Been test driving an Archon, nice...but...

One benefit of using a Klon or Klone, you can try it with a buffered input, which might help your loop noise. How you load the FX loop can have everything to do with odd issue like yours. There are certain Klone models that can switch between true bypass and buffered input, but the real ones are buffered only. Also, use a really good isolated output power supply or try a battery. Make sure you amp is plugged in to an outlet with excellent grounding. Good luck!

I did try pedals with a 9v in them. Same noise. I haven’t tried the Archer IKON in the loop. It is buffered and can also run off a 9v battery.

Update:
Still LOVING the Archon. Haven’t fixed the loop yet, but have been happy running effects up front. Fun putting together my pedalboard.
Question: are there any small aftermarket footswitch replacements I can stick on my pedalboard? I don’t want to put Velcro on the soft foam bottom of the original foot switch. Thanks!

So the amp was crackling a little a couple days ago. Now it’s doing it a lot. I’m guessing preamp tube going bad? Which preamp tubes should I buy? I’ll just put a new one in each position until I find the culprit. It’s a NOS 2014 amp that probably had plenty of in the store playing time. Plus, I’ve put in quite a few hours on it over the last couple of months.

So the amp was crackling a little a couple days ago. Now it’s doing it a lot. I’m guessing preamp tube going bad? Which preamp tubes should I buy? I’ll just put a new one in each position until I find the culprit. It’s a NOS 2014 amp that probably had plenty of in the store playing time. Plus, I’ve put in quite a few hours on it over the last couple of months.

So my dad’s brand new handwired Deluxe Reverb makes the same sounds at the same times. Must be the power. I read that things like big motors (AC, heater, etc) can do this. Been running the heat more so I’ll test later with the heater off. Just don’t want to blame the amp if it’s not at fault!

So my dad’s brand new handwired Deluxe Reverb makes the same sounds at the same times. Must be the power. I read that things like big motors (AC, heater, etc) can do this. Been running the heat more so I’ll test later with the heater off. Just don’t want to blame the amp if it’s not at fault!

So problem solved. It wasn’t the heater. I have one of those Netgear internet PowerLine outlet units that sends the internet through the outlets of your house, so I can get an internet cable to a computer downstairs. Unplugged that and the clicks and pops are totally gone. Good tip for all of us who were ready to spend a bunch of money on new tubes!

So problem solved. It wasn’t the heater. I have one of those Netgear internet PowerLine outlet units that sends the internet through the outlets of your house, so I can get an internet cable to a computer downstairs. Unplugged that and the clicks and pops are totally gone. Good tip for all of us who were ready to spend a bunch of money on new tubes!

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I have a buddy that's got some high end gear that was making excess noise. He's got an electrician friend that helped him troubleshoot between two rooms for a complete day. Turned out to be the device the water company installed in his wall to allow for remote meter reads. The farther you move away from that wall, the less noise. Technological trade offs!

I hate being stupid, but I also love when it turns out to be something stupid LOL

EDIT: I was not calling the OP stupid, I was just “relating” to the story.

Last edited:
So good that you solved the conundrum!

On a personal note, I really dig New Tube Day!
Looking forward to it actually. I hear changing out my EL34’s for 6L6’s might not actually make much of a difference though. Not sure how to go about changing the character of the preamp section.

As a side note, I emailed PRS about the noisy effects loop. I also provided the “pre loop fix” date of my amp (October 2014). Here is their reply...

“Regarding the loop, effects loop noise can be induced from outside sources, pedals, power adaptors etc. The effects loop cables can sometimes pick up noise induced from the transformer so be mindful of the placement of the loop cables. You can even tie them together which can cancel out any interference.”

It’s almost like they aren’t acknowledging the known issue. I can use a small patch cable from the send and return (no effects at all) and it still sounds really noisy. And there is a popping sound when I switch the loop on. I’ve pretty much settled on putting all my effects out front.
And what does he mean “tie them together”?

Looking forward to it actually. I hear changing out my EL34’s for 6L6’s might not actually make much of a difference though. Not sure how to go about changing the character of the preamp section.

True that changing the EL34s to 6L6s will make a subtle difference, not a huge one.

Preamp section...preamps are where the action is on modern amps, in terms of gain and distortion at reduced volumes. Different preamp tubes have different characteristics.

Without belaboring the point, I use NOS preamp tubes and power tubes whenever possible. I find them more satisfying to play over the long haul, but that doesn’t mean they sound hugely different; the differences can be subtle, but they’re there.

Back