 2008 and the thing slays and has 24 frets, my main problems with the guitar are just sustain and the fact that it has floyd rose (dont use it much and it is a pain in the ass to re-string and change tunnings). So sustain is also a big factor to me, that is also my biggest fear with the SE custom 24.
Basically the big factors are:
good pickups that deal well with high gain;
Sustain;
playability (will not have a problem with the single cut if it deals with the above better than the cu24);

Tell me what you think of this.

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_mark_holcomb_2017

Back