Channel Independent EQ?

starscream67

Hi guys,

I'm currently browsing for a new amp. I know I want a lunchbox size (all valve) head (and matching cab) with 2 channels - great cleans just as important as alternative metal type dirt.

I've noticed a significant price difference between amps without channel independent eq compared to the ones that do have it.

Should no channel independent eq be deal breaker?

My current amp is only single channel and my closest store is 2hrs drive away and they don't sell the brands I'm interested in. So any advice to narrow my search would be much appreciated.

Hi guys,

I'm currently browsing for a new amp. I know I want a lunchbox size (all valve) head (and matching cab) with 2 channels - great cleans just as important as alternative metal type dirt.

I've noticed a significant price difference between amps without channel independent eq compared to the ones that do have it.

Should no channel independent eq be deal breaker?

My current amp is only single channel and my closest store is 2hrs drive away and they don't sell the brands I'm interested in. So any advice to narrow my search would be much appreciated.

It's a nice feature but you can make due if you don't want to spend big bucks. You could always kick in an eq pedal if you really want to change it.

The new Mesa mini heads come to mind. I believe they have separate channel EQ's. I'm also a big fan of indepent channel EQ's, but they're very hard to find on lunchbox amps, especially more modestly priced ones. One of the many reasons I love my PRS SE amp head. Hard to find two fully separate channels at 20 and 30 watts. I realize that isn't the type of amp you're after, just saying it's a really nice feature to have if you really want to tune your sound.

Thanks guys. Andy, I didn't mention any specific amps on purpose but the mini rec is the dream. The mini mark while sounding awesome, has more options than I need. I think it's also worth the extra money for the per channel wattage switch. I guess I'll keep saving and get the dream rather than cheap out and regret it later.

I wonder if PRS will do a lunchbox head? I really love the lightweight metal kind like the mini rec. I really hoped the Archon 25 was going to be a lunchbox but sadly not.

I was also hoping the Archon 25 would be a lunchbox size head, but it only came in a combo.
That is one reason why I jumped at the new Mark Five 25.
And having the EQ for both channels is nice, best amp I have ever owned.

Easy thing to do is buy an eq .....my Mesa boogie rectroverb doesn't have the classic eq that most Mesa's have so I went and bought a Mesa boogie throttle box eq. I not only got the mark 25 eq, I got a wicked dirt pedal and a sustain pedal all in one. Something to think about

Being in England puts you at a price disadvantage for a lot of US brands. I instantly thought of the Mini Mark, too, but the price in the UK is pretty salty. Have you looked at the Hughes and Kettner stuff? Egnater also comes to mind.

Since you're cross the pond, I green with Boogie. I have an H&K Grandmeister that is an insane amp. 0, 5, 18, or 36 watts, independent channels, effects, and the ability to expand through the foot controller and iPad ap. I wasn't a huge fan of the Tubemeister, but love the tonal changes to the GM.

I go back and forth between simple and complex amps, depending on the band situation. When I have to cover a lot of tonal ground, the GM is awesome.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah US stuff is more expensive here unfortunately.

I haven't seen the H&K suggested so I'll look it up.

For non independent eq lunchbox heads that I could use an eq pedal with as suggested, the Engl Ironball and Victory V30 caught my eye - the latter sadly is probably way too loud for what I need. And it's a pity the Ironball has an overall wattage setting, but I guess that's why its half the price of the mini rec.

For lunchbox amps, I'm absolutely blown away by the Suhr Corso. It's probably the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for, but it is the best sounding small amp I've heard so far, so I thought I'd simply mention it in this discussion. I always say there's no "best," only what's best for you, but the quality of this little amp really does lead me to hazard calling it the best out there in this genre (for me).

5 Watts, switchable down to ZERO for direct recording, single channel, all-tube, sounds like a big amp. It was designed by the legendary Jim Kelley, whose other Suhr-built amps go for a ton of money.

Incomparable for roughly the same coin as a Mesa lunchbox. But it's also a simpler amp, designed to do a few things well, as opposed to being all things to all men.

Last edited:
Back