Changing pickups in an S2 standard 24

siamese

I know that PRS guitars use their own spacing, and I know that in general using "f" spaced or non "f" spaced pickups isn't an issue.My particular concern here, however, is that on my 2015 S2 standard 24 the pickups are mounted to the scratch plate. What I would like to know is;

Are there any issues with using a standard sized ["f" or non "f" sized] pickup in regards to its mounting to the pickguard/scratch plate?

I'd like to install some Seymour Duncan pickups, but didn't want to spend the money only to find out they won't fit the mounting holes in the pickguard. I'm thinking of dropping in a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and perhaps a Pearly gates in the bridge, as well as putting in new 500K CTS pots.

Any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated!

Last edited:
As far as mounting to the pickguard, standard sized humbuckers shouldn't cause any issues for you.

However, sometimes the mounting screws that come with your replacement pickups can be too long, such that they bottom out in the cavity and won't allow you to remount the pickguard on the body. When this happens you just need shorter screws, or use your existing S2 screws with the replacement pickups.

I like Seymour Duncan pickups. I've had a Jazz neck in similar guitar before and liked it (along with a Distortion bridge, not everyone's cup of tea).

Last edited:
As far as mounting to the pickguard, standard sized humbuckers shouldn't cause any issues for you.

However, sometimes the mounting screws that come with your replacement pickups can be too long, such that they bottom out in the cavity and won't allow you to remount the pickguard on the body. When this happens you just need shorter screws, or use your existing S2 screws with the replacement pickups.

I like Seymour Duncan pickups. I've had a Jazz neck in similar guitar before and liked it (along with a Distortion bridge, not everyone's cup of tea).

Thanks! that helps a a lot!

I had used distortions years ago, but now that I'm playing more blues and classic rock I found they were too hot. I had switched to the 59's [also tried Dimarzo 36th anniversaries] and liked the 59 bridge but the neck was very bass-y and boomy. So I installed a jazz neck and was wowed - my mids were back and it was so clear! SO a Jazz in the neck and either another 59 in the bridge, or a pearly gates in the bridge were what I was thinking.

I know that PRS guitars use their own spacing, and I know that in general using "f" spaced or non "f" spaced pickups isn't an issue.My particular concern here, however, is that on my 2015 S2 standard 24 the pickups are mounted to the scratch plate. What I would like to know is;

Are there any issues with using a standard sized ["f" or non "f" sized] pickup in regards to its mounting to the pickguard/scratch plate?

I'd like to install some Seymour Duncan pickups, but didn't want to spend the money only to find out they won't fit the mounting holes in the pickguard. I'm thinking of dropping in a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and perhaps a Pearly gates in the bridge, as well as putting in new 500K CTS pots.

Any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated!
I have that exact setup in one of my Les Paul's, great combo

I'm going to play it tonight at a gig in stock form, to really get a sense how these pickup react under full volume to make sure yanking them out is what I want. If it drives me batty, I'll switch back to the LP.

The guitar in question
erehl5.jpg

So tonight I played it through a Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker 2x12. Combo was un-miced so it was channel 1 all night [channel 1 only has two knobs; volume and tone - both were on '10']. Then I just rode the guitar volume all night for various levels of clean, break up, and drive, with the guitar volume on '10' for full "solo boost".

I'd say it sounded its sounded its best in the middle - broken up, medium drive. At its cleanest I could tell the articulation in the top end wasn't quite there [it wasn't awful, but not as clear as the jazz pickups in my LP], and at its most dirty it sounded slightly more fuzzy and slightly dull. All in all, its wasn't bad at all, and I could gig with it and be satisfied - no one would know any difference in the sound but me anyway, and no one complained the guitar sound was bad, not even the guys in the band who've heard me countless times. In fact, I'm likely to play it this way for a month or so before I get around to changing the pickups - the difference is pretty minimal, and being I just bought this it might be smart of me wait to wait a bit before I spend more money on pickups and wiring - I've got a nice couch, but I don't want to sleep on it every night ;-)

Back